ADVERTISEMENT

Headshots on resumes...do you?

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
Just screening some resumes here, and I've got a lot of qualified candidates for a graphic design position. I'm running across several who include headshots...

I've decided this is more likely to hurt than help. One candidate had a decent looking resume but did a terrible job touching up their headshot... reject...

I have, however pushed some to the next step whose resumes were ugly, because their portfolios were good.

What say you, do you include headshots?

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk
Just screening some resumes here, and I've got a lot of qualified candidates for a graphic design position. I'm running across several who include headshots...

I've decided this is more likely to hurt than help. One candidate had a decent looking resume but did a terrible job touching up their headshot... reject...

I have, however pushed some to the next step whose resumes were ugly, because their portfolios were good.

Signed Lee Harvey 😬

I think the in-person interview is most important.

casting-couch.jpg

I put George Clooney's on there but put glasses on him so when I show up I can say I'm wearing contacts now that's why I look different.

• Haha
Reactions: dirt33
Would I use one myself, no.

Would I even look at them when I'm hiring, no.

I assume it’s just a way for them to make sure you know they are white. Unless you have a very lenient equal opportunity hiring frenzy… Then they want you to know the opposite.

Ugly people need work too - you don't want Trad collecting unemployment do you?

I am currently interviewing people for two open jobs. One is in the USA and one is in Europe. They are the same role - Senior Corporate Counsel, so essentially lawyers with 5-7 years experience.

Most of the applicants are in the same age range. None of the US resumes have come with a headshot. Every European CV has come with a headshot. I think it is a cultural thing, but it is clearly expected as part of the package in Europe. Just an observation, but I thought it was interesting.

I am currently interviewing people for two open jobs. One is in the USA and one is in Europe. They are the same role - Senior Corporate Counsel, so essentially lawyers with 5-7 years experience.

Most of the applicants are in the same age range. None of the US resumes have come with a headshot. Every European CV has come with a headshot. I think it is a cultural thing, but it is clearly expected as part of the package in Europe. Just an observation, but I thought it was interesting.
Yes. Almost universally done in Europe.

Not on my CV. Usually they request a head shot once you're hired for the website and badge.

Frankly, getting my head shot may have been the last time I wore a tie.

Reactions: EasyHawk
BS, you can't not see it.
Good point if it was on the cover letter I probably wouldn't miss it. But it would not put any weight into whether I was hiring the person or not. If you wanted to look up someone's pictures online it's not hard for 90% of the country these days.

Let's be honest.

You are down to two or so candidates. They are all equal.

One includes a headshot and the person is fairly attractive.

file.php

Good point if it was on the cover letter I probably wouldn't miss it. But it would not put any weight into whether I was hiring the person or not. If you wanted to look up someone's pictures online it's not hard for 90% of the country these days.
Sure for most jobs it shouldn't factor in, but you'd see it for sure. For the one I'm hiring, it's a graphic designer and they included a poorly photoshopped headshot...game over.

I’ve never considered it, didn’t think seeing an overweight 60ish year old would help a lot.

I get lots of resumes from India whenever I post. Most of those include a headshot.

I would never. I’m ugly.

In all seriousness, though, a resume is basically a movie trailer for your career. Include the best elements of the story and stop there. The more you slide in there, the more chance there is that someone doesn’t like something.

Plus, photos wander into all kinds of equal opportunity gray areas. Did they choose/reject because of your skin color? Choose/reject because you’re hot or ugly? Choose/reject because of perceived age? So many iffy areas.

I'm a designer and I do not include headshot. I also don't bother going all out over designing my resume bc my portfolio is strong.

Reactions: pezhawk
Sure for most jobs it shouldn't factor in, but you'd see it for sure. For the one I'm hiring, it's a graphic designer and they included a poorly photoshopped headshot...game over.
what was poorly done about it? what if that's how they look?

Sure include one if you are a model or actor, otherwise, LMAO, No.

ADVERTISEMENT