ADVERTISEMENT

Here's how/when the Most Outstanding wrestler vote works/happens

It sounds like when the coaches vote for football standings. Give the task to a GA??

It sounds like when the coaches vote for football standings. Give the task to a GA??

Makes you wonder if there was some bias based on:

* Spencer was a freshman
* Some people think a wrestler (and normally it's the best wrestler) on the best team should win it
* The emotion of the national championship clinching pin

I would love to see the criteria coaches are supposed to use when voting.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Always had a problem with the OW award because there is just way to many ways to look at it.

Is it the best/most dominate wrestler of the year?
Is it the wrestler who goes through the toughest bracket?
Is it the kid who comes out of nowhere to win it?
Is it the kid who pins his way threw?
Is it the kid from the best team who wins a big match in the finals?

Always felt they should have more awards at all end of year tournaments!

Reactions: Dagboi
It is a tournament Award.
Bo Nickel had the Outstanding Moment.
Lee was the Oustanding Wrestler. He did it all tournament.

I am guessing the criteria is whatever the coach that is voting wants to use, and apparantley for most of them they went off of the big moment that clinched the tournament. Bo wasn't even second for OW, at least one of this teamates was ahead of him in that catagory.

There should be a set of criteria to determine what qualifies as OW.

Lee's dominance?
Bo's clutch?
Valencia taking out NC
The toughest field to get through

The list is endless..

I am guessing the criteria is whatever the coach that is voting wants to use, and apparantley for most of them they went off of the big moment that clinched the tournament. Bo wasn't even second for OW, at least one of this teamates was ahead of him in that catagory.
I like your post.

In your opinion, how did the coaches get it wrong? Or what are we not seeing?

Is it documented anywhere on what the coaches are supposed to be looking for in terms of how they then vote?

Who would be your top five for outstanding wrestler?

Lee should have won it easily. No wrestler in the tourney had to face 2 guys the quality of a NaTo and Suriano. Decks NaTo and handles Suriano easily. Also, Nickal was put on his back ever so briefly and would have been pinned under freestyle rules.

This isn't the first time nor will it be the last time this happens.

Take it out of the Coaches hands, just give it to the guy who scores the most team points.

Some perspective on how Spencer Lee got screwed out of 2018 Outstanding Wrestler.
Lee: 27 Team pts (2 pins, 2 TF)
Nickal: 23 Team pts (1 pin, 1 major)
Lee: opponents Unr, 14, 6, 2, 4
Nickel: opponents Unr, 16, 9, 5, 2
Lee: Match points 60-4
Nickal: Match points 47-20

****Copied from a tweet I saw

Some perspective on how Spencer Lee got screwed out of 2018 Outstanding Wrestler.
Lee: 27 Team pts (2 pins, 2 TF)
Nickal: 23 Team pts (1 pin, 1 major)
Lee: opponents Unr, 14, 6, 2, 4
Nickel: opponents Unr, 16, 9, 5, 2
Lee: Match points 60-4
Nickal: Match points 47-20

****Copied from a tweet I saw
wow!

Some questions for everyone:

Were the vote totals publicly revealed?

Do they reveal which coaches voted for which wrestler?

Is the criteria on how the outstanding wrestler should be chosen documented anywhere? Or is it up to the coach to make up his own rules?

I would also guess part of it is that many coaches didn't want to have to vote Spencer Lee outstanding wrestler 4 times, and this year might be easier to justify than the next three ;)

Also glad this happened:

Had a guy point this out on Twitter..."C'mon Chief, he has three more tourneys to win it."

I wouldn't be so butthurt except for the fact that Bo slept through the tourney and I think Myles putting him on his back threw cold water on him and woke him up and he did what Bo does. But Bo is now 8-2 against Myles which includes a major and pin this year. Here is my order:

Lee, Cenzo, Zahid, Zain, Yanni, Nolf, Snyder, Bo, Gross, Maccio

MVP of the finals: Bo

I don't know how the points thing rolled out but I think Lee, Cenzo, and Yanni had the toughest brackets. Zain was dominant as usual but still regular decs in semis and finals. Nolf looked like a cat playing too much with his food. He ate but not as quick as usual. Nobody besides PSU fans gave Cenzo a chance to repeat but he did in a tough bracket. Zahid outwrestled one of the best technical/positions guys out there plus beat a very tough Amine in the semis.

Who would be your top five for outstanding wrestler?

Lee - no explanation necessary
Retherford - Several dominant wins, 3rd title
Macchiavello - dark horse champ, beat 5, 3 and the darling of the tournament that no one else found a way to beat (Conel)
Snyder - 3rd title, won rubber match w/Coon
Valencia - beat returning champ, as well as third placer
HM - Diakomaholis, Wilson, Conel, Perry, Nolf

Last edited:
Lee - no explanation necessary
Retherford - Several dominant wins, 3rd title
Macchiavello - dark horse champ, beat 5, 3 and the darling of the tournament that no one else found a way to beat (Conel)
Snyder - 3rd title, won rubber match w/Coon
Valencia - beat returning champ, as well as third placer
HM - Diakomaholis, Wilson, Conel, Perry, Nolf
They really should reveal how the coaches voted

Just because Spencer is a freshman should not exclude him from this honor

Reactions: Dagboi
If anyone used outstanding moment of the tournament, I would not give that to Nickel either. To me, it was Conel pinning Moore. That had a bigger buzz inside the Q than any other moment. Honorable Mention goes to Tariq Wilson dismantling Brock and taking Gross to OT.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
The award is intended for the Outstanding Wrestler of that 3 day tournament. Thats it. The criteria couldn't possibly be simpler.

There have been plenty of years where there are several legit contenders, separated by an eyelash. Then you start to get into the "career" thought pattern and/or guy on the winning team to separate them, etc.

Spencer Lee freight trained his way thru one hell of a bracket, and was still denied. Its a GD travesty and I don't care who you root for.

You don't vote based on "well he'll get one down the line cause he's only a freshman". Either he was the Outstanding Wrestler of THIS tournament or he wasn't. He was, and it couldn't have been more glaring.

ADVERTISEMENT