ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s a 7 minute interview with Bob Knight that seems rather fitting right now…

I'm ready for a coach like that. The next guy, whenever or whoever it is, I want to be a defense guy. To heck with style of play.
I remember guys like Ed Horton and Chris Street. Guys who were tough and tenacious. Guys who wouldn’t back down from anyone.

Iowa basketball used to be about grit and toughness. Even if Iowa was not the most talented team on the floor, rarely were they out rebounded or out toughed.

Say what you want about Dr. Tom, but his teams always played with heart. I don’t ever see that with any of Fran’s teams. Occasionally, you have guys like Luka Garza, but most of every roster Fran puts together are made up of guys who are Charmin soft.

I’m sick of it. It’s time for Fran to go.

Can’t win shit without defense and toughness.

Say what you want about Knight, but the guy could coach and kept his players in line.
Here is a knight story that some remember. The player's name was Landon Turner, a very top player in NCAAs and Big 10, who was paralyzed heading into his senior season. Knight kept Turner on as a team captain that year. Knight also kept pestering, insisting that Turner come back to school to get his college degree. Knight had his principles, one of which was his players getting an education, and of course we know about his bad temper etc.

Knight was very complicated person as we know. I read a story about him a long time ago in SI. He was Ohio State's 6th man first one in coming off the bench on a team that was loaded with talent like Jerry Lucas iirc, and NCAA tourney runner-up and also a champioship team. But I think he said he got a lot of his defense first and toughness from his old ohio st coach, i cant remember the coaches name, even though knight butted heads with that coach.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

Can’t win shit without defense and toughness.

Say what you want about Knight, but the guy could coach and kept his players in line.
As they say in football, defense travels, and if you can play really good defense you can do it on any floor, in any arena, whereas your shots are not always going to fall. Sort of the exact opposite of fran's philosophy.

I was just watching last nites game agianst Utah out of the corner of my eye but once again how many times did Iowa leave shooters alone at the arc to try to play help defense when it wasnt needed?

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT