ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go: Nebraska Grades

It's not just the ability to counterattack. Red is a clingy guy that ties up hands and slows the match down, then attacks in quick bursts. He moves really well laterally. He got a quick takedown which meant Murin had to come to him. He could sit back, tie up hands, slow the match down, and reattack whenever Murin shot.

The "bad matchup" part really is in the handfight. Murin has a really hard time getting a hold of him and getting to a good set up. This leads to him shooting from positions that aren't open, and when you take bad shots against Red he makes you pay.

For another example, watch the Marinelli-White match. White uses his length to keep Marinelli from getting to his collar and post series. Marinelli is prolific on his feet and in 14 minutes of wrestling against White, he's only managed 1 takedown. White's handfight gives him problems, just like Red's handfight gives Max problems.

What seemed to be the problem with white was, well, almost 2 damn periods of laying down on the mat with his head hanging without a single stall call.

Grip - My guess is that you are mixing Kemerer with either Kaleb Young or Kemerer's HS teammate Josh Maruca (Now at ASU).

Kemerer and Labriola never wrestled each other in HS. Kemerer was the 2015 AAA State champ his senior year at 145 lbs. Labriola won 2 AAA state titles (2016-2017) his Junior and Senior years at 170 lbs.

In 2015, Kemerer wrestled 145 and beat Hayden Hidlay in the Qtrs, Jon Ross in the Semis and Patrick Dugan in the finals. In the consis, Hidlay went on to beat Jarod Verkleeren to finish 3rd.

In 2015, Labriola was a sophmore and wrestled 152 at States. In the semis Josh Maruca beat Labriola and Vincenzo Joseph beat Kaleb Young. Joseph went on to beat Maruca to secure his 2nd state title. In the consis, K Young beat Nino Bonnacorsi (Pitt) and lost to Labriola for the 3rd place match.

Kemerer and Labriola are also from opposite ends of the state. Kemerer wrestled at Franklin Regional (Suburban Pittsburgh) and Labriola wrestled at Bethlehem Catholic which is in the Lehigh Valley (North of Philadelphia) and about 300 miles apart.
Ok, good info Thanks. I was going by what I thought the announcer said. My mistake then.

This is what heard,
I believe they also said 157 lber Peyton Robb was a True Freshman, but he is in fact a RS Freshman (which others reported he was on the lineup card).

He looked good regardless, but they either slipped up in what they meant, did some poor research, or I heard it wrong.

It wasn't important enough to watch the replay to verify if I heard it wrong....;)

But looks to me like they have a good kid for the next 4 years, another Minnesotan (Owattona), which Venz is too (Farmington I think).

Reactions: Grip220
I believe they also said 157 lber Peyton Robb was a True Freshman, but he is in fact a RS Freshman (which others reported he was on the lineup card).

He looked good regardless, but they either slipped up in what they meant, did some poor research, or I heard it wrong.

It wasn't important enough to watch the replay to verify if I heard it wrong....;)

But looks to me like they have a good kid for the next 4 years, another Minnesotan (Owattona), which Venz is too (Farmington I think).

I was impressed with Robb too. Really liked the way he wrestled.

I think several of our guys like Murin and Young have a tougher time against long, quick, athletic wrestlers like Red, White, Carr, and Monday. Notice what all of these guys have in common. I don't like these match ups for these guys and I always dread it when I see them hit the mat. Both of our guys are very good wrestlers, but struggle with athletes a bit.

Reactions: #10Hawk
I thought White's only chance was to stay in a tactical match, which is a big ask, with the strength/size, and gas tank difference. Had he ridden out in the first, got choice, neutral, a second takedown, you still are only up 4 and have to stave off the coming assault, so not too realistic...
White also couldn't escape from bottom against Wick, and gave up 6 back points in the process.

I think several of our guys like Murin and Young have a tougher time against long, quick, athletic wrestlers like Red, White, Carr, and Monday. Notice what all of these guys have in common. I don't like these match ups for these guys and I always dread it when I see them hit the mat. Both of our guys are very good wrestlers, but struggle with athletes a bit.
Let me take a stab in the dark[ no pun intended] They are all athletic because they are black?

Reactions: artradley

White is more of a grinder with good positioning and finishes when he gets in.

Murin waits around to counter, forget it, he needs to attack first and keep at it with Red.

Desanto looked ill from the start of the match. Ive seen photos and rewatched the video and that is not how he normally looks. Apparently was good enough to go though.

Desanto looked ill from the start of the match. Ive seen photos and rewatched the video and that is not how he normally looks. Apparently was good enough to go though.
I thought this same thing he was actually breathing heavy and slow back to the center at the end of the first and that’s obviously not normal but he plowed through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT