ADVERTISEMENT

Hemingway: Media Morphed From A Biased Industry Into Outright Propagandists

Hemingway is the editor-in-chief of The Federalist, which totally is not a propaganda machine whatsoever. So I did a quick stop by the Federalist website just now and here are the front page stories:
  • Campus radicals go bananas at the colleges that created them
  • Election-shifting percentage of voters admit to illegal voting in 2020
  • In defense of dog-killer Kristi Noem
  • Federal agency had ‘pallets’ of documents sent to Mar-a-Lago one year before DOJ raid
I'm all for genuine and good-faith criticism of the media, and we've been seeing some of this in the wake of Politico's recent story about the NY Times and Sulzberger. But using Hemingway and the Federalist, during an appearance on Fox News, no less, as the messenger for criticism of media outlet propaganda, is probably not the best example.

Last edited:
Yep they’re both echo chambers. OAN, NEWSMAX, Fox News on one side CNN, MSNBC , etc on the other.

Reactions: Hawkman34
You forgot ABC, NBC and CBS, the three networks that are in American homes morning and night.
Facebook, X, YouTube, etc are in front of the American people almost every second. Reinforcing whatever warped version of reality the user craves. That’s more sinister than those three networks combined.

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
Facebook, X, YouTube, etc are in front of the American people almost every second. Reinforcing whatever warped version of reality the user craves. That’s more sinister than those three networks combined.
Which are all run by openly far right wing nut jobs or people that are more than willing to take a paycheck to promote far right wing ideology on their platforms. The Right Wing owns social media right now. Literally.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkman34
You forgot ABC, NBC and CBS, the three networks that are in American homes morning and night.
Are you intentionally leaving out Fox as a network?

I wonder what percentage of time people under 65yo spend tuned into the major networks for anything other than live sports? Maybe I'll give you Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Other than that though, do a lot of people still gather round the TV at night watching network television?

I would think it's social media > streaming content > niche cable networks > big networks

When folks whine about "the media," they aren't talking about the No. 1-watched cable network in America. It's all of the other "media" that is propaganda and brainwashing us. The No. 1-watched cable network is actually a minor-league team just trying to get someone to watch them and not really a Major League team at all.

The Federalist has just over 200,000 followers. Fox News averages a bit over 1 million viewers at night. In contrast, the nightly news (CBS, ABC and NBC) averages close to 19 million viewers every night.

I wonder what percentage of time people under 65yo spend tuned into the major networks for anything other than live sports? Maybe I'll give you Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Other than that though, do a lot of people still gather round the TV at night watching network television?

I would think it's social media > streaming content > niche cable networks > big networks
Northern is so well read he would know this...but yet makes his post anyway.

So either he is not that well read or he posted knowingly false info. So which is it @NorthernHawkeye ?

The Federalist has just over 200,000 followers. Fox News averages a bit over 1 million viewers at night. In contrast, the nightly news (CBS, ABC and NBC) averages close to 19 million viewers every night.
When you don't know how media numbers work but you pretend you do

It's my new song. Like it?

• Haha
Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
"Fox News’ The Five also was the top show of the first quarter, averaging 3.04 million, followed by Jesse Watters Primetime with 2.79 million, Hannity with 2.43 million, Special Report with Bret Baier at 2.22 million and The Ingraham Angle with 2.21 million. In the 25-54 demo, Gutfeld! topped with 304,000, followed by Jesse Watters Primetime with 284,000, The Five with 275,000, Hannity with 266,000 and The Ingraham Angle with 222,000."

Source: Deadline

LOL

Well, if you can’t trust the Federalist on biased media, who can you trust?

Fox just paid 3/4 of a billion for its non-news. With more to come.

Pecker just admitted to dozens of fake stories about Clinton and catch and kill for Trump.

OAN just retracted and apologized for a Cohen story yesterday.

We don’t know who funds the Federalist but we do know they had a “black crime” section for years.

But it’s ABC, NBC, and CBS …

Yes, but it’s not only about views. It’s engagement. Podcasts, X, Facebook, etc influencers hold their audience. Nightly News is just on in the background as noise often. How else do you explain someone such as Alex Jones that spouts dangerous lies yet. They’re believed because it’s reported in the echo chamber constantly. And if something is repeated enough often enough it can become truth to folks. You are looking at an antiqued way of viewing information.
Often if something factual comes from what individuals in the echo chamber view as a bias source it will be immediately ignored as well. The game done changed newsprint man.

Last edited:

Bingo social media saves you the trouble of having to think about a news event as well. It will decide how you should interpret it for you. Nice and convenient

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Viewership to a certain point is irrelevant. How much sponsors are willing to pay to advertise on programs. Or the price tag a subscription service gives out to content producers is a more accurate measure of reach. Joe Rogan and his 14 million subscribers has more reach than the Nightly News.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT