ADVERTISEMENT

Healthcare workers attacked.

What are the solutions? Is "identifying" people enough? Do we need better security in hospitals and care facilities? Would that even help?

I guess the good news is that these aren't politically motivated attacks. Which is what I was expecting when I opened the thread.

Reactions: goldmom
IMO, attacking a healthcare provider should come with stiffer penalties than attacking a regular civilian.

It's not always easy to say that...are they attacking because they are an aholes or are they attacking because they have hosp delirium, going through withdrawal, dementia etc... unpopular opinion is sometimes its part of the job ... we can't stop treating these ppl ...

Now the true bad apples is a whole different story

It's not always easy to say that...are they attacking because they are an aholes or are they attacking because they have hosp delirium, going through withdrawal, dementia etc... unpopular opinion is sometimes its part of the job ... we can't stop treating these ppl ...

Now the true bad apples is a whole different story
Fully understand. My wife used to be a nurse in a psych ward. Im thinking mainly the bad apples. Even in temporary conditions we need to set a higher standard so there is some underlying respect that people will have that hopefully follows into their altered state. You cant beat up an innocent person on the streets and say that you went off the rails mentally and get away with it, so why in the hospital?

Reactions: *33*
Just last weekend, a friend who's a CNA at a nursing home was bitten 3 times, spit on at least twice, punched in the arm, repeatedly insulted, and had poop smeared on her.
And yet she has to tolerate it while there is little she and management can do. This is why the nursing shortage in these type of places will get worse and worse and will be a major problem. You cant expect there to be someone to care for these people while making those people tolerate such behavior. Its a tough balance between humane treatment and actually having anyone that will care for these patients.

ADVERTISEMENT