ADVERTISEMENT

Helicopters spraying this morning

InsaneHawkJJP

HR All-American
Apr 1, 2013
Decorah
I was woken by the awesome sound of a helicopter flying right over our house this morning at around 5:00. Fvcking jackasses don’t give a shit about anybody, just like the assholes who hire them don’t care about the land. Sorry for the rant.

this reminds me of my youth in laramie wyoming in the late 60s when we used to chase the DDT trucks around town in the evening.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I was woken by the awesome sound of a helicopter flying right over our house this morning at around 5:00. Fvcking jackasses don’t give a shit about anybody, just like the assholes who hire them don’t care about the land. Sorry for the rant.
Yeah we do not need farmers. Who needs to eat anyway. It is Iowa farmers rule.

Reactions: destro72
Maybe it was a T.C. Tribute flight ?

I saw one flying around north of Decorah around 7am today. I wonder what chemicals they are allowed to apply like that.

I saw one flying around north of Decorah around 7am today. I wonder what chemicals they are allowed to apply like that.
If I had to wager a guess I’d say fungicide. I’m assuming this was corn or soybeans.

Reactions: JMNSHO
That’s pretty odd for them to be spraying in the dark, at least in my experience. Early morning is generally a great time to spray though. Little wind minimizes the chance for off target movement of the pesticide.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Was it seed corn that was being sprayed to accelerated dry down for an early harvest?

That’s pretty odd for them to be spraying in the dark, at least in my experience. Early morning is generally a great time to spray though. Little wind minimizes the chance for off target movement of the pesticide.
It was right as the sun was coming up. They’ve been spraying beans and corn for the last couple weeks now, not sure what awesome chemicals they are using.

If I had to wager a guess I’d say fungicide. I’m assuming this was corn or soybeans.
Yes, it's fungicide. FYI if you've got a case of athletes foot, go stand under the plane. I got doused a while back when the truck overfilled and mine went away.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Where can I find an ingredients list?
It would be difficult to know the specific fungicide without asking the farmer or applicator. There’s a very good chance they were in the triazole, strobilurin, or SDHI fungicide classes though.

Well, I am sure none of it will end up in our nasty, nasty rivers and lakes.
Chances are actually pretty low. Most organic pesticides aren’t very water soluble like synthetic fertilizers are. There are exceptions, atrazine being a common one that can move in soil.

Yeah we do not need farmers. Who needs to eat anyway. It is Iowa farmers rule.
We do not need unsustainable, destructive, and carcinogenic farming practices. Most land is farmed by and for Big Ag, so spare me the "small farmer" BS. Big corporations run by CEOs whose bonuses depend on maximizing profits DO NOT CARE about long-term anything. They want quarterly profits.

And people spraying DO NOT CARE about anything but getting in and out fast, maximizing profit.

The whole system is totally broken. Capitalism doesn't only eat itself, it eats the planet, and the people on it. That's the real "food" here, folks.

We do not need unsustainable, destructive, and carcinogenic farming practices. Most land is farmed by and for Big Ag, so spare me the "small farmer" BS. Big corporations run by CEOs whose bonuses depend on maximizing profits DO NOT CARE about long-term anything. They want quarterly profits.

And people spraying DO NOT CARE about anything but getting in and out fast, maximizing profit.

The whole system is totally broken. Capitalism doesn't only eat itself, it eats the planet, and the people on it. That's the real "food" here, folks.

what-no.gif

ADVERTISEMENT