ADVERTISEMENT

Heflin done at Iowa, focusing on NFL draft.

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
Per his Twitter. Was hoping to see him back for another year, was a good DT and run stopper/clogger. Noah Shannon time!

Reactions: IAGuy
Waggoner inside... what do you think? Bruce and Jones might need another year but yeah I agree they get a look and are good prospects.
I like it...Waggoner seems to be better suited inside now given his girth, should be interesting battle on the DL. We tend to do well when we have 7-8 able bodies to rotate.

Without any fresh/transfers here's a good list we should see next fall:
VanValkenburg/Waggoneer/Shannon/Logan Jones/Black/Lee/Schulte back?
And then wilcards: Craig/Bruce/McCall/Van Ness/Karchniski

Reactions: millhawk
I like it...Waggoner seems to be better suited inside now given his girth, should be interesting battle on the DL. We tend to do well when we have 7-8 able bodies to rotate.

Yes but you forgot Lorbeck and Schulte has announced he's moving on.

DT is worrisome. Wouldn’t be mad picking up a 300 lber from the portal.

Dang... this sucks. I really wanted him back.
I was originally feeling that way too ... especially since I think that Heflin would have been able to be really productive in '21. However, with that said ... I think that the interior can at least be solid. I expect the DL to resemble something like:

RDE: VanValkenburg, Black
LDE: Evans/Lorbeck/Waggoner
RDT: Shannon, Jones/Bruce
LDT: Waggoner/Lee, Jones/Bruce

I believe that we'll see Bell fully practice what he preaches concerning having guys play both inside and out ... particularly with Waggoner.

I'll be curious to see what our "NASCAR" pass-rush package will look like. I'd presume that we'll see Evans and VanValkenburg in it. Out of Lorbeck, Waggoner, Black, and Lee ... I wonder who will nail down the other 2 spots. Heck, Bruce is supposed to have some wheels ... maybe he'll be able to earn situational reps in the pass-rush package?

Good thing is the staff have time to get a couple portal players if they feel they need it. I have no worry that Parker understands what talent he has and where he needs to fill in some holes. Lots of grad transfers out there with loads of xp and full grown.

ADVERTISEMENT