ADVERTISEMENT

Here is Iowa's new football schedule for 2023

Is the Big Ten expected to eliminate divisions for 2024?
Yes. No divisions. Hawks escaped yearly games vs USC and UCLA. Whisky, Illini, Purdue and Nebraska got those. Give Barta all the crap you want but him and Kirk getting out in front with their pressers complaining about of the new conference, saved them from facing a tough schedule. That and Barta volunteering for every conference committee. See there is method to his madness.

I do understand what I'm saying is extreme. But fan apathy may be at an all-time high under Kirk, surpassing the early 2015 offseason. This entire scenario tracks 2015, but is gonna be worse. Season ticket sales are going to crash. The 2023 home slate is super weak, as was 2015.

The biggest games are Illinois, Purdue, MSU, and Minnesota, none of which will drive season ticket sales. In 2015 it was Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Pitt. We had two games (Illinois State, North Texas) under 60k, and Pitt was only 63k.

Iowa went 12-0 that regular season, and averaged only 63k per game. Once the season ticket sales are weak, it is really hard to catch up. Minnesota was a mid-December sellout. Our final home game when we were 10-0 facing Purdue, we drew 63k.

Unless Joey Labas is CJ Beathard, we are going to really struggle to fill Kinnick.

That Purdue game was hellacious weather the day before and early morning of. A normally 6.5 hour drive from Sioux Falls to IC took us 10. Looking back I would never do that again. Not worth the death glares coming from my wife in the passenger seat.

This is off the top of my head:

Defense: We lose Waggoner, Evans, Shannon, Moss, Merriweather, Campbell and Benson. We should gain Jacobs. Harris too? I would think Nwankpa sees the field. Fisher and Higgins, while not Jack and Seth, have shown to do a pretty good job. Dline has depth. Back end 5 may be Dejean, Schulte, Nwankpa, Hall/Harris, Castro. All results in the defense being just fine although there are some question marks at the linebacker position.

Offense. Very interesting. Lose Petras, Ragaini, both fullbacks, LaPorta, Plumb. New starting QB. Think that Proctor starts day 1. Move Colby inside. Hopefully Davidkov gets healthy and one of the other young guys emerge. Could see Proctor and Richman/Davidkov at tackles, Colby and Stephens/Elsbury at Guard and Jones/Myslinkski at C. Good backs. Hopefully KJ and Bruce stay. Lachey #1 tight end and may Ostrenga next. Outside of Kaleb Johnson, Leshun Williams, Lachey, Bruce and KJ, everyone else is an unknown or unproven and one would think that the portal will have to be used extensively. Maybe an offensive lineman or 2, QB, multiple receivers.

Special teams: I think Taylor stays, Stevens solid.

Coaches: Predicting KF, PP, Woods, stay. Barnett and BF gone.

All of that adds up to: who the hell knows what is going to happen? lol. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.

so how cold is it in Iowa in November? Last time we played you it was September and warm and gorgeous. November 11 in Iowa sounds very cold.
Iowa wrestled Oklahoma St in Kinnick Stadium on Nov. 15, 2015. It was a beautiful day with a high of 60.

I think average high temp is 40 that time of year, low's in the 20's.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I do understand what I'm saying is extreme. But fan apathy may be at an all-time high under Kirk, surpassing the early 2015 offseason. This entire scenario tracks 2015, but is gonna be worse. Season ticket sales are going to crash. The 2023 home slate is super weak, as was 2015.

The biggest games are Illinois, Purdue, MSU, and Minnesota, none of which will drive season ticket sales. In 2015 it was Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Pitt. We had two games (Illinois State, North Texas) under 60k, and Pitt was only 63k.

Iowa went 12-0 that regular season, and averaged only 63k per game. Once the season ticket sales are weak, it is really hard to catch up. Minnesota was a mid-December sellout. Our final home game when we were 10-0 facing Purdue, we drew 63k.

Unless Joey Labas is CJ Beathard, we are going to really struggle to fill Kinnick.

People who want to maintain their seats for future seasons beyond next season will renew anyway. You jump out of line for your seats you go to the back when you try getting seats again and USC and UCLA and the reshuffle are coming in 2024. Casual fans maybe not renew. We for sure are renewing ours.

It’s ok the offense isn’t helping with that either.
I suspect next year more emphasis will go into the three game packages if/when season sales slump.

There are just so many other ways to spend entertainment $$$ than following a boring, predictable program.

Once you lose a segment of the season tix buyers, they don't return.

It won't be the same QB and the OL will be more experienced with Proctor coming in January. All 3 RBs a lot more experienced.
More experience doesn't mean squat if the talent isn't there to be developed. Just because guys are a year older doesn't mean they are automatically going to be better.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
That Purdue game was hellacious weather the day before and early morning of. A normally 6.5 hour drive from Sioux Falls to IC took us 10. Looking back I would never do that again. Not worth the death glares coming from my wife in the passenger seat.
I watched the Purdue game at a hawkeye bar in Tampa Florida. 80 degrees. ☺Friends were calling about how bad the weather was in Iowa. I was in Florida for hawkeye basketball in Orlando.

I watched the Purdue game at a hawkeye bar in Tampa Florida. 80 degrees. ☺Friends were calling about how bad the weather was in Iowa. I was in Florida for hawkeye basketball in Orlando.
Nov20RegSnow.jpg

Our route took us almost exactly through the red numbers while it was happening. But hey, how many times are you going to have a chance to watch Iowa clinch a division title in Kinnick?

Reactions: NI hawk
More experience doesn't mean squat if the talent isn't there to be developed. Just because guys are a year older doesn't mean they are automatically going to be better.
I think our OTs would do better as OGs. Proctor is a natural OT. We need a bookend to him. Assume one or two OL come in the portal.

It seems like Ohio State is a rare opponent these days. Could be a good thing, but I imagine you would want them in Iowa more often.

Michigan as well. Although they've been a little easier to beat, it seems they are back on track. A win over them always seems to carry more weight. Getting Penn State is probably an easier game, but as far as prestige it's a drop off.

You'll likely see Ohio State and Michigan even less as the league continues to grow.

About every game will be a coin flip and it will be Iowa's last chance to realistically be in a Big10 CCG.

so how cold is it in Iowa in November? Last time we played you it was September and warm and gorgeous. November 11 in Iowa sounds very cold.
There are usually multiple really freaking cold games in November each 5-10 years. Michigan at Iowa in Nov 2013 was the coldest actual temp ever recorded for a game at Kinnick at about 14 degrees above zero. I was there and it was really cold but luckily only a light win.

The Purdue at Iowa game in 2017 was even worse as there was a roaring 40 mph wind with temps in the 20s. The wind chill was below zero and an whole lot of people left before and at halftime, not to come back. I had never seen that at the near 250 home games I went to.

Are you thinking of traveling to Iowa City for next years Rutger's game?

I forgot to add that the November normal weather is pretty nice 40's-low 50's.

People who want to maintain their seats for future seasons beyond next season will renew anyway. You jump out of line for your seats you go to the back when you try getting seats again and USC and UCLA and the reshuffle are coming in 2024. Casual fans maybe not renew. We for sure are renewing ours.
You're just a casual fan with nothing better to do those saturdays.....of course you wouldn't miss a chance to see your hero give it one more try with a cakewalk big ten west schedule. My condolences to you and the Ferentz family that will be going away in '24 but I'm glad the fake ID era of bten west scheduling will be over

Electric vest and electric socks or the Hot Hands heated foot inserts or Hot Toes inserts.
Long Johns and a coat that repels wind. Good gloves.
Then you might not need that much depending on Mother nature.
Alwas good to have it though just in case.

After five years in Iowa City, I'm now in Baltimore. Not going to lament missing Iowa's late fall/winter/early spring. Very pleasant summers, but winter there sucks.

Oof what a weak schedule. Even Iowa should qualify for a bowl after running that gauntlet.

Gary Barta is already drafting another extension.

Like I said a few weeks ago, we’ll go 8-4 in 2023 with a weak schedule and all will be “well”.

That schedule might be softer than 2015.
i'll admit it right now that if they go 12-0 i'll be writing to barta to reward KF like it's 2021 :)

8 down, just Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn state, Maryland, Michigan, UCLA, USC (and whoever is added next)

Does it count if they build new stadiums?
You’d have to hit any new stadium to keep the “I’ve seen Iowa in every big ten stadium” claim.

Northwestern will need a repeat visit soon I suppose.

Reactions: sober_teacher
On the bright side with UCLA joining, those of you who have never been to the Rose Bowl will get your chance every few years to see the Hawks in the Rose Bowl. 😃

Not to hijack the thread, but I never realized how important season ticket sales are to good attendance. Illinois has actually been selling a lot of tickets once it started winning games, but we have SUCH low season ticket sales due to years of fan apathy that it’s a VERY tall task to sell the place out.

Our final two home games are extremely close to sellouts, but that’s honestly probably with over 45k buying a single-game ticket to each … hardly anyone who sells out their stadium is achieving that every week. Season ticket sales give most big-time programs the “attendance floor” necessary to get sold out games.

ADVERTISEMENT