ADVERTISEMENT

Help Me Like My IPad Pro

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I got the iPad Pro 11" model with the M1 chip. Good price was too tempting to pass up, and most reviewers are saying that Apple still under-uses the M1, so paying more for the M2 doesn't make sense - and might not make sense (because of new and better apps) for years.

So, anyway I have it.

And I'm thinking of returning it. I have too many gadgets that I don't use enough to justify their price. I don't need another one.

On the one hand, it's a beautifully made piece of gear with a gorgeous screen and fluid actions.

On the other, just setting it up to browse, or read my own ebooks and audiobooks and doubtless other things is proving to be a pain.

HELP!

I need to ave some good experiences with this or it's going back.

Tips, best apps, and whatever else gives you joy from your iPad will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I got the iPad Pro 11" model with the M1 chip. Good price was too tempting to pass up, and most reviewers are saying that Apple still under-uses the M1, so paying more for the M2 doesn't make sense - and might not make sense (because of new and better apps) for years.

So, anyway I have it.

And I'm thinking of returning it. I have too many gadgets that I don't use enough to justify their price. I don't need another one.

On the one hand, it's a beautifully made piece of gear with a gorgeous screen and fluid actions.

On the other, just setting it up to browse, or read my own ebooks and audiobooks and doubtless other things is proving to be a pain.

HELP!

Tips, best apps, and whatever else gives you joy from your iPad will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Return it and buy a refurbished iPad. I'm still using my 2014 iPad. I'll either buy a new one or a recent year refurbished model when this one stops working.

caaec3d035d324715e836ad2d845714a69657cb9dba553a0a56ad74c8fb6fbd6.jpg

Last edited:
Return it and get a mini with a foldable Bluetooth keyboard and small mouse.

Dump the iPad and get a Surface
Frankly, that thought did occur to me. If you are serious, could you compare/contrast some features for me. I mean I will look it up if I get further down that path, but tips would be helpful.

I know how to get things done on Windows (at least on Windows 10), so that's a huge advantage. But aren't Surfaces much heavier and relatively poorly made?

Reactions: Pinehawk
As big as phones are these days, I don’t get the point of an ipad for most uses.
Art and photography. Probably video, too, but I'm not into that.

It's a bit too big for comfortable reading in bed. And you don't need to spend over $100 for that capability, anyway.

Also like it for travel. Not just because it's so light and has good battery life but because it's great to have a really big map showing my location. Then again, I seldom travel, so that's more of a hypothetical value for me.

I have a couple of iPad Pros (the biggest one and the 11). My children and wife use the big one for drawing/art and for video.

I use the smaller one for video, zoom, drumeo (drum lessons and sheet music), and occasionally email, web browsing

That's something else I'm thinking about. Especially while Amazon is selling the Minis starting at $400.

Do you have one? What do you like about it?
I had an old one. But the size makes media and reading so much easier. Keyboard adds the productivity aspect. Obviously not heavy work but good enough.

I have a couple of iPad Pros (the biggest one and the 11). My children and wife use the big one for drawing/art and for video.

I use the smaller one for video, zoom, drumeo (drum lessons and sheet music), and occasionally email, web browsing
for drawing/art/video specifically -- if buying today would the m2 ipad be the way to go or save a couple hundred on the m1?

As big as phones are these days, I don’t get the point of an ipad for most uses.

Better video AND sound for watching movies/netflix/etc remote.

Also better for reviewing documents/work presentations remote when you don't have a computer handy.

I stay a couple generations or more behind the curve as well, as I have little need for all the newly rolled out features. And you can find "A" condition used devices for <half the original list pricing.

If having the latest new stuff is important to you, buy it. I don't need it for what I use the devices for.

That's something else I'm thinking about. Especially while Amazon is selling the Minis starting at $400.

Do you have one? What do you like about it?
Concur with the mini. It's just so much more portable --- and better for reading. But large enough screen that you feel like watching shows and movies on it unlike phones (I HATE watching video content even on my iPhone-plus).

I have a mini with a small keyboard that magnetically clips to it and it's allowed me to basically never have to take a laptop anywhere unless I have to do something with video editing.

Concur with the mini. It's just so much more portable --- and better for reading. But large enough screen that you feel like watching shows and movies on it unlike phones (I HATE watching video content even on my iPhone-plus).

I have a mini with a small keyboard that magnetically clips to it and it's allowed me to basically never have to take a laptop anywhere unless I have to do something with video editing.
Which model keyboard?

Do you have the Mini with cellular? How much storage - 64GB sounds iffy.

Which model keyboard?

Do you have the Mini with cellular? How much storage - 64GB sounds iffy.
I'm a Logitech keyboard fan and I have this one:

Amazon product ASIN B09MPQ3632
If you are planning on using it primarily for reading, video streaming, internet browsing and don't need a ton of storage space for pics and music, I think 64GB is probably sufficient.

ADVERTISEMENT