ADVERTISEMENT

)))"He not gone" Jacobs All in on Iowa!(((

Not to argue your premise, but there's way more to being a good football player. Ask the Denver Broncos how many LB's in last or this years draft they would trade for Jewell.......

I don't think David would dispute that....My and his discussion was purely related to Iowa actually being way faster than the pundits ever realise and if I listed all the forty times for the last 20 Iowa Lbers, my belief is they would compare to the fastest of the fastest for any College team....

Just going backwards now...

Jewel....4.68

Niemann...4.6

Bower...4.57

Morris...4.67

Hitchens...4.65

Kirksey....4.58

Now if you compare that to Alabama's numbers above...that's pretty good.

Reactions: David1979
Oh I totally agree. Just saying the kind of athletes the southern schools get puts them at an advantage that Iowa has to make up for with training, development and coaching.
No argument here. I just think people spend a lot of time and energy, complaining about our staff and their recruiting issues, when if you really look at the big picture long term, they have a solid plan, and do a pretty damn good job of keeping Iowa competitive most years. I'm still not sold that anyone, (Meyer, Harbough, whomever), could do a better job of recruiting and developing a better team consistently, AT IOWA, then the current staff. Just IMHO of course..

Of course, if you re-read it you’ll see I suggested he didn’t run a great combine number but ran a 458/460 at his pro day..

Because of the things I’ve read on this particular site over the years I have really drilled down on these 40 yard dash times, agility times and comparing the big 10, to the big 12, to the SEC so I’m relatively well schooled on the theory of “speed”....

It’s overused and wildly misunderstood when it comes to the fans...for example I believe Kareem Hunt for Kansas City ran like a 4.64 and I think we all agree he looks electric on the field...

Furthermore still plenty of NFL linebackers who ran f4.7 to 4.8 and up and Iowa rarely fields a linebacker that runs slower than high 4.6s in recent years...

And honestly being “fast” is a composite of a lot of things, knowing what you’re doing, instincts, reading the play quickly, knowing what the rest of the team is doing and quite frankly you can be really fast in 10 or 20 yards and not in 40 and still be the most productive player on the field....

Vontez Burfict is an absolute knucklehead but if you’ve watched him play much he is really aggressive & really fast and he ran something like a 5.1....40 yard dash coming out.
I see what you were trying to say, my apologies. Completely agree with the premise of this post

No argument here. I just think people spend a lot of time and energy, complaining about our staff and their recruiting issues, when if you really look at the big picture long term, they have a solid plan, and do a pretty damn good job of keeping Iowa competitive most years. I'm still not sold that anyone, (Meyer, Harbough, whomever), could do a better job of recruiting and developing a better team consistently, AT IOWA, then the current staff. Just IMHO of course..

I think they could do a little better job at recruiting but they have improved in that area after having a lull for a few years.

I think they could do a little better job at recruiting but they have improved in that area after having a lull for a few years.

Agree on both accounts, but I think that is true of all of us...But more to your point, we seem to know “exactly” what a good D-back looks like....but a WR not so much.

I also agree our “system”, efficiency and total evaluation process has improved immensely in the last 5 years.

Reactions: David1979
Agree on both accounts, but I think that is true of all of us...But more to your point, we seem to know “exactly” what a good D-back looks like....but a WR not so much.

I also agree our “system”, efficiency and total evaluation process has improved immensely in the last 5 years.
Agree, how we continue to identify and develop DB's is beyond me. King, Jackson and Hooker all win DB of the year and all 3 lightly recruited by P5 teams. I do like our new WR coach Copeland, IMO ISM and Smith are the best WR combo we have had since DJK and MM, both improved drastically from last year and are only Soph. I also believe Tracy will have an impact next year too. If we are able to keep both TE's......our offense could be dare I say.......explosive!

Edit- Add Hyde to that DB of the year list.....some of our young DB's do not fit the mold of lightly recruited- Johnson, Brents, Hankins were all recruited pretty heavily by P5

I also agree ate “system”, efficiency and total evaluation process has improved immensely in the last 5 years.

Yeah, when it boils down to it is really just doing a little better at evaluating/recruiting and developing talent at WR and RB. Or just try to hang on to the RBs they get committed but then go elsewhere. Part of it is just Kirk's old school nature when it comes to recruiting, i.e. not going to hard sell, not going to go out of the way to beg these kids to come to Iowa which probably works more with the ego positions. Whereas you don't need that to recruit guys in the trenches or hard working physical defensive guys. With that being said, even in the WR category I think they have some really good prospects in the program now in Smith and Smith-Marsette and maybe some of the younger guys as well like Tracy. Both the former are guys that look like they could develop into all conference level receivers as Seniors.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Just a quick story about "speed".

Back when FanFest was still a thing, I recall Phil Parker giving a talk. Some guy asked him, "What the real difference between 4.5 speed and 4.7 speed? Does it really matter?"

Parker said, "The real difference? The 4.5 kid is further from the play after he makes a mistake."

Bottom line, there's a lot more to it than just speed.

Back when FanFest was still a thing, I recall Phil Parker giving a talk. Some guy asked him, "What the real difference between 4.5 speed and 4.7 speed? Does it really matter?"
I went to the 1st two Fan Fests and the Norm Parker talk during Michigan prep week was fantastic...man was that guy funny.

Were you at the one where Nate Kaeding and Matt Roth did a Q & A?
Sounds familiar I think the first two were in 2003/2004?... we were having a little bit too much fun :D I knew that when the next morning the football they gave us to get signed had 2 Bob Sanders autographs on it.:p I know Roth didn't seem thrilled to be there the couple times I saw him;)

Reactions: Herkmeister
I'm wondering how the latest developments with URB will factor in with Jacobs. I guess if he still schedules an OV we'll get some idea.

Last edited:
OSU wants him to take an official visit this weekend. No decision has been made on whether he will take it.

You almost have to wonder if Meyer leaving may make OSU more attractive at this point. At least to the families of certain recruits. Ohio St will always be Ohio St.

Reactions: Harbinger273
OSU wants him to take an official visit this weekend. No decision has been made on whether he will take it.
OSU LBer coach visited yesterday, he got a call from Day today. I know we have someone visiting him this week.

I believe I mentioned that. Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me? Those are the rarities that I mentioned. I was talking about stepping on the field as 'a LB'.
Doyle is probably the best prepared to play among our young LB's because I have no doubt he's been taught the Iowa 'system' for years and he's physically ready (he better be). Now, does he have the 'instinct' and the desire?
Once again, Jacobs looks like an athletic freak, but there's nothing in his film that screams "I'm ready to play LB in the B1G." But if he can learn the system, his reads, put on muscle and get a heck of lot stronger, he could be an impact player in a couple years.

I'm wondering how the latest developments with UB will factor in with Jacobs. I guess if he still schedules an OV we'll get some idea.

Jestin is considered an OLB candidate and tOSU has commitments from 4 star OH native Cade Stover (#4 instate - OLB) and 4 star Athlete from IN (Craig Young - WR being recruited for OLB). tOSU's LB corp is expected to still be pretty well stacked after the bowl game. Few LBs are moving on. A lot of bodies in the previous two classes ahead of Jestin. I understand the home state pull but I think early PT could swing his attention to Iowa. Hoping so.

Just a quick story about "speed".

Parker said, "The real difference? The 4.5 kid is further from the play after he makes a mistake."

Bottom line, there's a lot more to it than just speed.

Or the 4.5 kid is much closer to the play when he plays like coaches ask. Assuming both players do....

Reactions: Herkmeister
i hope he's been watching the elite D your coaches were able to assemble with all those 4/5* players being wasted there ;)
I would be shocked if Day doesn't make changes on the D staff. Bill Davis, the current LB coach, needs to go. Would not be shocked to see Schiano leave if something opens up at the college level or perhaps as an assistant in the NFL. We do have decent decent depth at LB. Our starting LBs and backups will be mostly juniors and seniors next year. From what I know about Jacobs it may take a year or two before he sees any significant playing time wherever he goes.

Per twitter he is now going to be taking an official visit to Ohio State.

Per Kirk’s rules they should be pulling his offer.

No it doesn’t. I’m guessing if it were explained to you(and I’m sure it has been), you’d continue to post the same crap.

Why do I hit the “show ignored content” button?

No it doesn’t. I’m guessing if it were explained to you(and I’m sure it has been), you’d continue to post the same crap.

Why do I hit the “show ignored content” button?
If you’ve ever listened to the coaches talk publicly their rule is if you commit and take an official visit with another school they pull the offer. Unless they are now making special exceptions which doesn’t seem like a Kirk thing to do.

Now I guess quickly put me back on ignore before you’re offended again on a sports forum.

If you’ve ever listened to the coaches talk publicly their rule is if you commit and take an official visit with another school they pull the offer. Unless they are now making special exceptions which doesn’t seem like a Kirk thing to do.

Now I guess quickly put me back on ignore before you’re offended again on a sports forum.

Thats note the rule actually, never has been...

Open and transparent communication. That’s the key.

Does no one else listen to the Hawkeyereport or Hawk Central podcast? They’ve talked about it and coaches have come on the show they say once you make a commitment you are committed. If you take an official with another school after you commit you are gone. Or are the coaches liars?

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12

Don't know that much about Kirk's rule but if any school makes a practice of pulling the offers of major recruits taking visits after they commit, well, you'd be signing a roster of 2 and 3 star recruits. Big time recruits take visits after committing all the time and it happens at all the major powers. It's just the state that CF recruiting is at today.

Don't know that much about Kirk's rule but if any school makes a practice of pulling the offers of major recruits taking visits after they commit, well, you'd be signing a roster of 2 and 3 star recruits. Big time recruits take visits after committing all the time and it happens at all the major powers. It's just the state that CF recruiting is at today.
This issue has been talked about numerous times on those Iowa podcasts.

Listen to the latest Hawkeyereport podcast that was released today. Tom at the 44 minute mark “if he goes on an official visit he is done.”

Which is not shocking because if you’ve ever heard the coaches on this topic they have been very clear on it.

Listen to the latest Hawkeyereport podcast that was released today. Tom at the 44 minute mark “if he goes on an official visit he is done.”

Which is not shocking because if you’ve ever heard the coaches on this topic they have been very clear on it.

We have had multiple kids go on other visits.

Fant included

Not after they have committed

I’m sorry but thats just not true. As was mentioned above, it’s been laid out many times and quite frankly were not unusual. I’m not even on here that often and I’ve seen it regurgitated 100 times by others.

And nobody Willy nilly encourages other visits. Nobody....believe what you want but it’s not accurate.

Difference between official and unofficial?

Maybe...but you and I both no we aren’t unusual. I’ve even seen other coaches talk about it. It’s not an unorthodoxed practice.

The number one priority is letting the coaches no ahead of time, without deceit or vagueness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT