ADVERTISEMENT

Heads up for next FB season

Problem is that KoK for example was at least able to field an average offense.

Maybe KF's offensive philosophy does handcuff you a bit but other coordinators could at least field averages offenses to compliment the great defenses.
I see a regression since the ‘02 squad. Kirk was still relatively new and B1G teams were not really afraid of us so not overly scheming against us.

Our offense worked and the conference took notice. We got some decent years out of it ‘02 - ‘05 and two things happened:

- Recruitment picked up and we landed some decent WR talent for later (‘08-‘11 years)

- At the same time, other B1G teams learned how to recruit and scheme against us

We managed some success during ‘08-‘10 years because we matched WR talent on offense with a QB that could run. Remember, the plan for those years was to have cement shoes Jake Christensen run it. Obviously didn’t work and they put Stanzi in who totally took advantage. Took some teams off guard with a QB who could use his feet and we won.

But as I have said before, I think KF has suffered severe PTSD from all of those “Rick Sixes.” KF’s MO is to limit turnovers as a top priority.

KoK’s hands got tied from there and couldn’t do much (‘11-12) and voila, enter Greg Davis. Rinse repeat.

Bottom line - I don’t get the hate for Brian. He’s smart and respected in the industry. But Dad’s philosophy still rules the day and BF has his hands tied. We only recruit pro-style- statuesque QB’s and no emphasis on receiver talent. Add in mediocre o-line development under Polesek and it’s a recipe for one of the worst offenses.

BF can’t change because KF won’t let him. The change must come from the top.

"Change" is coming...... sometime. But one thing you cannot deny is that Kirk's recipe to win football games still works......Defense, special teams and ball security wins football games. Time tested and true. Boring and frustrating for some, perhaps.
Wisconsin won a whole lot of basketball games under Bo Ryan and his winning way (defense, free throws and ball security) was basketball's answer to Kirk's "Iowa way" in football. (And like today's restless Iowa football fan, there were plenty of "restless" Badger fans during Ryan's run.....as my B-i-L would remark...."It's like they's rather lose games 88-85 than win then 61-55.")

I see a regression since the ‘02 squad. Kirk was still relatively new and B1G teams were not really afraid of us so not overly scheming against us.

Our offense worked and the conference took notice. We got some decent years out of it ‘02 - ‘05 and two things happened:

- Recruitment picked up and we landed some decent WR talent for later (‘08-‘11 years)

- At the same time, other B1G teams learned how to recruit and scheme against us

We managed some success during ‘08-‘10 years because we matched WR talent on offense with a QB that could run. Remember, the plan for those years was to have cement shoes Jake Christensen run it. Obviously didn’t work and they put Stanzi in who totally took advantage. Took some teams off guard with a QB who could use his feet and we won.

But as I have said before, I think KF has suffered severe PTSD from all of those “Rick Sixes.” KF’s MO is to limit turnovers as a top priority.

KoK’s hands got tied from there and couldn’t do much (‘11-12) and voila, enter Greg Davis. Rinse repeat.

Bottom line - I don’t get the hate for Brian. He’s smart and respected in the industry. But Dad’s philosophy still rules the day and BF has his hands tied. We only recruit pro-style- statuesque QB’s and no emphasis on receiver talent. Add in mediocre o-line development under Polesek and it’s a recipe for one of the worst offenses.

Joe Philbin left after the 2002....Reese Morgan did a very good job filling his shoes as OL coach...been a downward trend as far as overall OL performance since Philbin and Morgan had control of that unit. I think the lack of a stout OL has been a part of the problem with the offensive production for years..

Reactions: Joes Place
Joe Philbin left after the 2002....Reese Morgan did a very good job filling his shoes as OL coach...been a downward trend as far as overall OL performance since Philbin and Morgan had control of that unit. I think the lack of a stout OL has been a part of the problem with the offensive production for years..
RM was a helluva coach.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT