ADVERTISEMENT

Hello 8 Seed

We don't want UK, obviously, but really this worrying about other teams losing or winning is silly, isn't it? Since the committee really just shifts around the #25 - #32 teams to balance the number of teams from each conference in each bracket, eat, right? So it's really just luck of the draw at this point.

That said, based on our track record I think there's a 44% chance of getting in Duke's bracket and a 22% chance of getting UK (or at least some combination of at least a 66% chance of getting one of them). And only a 33% chance of getting any other team. Should ISU or Maryland sneak into the 2 seeds then our likelihood of Duke or UK goes up even more.

What does everyone think the odds are that our potential 2nd round opponent will be one of these two teams: UK or Duke? Since we'll likely be a 7,8, or 9 seed, Obviously math tells us it he odds are 2 in 7, so 29%. Based on our history, though, I say it's at least a 67% chance that if we win next Thursday/Friday we'll play one of those two over the weekend ;-(

These guys are 50/50 at best when predicting the right seed. They could be right about Iowa's final seeding...they could just as easily be wrong. That's why Sunday is fun. :)

I happen to think that it's a toss up between 7 & 8 seeding right now and that today's conference tourney outcomes will cement it one way or the other (obvious, I know...obvious). Only other thing that MIGHT come into play is location - committee can move a team up or down a seed to better place them (or a team seeded higher than them) if it comes to that. I haven't really done the "create the bracket" exercise following the committee rule-sheet.

Would be a cool exercise if any of us have time to play it out. See link below for last year's rules - pick your favorite S-Curve and projected final field, then follow along in Section III of the linked document.

NCAA Selection Committee Bracket Creation Rules

th

Pass these around...still plenty of folks can't stand the roller coaster.

Originally posted by El Simbolo:
That said, based on our track record I think there's a 44% chance of getting in Duke's bracket and a 22% chance of getting UK (or at least some combination of at least a 66% chance of getting one of them). And only a 33% chance of getting any other team. Should ISU or Maryland sneak into the 2 seeds then our likelihood of Duke or UK goes up even more.

What does everyone think the odds are that our potential 2nd round opponent will be one of these two teams: UK or Duke? Since we'll likely be a 7,8, or 9 seed, Obviously math tells us it he odds are 2 in 7, so 29%. Based on our history, though, I say it's at least a 67% chance that if we win next Thursday/Friday we'll play one of those two over the weekend ;-(
If we get an 8 seed, I think we'll play in Louisville and would meet Kentucky in second game if we won our matchup.

If we get a 7 seed, it'll either be second game vs Kansas in Omaha (probably not...KU will be protected) or Arizona in Portland.

Why is everyone so sure we win our first game that they are so worried about seeding? JFC, if we win the first game then we play again. This has not happened in how many years? And if you happen to win the second game then the seeding still did not matter. Be thankful we are in the tourny and have a punchers chance of doing fairly well.

I think most of us get it that we have to win a game to even worry about the next. So, as fans, should we stop dreaming? Stop analyzing possible scenarios? I'm enjoying that Iowa's in; savoring the season while we wait for tomorrow,. Doesn't mean I'm going to just sit around and not think about what's possible...

Originally posted by AirForceChiefO:
Why is everyone so sure we win our first game that they are so worried about seeding? JFC, if we win the first game then we play again. This has not happened in how many years? And if you happen to win the second game then the seeding still did not matter. Be thankful we are in the tourny and have a punchers chance of doing fairly well.
I'm not at all sure they win their first game.

It's possible to enjoy the fact that they will be in the field again, and still see that the poor showing in the BTT was not good for their chances of going deeper into the tourney.

Originally posted by AirForceChiefO:
You see this is how it works. Back in December we had a bunch of posters that were convinced we wouldn't finish the big 10 with a winning record let alone make the tournament. Now we have to bitch about an 8 seed. All they do is bitch.

Im telling you, they are not Iowa fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT