ADVERTISEMENT

Her Baby Needs Heart Surgery. But She Is Demanding ‘Unvaccinated’ Blood.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A New Zealand couple is refusing to allow their infant son to undergo lifesaving heart surgery using blood from people vaccinated against Covid-19, showing how vaccine misinformation continues to manifest in unexpected ways two years into global inoculation campaigns.
The 4-month-old is critically ill with a severe case of pulmonary valve stenosis, a heart valve disorder. The boy’s mother says she wants her son’s operation to take place without delay, but she has demanded that “safe blood” be used, with her lawyer saying that the family was concerned about blood containing traces of vaccines using new mRNA technology.
The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers and says that the vaccines pose no risk to donor supplies. On Tuesday, the High Court in Auckland will decide whether to grant the health service, Te Whatu Ora, temporary guardianship of the baby so it can remove the child from the family and perform the surgery.
Paul White, the agency’s lawyer, described the baby as “getting sicker with every heartbeat.”
The high-profile legal dispute has gripped public attention and exposed the depths of Covid vaccine skepticism in some communities in New Zealand, a country that, for a time, led the world in suppressing the coronavirus.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The case, and the family’s flawed scientific arguments, highlight the continuing dangers of online misinformation and conspiracist narratives, experts say. The dispute has “become a cause célèbre in the most toxic way,” prompting a spike in hate speech on fringe platforms where conspiracy theories run rife, said Sanjana Hattotuwa, a researcher at the Disinformation Project, a New Zealand monitoring group,
“Hundreds of thousands on Telegram alone have engaged with this content” in the past week, he said, referring to the encrypted messaging service. “Tens of thousands have seen videos” about the baby on platforms that host far-right content, he added. In some cases, he said, there has been an explicit incitement to violence.
Counterspin Media, a conspiracy-oriented outlet that shares content with the American site Infowars, live-streamed a 12-hour “truth-a-thon” over the weekend focused solely on the baby’s case.
Academics and New Zealand’s security services have pointed to ongoing concerns over violent extremism linked to conspiracist, anti-vaccine ideology. This month, a 62-year-old man was sentenced after being convicted of sabotage for plotting to bring down the country’s power grid to draw attention to his anti-vaccination beliefs.

The ill infant’s family and their backers, including a high-profile conservative New Zealand politician, insist that state intervention is unnecessary because of the willingness of unvaccinated donors to provide blood.

In an email relayed through her lawyer, the boy’s mother, whose name is being withheld by The New York Times to protect the privacy of the child, said she was “desperately worried” about the baby’s well-being and did not want the surgery to be postponed.

She blamed the health service for the holdups, saying it was ignoring the family’s concerns and unnecessarily asserting its authority in the courts.
“We can’t understand why the Auckland Starship Children’s Hospital and NZ Blood won’t help to protect him against a risk we have identified,” the mother wrote, referring to the public medical facility and blood donor organization involved in the case.
Sue Grey, the family’s lawyer, said the mother’s fear centered on the “safety of blood from recipients of mRNA technology,” describing this risk as arising from “residual contamination from injected mRNA, or spike protein made by the mRNA.”
(The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines work by inducing the human immune system to identify the spike protein on the surface of the coronavirus and destroy it.)
The family has solicited blood from 30 unvaccinated “prescreened” donors, Ms. Grey said. Among those backing the family’s right to call for “unvaccinated” blood is Winston Peters, who leads the center-right New Zealand First party and held the position of deputy prime minister in a coalition government headed by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
Advertisement

“We’ve got a circumstance where parents are saying they want the donation to their child to be from an unvaccinated donor, and I cannot conceive of why that cannot be done and why we’re wasting time in front of a court,” Mr. Peters said by phone on Friday.
“This is not about being pro- or antivax, or denying the science; this is about freedom, truth and informed consent,” he continued.

Experts have said that providing alternative blood supplies would be complicated by requirements for emergency screenings and quality checks. New Zealand’s official blood service does not distinguish between “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated” blood in its supplies, saying on its website that there is no evidence that spike protein residues, which are quickly absorbed in the system of donors, pose any threat to recipients.
Mark Henaghan, a law professor at the University of Auckland, said he did not expect the standoff to produce a new legal precedent in favor of the family.
In similar cases, he said, “courts have pretty much in all cases gone with what the medical advice is; that’s been the pattern around the world.”
“Parents have never had absolute rights” in such circumstances, he added. “It’s all about what’s best for the well-being of the child.”

Seems like the parents have mis-placed priorities.

DisguisedExcellentBooby-size_restricted.gif

"“We can’t understand why the Auckland Starship Children’s Hospital and NZ Blood won’t help to protect him against a risk we have identified,” the mother wrote, referring to the public medical facility and blood donor organization involved in the case."

Because the risk isn't real and you're a moron who's willing to let you kid die because you suck at being a parent.

I'd wish these parents good luck with their search for untainted blood, and let them know that I was prepared to proceed with surgery just as soon as they were able to secure an acceptable supply.

Don’t recall anyone bitching about directed donation(s) in the past. Looks like the media is trying a little too hard to publicize this case.

As to why, one can only surmise.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE and Flie
A New Zealand couple is refusing to allow their infant son to undergo lifesaving heart surgery using blood from people vaccinated against Covid-19, showing how vaccine misinformation continues to manifest in unexpected ways two years into global inoculation campaigns.
The 4-month-old is critically ill with a severe case of pulmonary valve stenosis, a heart valve disorder. The boy’s mother says she wants her son’s operation to take place without delay, but she has demanded that “safe blood” be used, with her lawyer saying that the family was concerned about blood containing traces of vaccines using new mRNA technology.
The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers and says that the vaccines pose no risk to donor supplies. On Tuesday, the High Court in Auckland will decide whether to grant the health service, Te Whatu Ora, temporary guardianship of the baby so it can remove the child from the family and perform the surgery.
Paul White, the agency’s lawyer, described the baby as “getting sicker with every heartbeat.”
The high-profile legal dispute has gripped public attention and exposed the depths of Covid vaccine skepticism in some communities in New Zealand, a country that, for a time, led the world in suppressing the coronavirus.
Advertisement

The case, and the family’s flawed scientific arguments, highlight the continuing dangers of online misinformation and conspiracist narratives, experts say. The dispute has “become a cause célèbre in the most toxic way,” prompting a spike in hate speech on fringe platforms where conspiracy theories run rife, said Sanjana Hattotuwa, a researcher at the Disinformation Project, a New Zealand monitoring group,
“Hundreds of thousands on Telegram alone have engaged with this content” in the past week, he said, referring to the encrypted messaging service. “Tens of thousands have seen videos” about the baby on platforms that host far-right content, he added. In some cases, he said, there has been an explicit incitement to violence.
Counterspin Media, a conspiracy-oriented outlet that shares content with the American site Infowars, live-streamed a 12-hour “truth-a-thon” over the weekend focused solely on the baby’s case.
Academics and New Zealand’s security services have pointed to ongoing concerns over violent extremism linked to conspiracist, anti-vaccine ideology. This month, a 62-year-old man was sentenced after being convicted of sabotage for plotting to bring down the country’s power grid to draw attention to his anti-vaccination beliefs.

The ill infant’s family and their backers, including a high-profile conservative New Zealand politician, insist that state intervention is unnecessary because of the willingness of unvaccinated donors to provide blood.

In an email relayed through her lawyer, the boy’s mother, whose name is being withheld by The New York Times to protect the privacy of the child, said she was “desperately worried” about the baby’s well-being and did not want the surgery to be postponed.

She blamed the health service for the holdups, saying it was ignoring the family’s concerns and unnecessarily asserting its authority in the courts.
“We can’t understand why the Auckland Starship Children’s Hospital and NZ Blood won’t help to protect him against a risk we have identified,” the mother wrote, referring to the public medical facility and blood donor organization involved in the case.
Sue Grey, the family’s lawyer, said the mother’s fear centered on the “safety of blood from recipients of mRNA technology,” describing this risk as arising from “residual contamination from injected mRNA, or spike protein made by the mRNA.”
(The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines work by inducing the human immune system to identify the spike protein on the surface of the coronavirus and destroy it.)
The family has solicited blood from 30 unvaccinated “prescreened” donors, Ms. Grey said. Among those backing the family’s right to call for “unvaccinated” blood is Winston Peters, who leads the center-right New Zealand First party and held the position of deputy prime minister in a coalition government headed by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
Advertisement

“We’ve got a circumstance where parents are saying they want the donation to their child to be from an unvaccinated donor, and I cannot conceive of why that cannot be done and why we’re wasting time in front of a court,” Mr. Peters said by phone on Friday.
“This is not about being pro- or antivax, or denying the science; this is about freedom, truth and informed consent,” he continued.

Experts have said that providing alternative blood supplies would be complicated by requirements for emergency screenings and quality checks. New Zealand’s official blood service does not distinguish between “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated” blood in its supplies, saying on its website that there is no evidence that spike protein residues, which are quickly absorbed in the system of donors, pose any threat to recipients.
Mark Henaghan, a law professor at the University of Auckland, said he did not expect the standoff to produce a new legal precedent in favor of the family.
In similar cases, he said, “courts have pretty much in all cases gone with what the medical advice is; that’s been the pattern around the world.”
“Parents have never had absolute rights” in such circumstances, he added. “It’s all about what’s best for the well-being of the child.”

Let it die, then.

God's will.

I'd wish these parents good luck with their search for untainted blood, and let them know that I was prepared to proceed with surgery just as soon as they were able to secure an acceptable supply.
Unless I’m reading it wrong, it sounds like they have the donors but NZ won’t allow it.

“The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers…”

That seems odd to me.

Big surprise that the lovely people that frequent this board are wishing death upon a innocent child. I guess it's no different than what you promote on the daily here with the abortion issue. I sometimes wonder if you npcs ever give consideration that maybe you and your anti human views on every issue are truly the real a-holes.

Oh, and it warms my heart that there are still good parents out there looking out for the well being of their child

Big surprise that the lovely people that frequent this board are wishing death upon a innocent child. I guess it's no different than what you promote on the daily here with the abortion issue. I sometimes wonder if you npcs ever give consideration that maybe you and your anti human views on every issue are truly the real a-holes.

Oh, and it warms my heart that there are still good parents out there looking out for the well being of their child

Way to spin that narrative.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, it sounds like they have the donors but NZ won’t allow it. “The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers…” That seems odd to me.

Interesting,.. Do you think that they just don't want to establish a precedent that makes the MRNA affected blood appear like a less desirable product?

Patients have to be their own advocates. I don't agree with the parent's decision. BUT, it should be their own private healthcare decision to make. Not the government.
The hospital is selfishly putting that child at greater risk by refusing their request, than the threat of Covid ever would be for that kid.

Reactions: hwks4ever
Unless I’m reading it wrong, it sounds like they have the donors but NZ won’t allow it.

“The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers…”

That seems odd to me.
It's not odd. They don't want to open the can of worms and there is no logical reason they should. Once you allow this you will have to cater to people only wanting white blood, or white unvaccinated blood, or christian blood. It will be chaos. Just used the damned blood available and keep your quackery at home behind closed doors.

Interesting,.. Do you think that they just don't want to establish a precedent that makes the MRNA affected blood appear like a less desirable product?

There are vaccines OTHER THAN the mRNA ones. I believe their stance is "no vaccinations", not "no mRNA vaccines".

Patients have to be their own advocates. I don't agree with the parent's decision. BUT, it should be their own private healthcare decision to make. Not the government.
The hospital is selfishly putting that child at greater risk by refusing their request, than the threat of Covid ever would be for that kid.

The hospital is?!? No, the stupid parents are

No. The PARENTS are putting their child at risk.

It's not odd. They don't want to open the can of worms and there is no logical reason they should. Once you allow this you will have to cater to people only wanting white blood, or white unvaccinated blood, or christian blood. It will be chaos. Just used the damned blood available and keep your quackery at home behind closed doors.

Reminds of the parents here in Florida that let their child die because when it got sick they thought they could pray it would get better instead of going to the doctor

That seems odd to me.
It does...

Wrong. Like usual for you.

The parents made the choice not the hospital.

And where does this end. Should patients be able to say no black people blood? No blood from dummies? No Iowa State blood?

The parents get to choose their medical care. Sorry, but you don't have to accept what medical providers think is best. You can shop around.

And, lol at people trying to introduce race into this medical rights situation. A pathetic strawman.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
The parents get to choose their medical care. Sorry, but you don't have to accept what medical providers think is best. You can shop around.

You CAN "shop around"

The presumption is that you'll STILL follow modern medicine "Standard Of Care", which this IS NOT.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk

And, lol at people trying to introduce race into this medical rights situation. A pathetic strawman.
bzzzzzzzzz

Wrong as usual.

You didn't address any issue and said someone can choose their medical care. Maybe we should just let people write their own prescriptions too.

• Haha
Reactions: ft254 and Pinehawk
And kill your kid in the process i guess, according to you. Why do you like killing children?

Reactions: Joes Place
Covid vaccine blood...or covid vaccine free blood. Doesn't really matter.

What does really matter, is the hospital withholding a life saving surgery to play games about which bag of blood they give.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
precedent

As I an others have said where does it end. Can someone refuse black people blood. Can a donor refuse to give their blood to a gay person?
Seems like a reach. The couple isn't refusing anyone blood.

The couple is probably wrong in their fears but I don't think it's putting any undo burden on the hospital to use the blood of the unvaccinated volunteers. If it's going to cost the hospital money make the couple pay for the expense.

Personally I'd let my child get the "vaccinated" blood.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Is it bad that I'm kind of wanting the next pandemic to happen so all these ignorant, brainwashed antivaxxers will go and die off? Our species would be so better off for it

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
And kill your kid in the process i guess, according to you. Why do you like killing children?
You're all over the place and can't discuss the topic without adding in a bunch of irrelevant hypothetical situations you thought up.

ADVERTISEMENT