ADVERTISEMENT

Hearings for Fairfield teens charged in teacher’s slaying will be open to public, media

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

Two teenagers accused of killing a Fairfield high school Spanish teacher last year had their appeals to ban the public from a hearing declined by the Iowa Supreme Court Thursday.

Jeremy Everett Goodale, 17, and Willard Noble Chaiden Miller, 16, have been charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Nohema Graber, 66, with a baseball bat in November, according to court documents.

Both teens are charged as adults.

Advertisment

They had appealed a decision by 8th Judicial District Judge Shawn Showers that would allow the public and the news media to attend a hearing about sending their case to Juvenile Court.

Goodale’s trial is set for Aug. 23 and Miller for Nov. 1.

Reactions: gohawks50
Someone help me out here. Hat is the maximum penalty here? They were juveniles. Is there any way they get life?

Just disgusting, they about make me sick. Embody everything that’s wrong with this country.

And now they and their lawyers will act like they are the victims in all of this. Just disgusting what they did to that lady. And why? Bad grades, didn’t like her so they killed her. Kill them.

And now they and their lawyers will act like they are the victims in all of this. Just disgusting what they did to that lady. And why? Bad grades, didn’t like her so they killed her. Kill them.

To be fair to their lawyers, that's their job.

There are some truly terrible people in this world. Condemn them all you want. But even the most terrible people out there get a lawyer when facing justice for their actions. And the lawyer's job is to defend their client to their upmost.

Yes their arguments can often sound ridiculous and pathetic. They often can sound like they think the terrible people are really victims. But it's also absolutely vital to our system that everyone gets that.

The Duke LaCrosse team sounded like some pretty terrible people too until their lawyers exposed a complete lack of evidence and a prosecutor who was engaging in malicious prosecution of innocent people.

I’m going to ask you a question that will probably offend, but I don’t really care. How do you know they did this crime? Because the police say so? Because it’s been reported in the news? You would condemn them to death based off zero first hand knowledge and only out of your own sense of vengeance.

Your attitude is exactly why the death penalty should not exist in this country. A sizable minority of people convict people based off what they read in the news and are told by police, without waiting for any facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT