ADVERTISEMENT

HBO host says Democrats 'have to answer for' how they 'completely lost control' over schools

I’m not aware of any private schools with ‘entrance exams’ around here.
Maybe that will begin, maybe it won’t?
That’s for the schools to determine in the changing landscape.
But, right now, for Iowa, that’s just a made up hypothetical, to help make your point.

You also weren't aware that Private schools are allowed to teach creationism and white wash history. But when I pointed out that's what was happening in Florida, you ran away from that conversation with your tail between your legs.

They already do. We had several kids at my school who were asked to leave public school and instead of sending them to alt ed our school gave them a chance and free education. Now the school will get a voucher.
IIRC you're not even located in Iowa.

You're so full of shit.

@315hawkfan
There is no use arguing with idiots. You won’t change their mind. They won’t change ours. Just sit back and wait and watch what happens with the bill. If it passes, great! If not, nothing changes. No big deal.
You get your ass kicked on this topic every time. All it takes is a few questions and then you try to play the victim. Lol

Did the local public school provide the resources needed to educate the student? Did your school have a speech pathologist, a special education department, access to occupational and physical therapy in house?

Listen to the clip in the tweet below.

Salient points. This whole idea is imported from an outside think tank and is half baked at best.

I agree, but I think wealth is tied to parent involvement in many cases. Some parents that are barely scraping by simply don't have the time, energy, or funds to be actively involved. Also many of those poor parents didn't have a good role model for what parenting is supposed to look like. One of the biggest factors in children's success or failure in school is their parent's education level and value for education itself.

Then why did they have children?

@315hawkfan
There is no use arguing with idiots. You won’t change their mind. They won’t change ours. Just sit back and wait and watch what happens with the bill. If it passes, great! If not, nothing changes. No big deal.
Post 64 tells you that we’re right and you are wrong. Everything we’re telling you is spot on but you choose ignorance over and over. This does nothing for children in poverty. It add millions to coffers of schools that don’t need it. Schools that can DENY any families they wish.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
That isn’t going to happen. We’ve explained this to you a dozen times. Again, I love how people who aren’t in education think that they know more than those who are. You’re one of these ignorant people. We’re telling you what’s going to happen and how it’s going to NOT POSITIVELY AFFECT kids in poverty and with learning disabilities…but no…you think you know better. You don’t.

I think people are growing tired of lectures from those within the public school system. If you those people know so much, then why is the situation deteriorating in many places? Perhaps it's time to start listening to others.

They can expel a student, yes.
A student shall not be suspended or expelled pursuant to this section if the suspension or expulsion would violate the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

State law requires districts to operate alternative school programs or to provide educational services to expelled students in an alternative setting.

Good memory. I live in NY(your liberal utopia) but I don’t see you complaining about the resident Florida libs commenting. Also, I do pay Iowa state income tax so I do contribute to state education.
They aren't trying to mislead with references to how the private schools operate in Iowa when they have no clue.

Like I said, you're full of shit.

• Haha
I think people are growing tired of lectures from those within the public school system. If you those people know so much, then why is the situation deteriorating in many places? Perhaps it's time to start listening to others.

"Others" have been running the show for over a decade in Iowa.

Reactions: JWolf74
Because there are so many idiots like you who will advocate for fixing a problem affecting 90% of the population by rewarding the other 10%.

• Haha
A student shall not be suspended or expelled pursuant to this section if the suspension or expulsion would violate the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

State law requires districts to operate alternative school programs or to provide educational services to expelled students in an alternative setting.

So you changed your example to a disabled student because you were wrong otherwise?
Your original question said nothing about a disability.
But, yeah, that’s why they have ‘alternative’ high schools like Tate.

No they haven't. Like referenced in the Bill Maher piece, everyone knows the left is firmly in control of the schools.
Not in Iowa. Maybe the "others" just don't know how things work in education? Like that we live in a land that prioritizes local control and federal support and that typically the states is the final arbiter of education laws.

You keep looking to Bill Maher's cable television show for your information, it's obviously severing you well.

Not in Iowa. Maybe the "others" just don't know how things work in education? Like that we live in a land that prioritizes local control and federal support and that typically the states is the final arbiter of education laws.

You keep looking to Bill Maher's cable television show for your information, it's obviously severing you well.

You really feel Republicans are running the schools in Iowa?

You really feel Republicans are running the schools in Iowa?

I honestly don't see how anyone can see it any other way in Iowa. The Iowa GOP has had a stranglehold on state government, representative and executive. That is where policy comes from.

Assuming that those same voters are actual people that live in Iowa, they also have an ability to dictate, or heavily influence, things at the local level.

If I were you I'd ve a little more worried about what the hell the people you helped put in power have actually been doing with their time and resources if this has been such a long term and sustained issue, as you have said.

Reactions: Tom Paris
So you changed your example to a disabled student because you were wrong otherwise?
Disabled students aren't just the ones in wheel chairs you know. Students with ADD, ADHD, and other learning problems qualify under IDEA. The school is still responsible to provide alternate education for any student they expel, disabled or not.

Do you think no one pays for the students to attend Tate? The student's home district is responsible for tuition and transportation to and from alternate schools. Does your private school do the same for students they expel?

Reactions: Tom Paris
I honestly don't see how anyone can see it any other way in Iowa. The Iowa GOP has had a stranglehold on state government, representative and executive. That is where policy comes from.

Assuming that those same voters are actual people that live in Iowa, they also have an ability to dictate, or heavily influence, things at the local level.

If I were you I'd ve a little more worried about what the hell the people you helped put in power have actually been doing with their time and resources if this has been such a long term and sustained issue, as you have said.

What percentage of Iowa educators (leadership and teachers) do you think are Republican?

Do you think no one pays for the students to attend Tate? The student's home district is responsible for tuition and transportation to and from alternate schools. Does your private school do the same for students they expel?
If the student is expelled from a private school, their money will follow them back to public school; you should be ecstatic about that.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Do you realize Tate is part of the Iowa City Community School district?
It doesn't change the fact that those kids aren't allowed to go to the other Iowa City schools under the current setup. No different than the proposal on the table, except more kids will have more options than before.

If the student is expelled from a private school, their money will follow them back to public school; you should be ecstatic about that.
Are you sure about that? It doesn't happen that way between public schools in Iowa. The district receives money based certified enrollment on October 1. If someone moves in after that the school is not given extra money.

Reactions: EasyHawk
It doesn't change the fact that those kids aren't allowed to go to the other Iowa City schools under the current setup. No different than the proposal on the table, except more kids will have more options than before.
I don't think the voucher plan will allow students to choose a different school within their own school district with the exception of an alternate high school like Tate.

What percentage of Iowa educators (leadership and teachers) do you think are Republican?

Don't know and don't care, that's a bigoted line of thought that I'm not engaging.

School boards are voting on by community residents < school boards hire administrators < administrators hire teachers(with various degrees of influence from the school board which is publicly elected which consists of members of the community).

Nobody is shut out of the process and everyone able to contribute.

Reactions: gohawks50
Don't know and don't care, that's a bigoted line of thought that I'm not engaging.

School boards are voting on by community residents < school boards hire administrators < administrators hire teachers(with various degrees of influence from the school board which is publicly elected which consists of members of the community).

No body is shut out of the process and everyone able to contribute.

Bigoted line of thought?

No they haven't. Like referenced in the Bill Maher piece, everyone knows the left is firmly in control of the schools.
Tell that to Kim Reynolds.
The public schools don't receive voucher money. SMFH

You're wrong.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT