ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s why Greyson Metz turned down scholarship offers from Iowa to walk on with the Wildcats

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Walk into the family home of Greyson Metz, and the first thing you notice is a washer/dryer covered with magnetized baseball and football cards.

There’s one of little Greyson, perhaps 10, kneeling in a red jersey and cradling a football. He’s wearing glasses.

“Oh, God, I’m blind,” Metz jokes of his minus-7 prescription.

Blind? Or does he see something the rest of us don’t?

Metz is 17 now, a senior at Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn. He’s a 6-foot-3, 205-pound linebacker who was named Defensive Player of the Year in the West Suburban Conference. He was offered a full scholarship by Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati and Iowa, which won 10 games this fall and develops players so well, 29 Hawkeyes dotted NFL rosters to start the 2019 season.

More at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200115-k2pyww2pb5gyvfqgikovixh44y-story.html

f2315ee2af9bcbbd04be4f8faa5ae762.gif

He is a good kid, very nice family. Lot of Iowa people in Glen Ellyn, and of course Jordan Walsh and Matt Bowen are West alums. Would have been nice to get him...

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If his grades are 5.2 on a weighted 5.0 scale and an ACT of 32, he'll get an academic scholarship or two, even at Northwestern. 8 AP courses is about 1 year of college courses. He will get financial assistance and great Northwestern networking contacts.

Northwestern does not give academic scholarships. All of their financial aid is need based.

There are academic scholarships available if you choose Northwestern. While not given ‘by Northwestern’ they are available.

If his grades are 5.2 on a weighted 5.0 scale and an ACT of 32, he'll get an academic scholarship or two, even at Northwestern. 8 AP courses is about 1 year of college courses. He will get financial assistance and great Northwestern networking contacts.
Wrong. My son got a 35 on the ACT and didn’t get a scholarship to Northwestern. Getting a 30-32 at an elite high school is pretty normal. My daughter got a 33 and didn’t get into Northwestern or Notre Dame. For anyone that thinks that a high ACT score or SAT score will get you into any school is silly. Many factors are involved. BTW my son is now at Loyola of Marymount and my daughter at U of Missouri. The good news is both want to apply to Medical school at Iowa.

Walk into the family home of Greyson Metz, and the first thing you notice is a washer/dryer covered with magnetized baseball and football cards.

There’s one of little Greyson, perhaps 10, kneeling in a red jersey and cradling a football. He’s wearing glasses.

Metz is 17 now, a senior at Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn. He’s a 6-foot-3, 205-pound linebacker who was named Defensive Player of the Year in the West Suburban Conference. He was offered a full scholarship by Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati and Iowa, which won 10 games this fall and develops players so well, 29 Hawkeyes dotted NFL rosters to start the 2019 season.

More at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200115-k2pyww2pb5gyvfqgikovixh44y-story.html

Good for him. Why did this need a thread?

Reactions: And1Hawk
didn't read. all the ads and pop ups in the link made it a difficult task and quite frankly I don't care too much to keep fighting the pop ups

Reactions: BubsFinn
Iowa city is about a 4 hour drive. In the greater scheme of college football that's basically staying home.
Turning down a free ride to pay $70k a year is crazy, but if mom & dad are willing & able to pick up the costs good for him I guess.

I think the bigger question is why wouldn’t NW offer him a grey shirt? Problem easily solved. That is really a slap in the face.

Iowa city is about a 4 hour drive. In the greater scheme of college football that's basically staying home.
Turning down a free ride to pay $70k a year is crazy, but if mom & dad are willing & able to pick up the costs good for him I guess.

Read what Blair posted above. Iowa took Jay Higgins. Very possible he didn't have a scholarship available at Iowa after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT