ADVERTISEMENT

Here's something I didn't know ... secret pardons are a thing.

Hawkize!!

HR All-American
Nov 19, 2001
Trump could pardon himself and his worthless underlings in secret, only to be revealed as and when federal charges are filed.

Reactions: h-hawk
If you don’t announce them or they aren’t filed, it’d be difficult to prove they were issued while he was President.
Also seems like they have to be somewhat specific in what they admit to as the criming, and therefore extremely incriminating if it does not work.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Also seems like they have to be somewhat specific in what they admit to as the criming, and therefore extremely incriminating if it does not work.

We think that.

"... do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974."

Reactions: noleclone2
We think that.

"... do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974."

Huh.....

That wasn’t very secret.

Pardons for Trump’s demon seamen will backfire on him (and them) spectacularly. Particularly if they are subpoenaed to testify against him in court. They can’t plead the 5th, and if they get caught lying, off to the slam they go for perjury.

Reactions: noleclone2
Huh.....

That wasn’t very secret.

Pardons for Trump’s demon seamen will backfire on him (and them) spectacularly. Particularly if they are subpoenaed to testify against him in court. They can’t plead the 5th, and if they get caught lying, off to the slam they go for perjury.

I was responding to the comment that the pardon had to be for specific enumerated crimes. Nixon's pardon was pretty 'blanket'.

I was responding to the comment that the pardon had to be for specific enumerated crimes. Nixon's pardon was pretty 'blanket'.

Was it ever officially challenged?

If not, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a legit pardon.

Reactions: lucas80
I get that.

I was simply pointing out that
A. It wasn’t secret &
B. The ramifications of pardons will likely blow up on HIM, as much or more, than them.

Something else to remember, a pardon would only cover federal crimes. That they can’t plead the 5th amendment from testifying about. The question is, can states use that federal testimony against them? Ima bet it can, but I’ll bet we are going to find out.

I get that.

I was simply pointing out that
A. It wasn’t secret &
B. The ramifications of pardons will likely blow up on HIM, as much or more, than them.

Something else to remember, a pardon would only cover federal crimes. That they can’t plead the 5th amendment from testifying about. The question is, can states use that federal testimony against them? Ima bet it can, but I’ll bet we are going to find out.

The theory is that he could pardon himself and others but do it in secret. So, the pardon will get tested only if indictments are brought ... and since it's not disclosed, there's no political blowback (especially w.r.t. the impeachment / removal process in the senate).

We should have ZERO doubt that indictments will be brought. Mueller (for all the grief that the left gave him) pretty much said as much in his testimony to congress - DoJ says sitting presidents cannot be indicted, so he saved the evidence.

Expect indictments within weeks.

The theory is that he could pardon himself and others but do it in secret. So, the pardon will get tested only if indictments are brought ... and since it's not disclosed, there's no political blowback (especially w.r.t. the impeachment / removal process in the senate).
There would most certainly be challenges to that. And, in theory, be struck down if presented as a defense.

For starters, pardons would have to come with a paper trail to wave in the filthy, commie lib prosecutors faces. I can’t imagine he can just leave a sealed envelope with a note that says “Hereby, open this if the Trump haters lock up my and Vince McMahon’s kids.”

As well, I’m pretty sure that any documents sealed under existing secrecy acts are unsealed by date. Not on a ‘If needed to save their asses from prison’ basis.

This sounds like something cooked up by Sydney Powell, affirmed by Johnathan Turley and regurgitated down to Qcumbers.

PS.
There really is no double-secret probation, either. Dean Wermer was yankin’ Bluto’s chain.

There would most certainly be challenges to that. And, in theory, be struck down if presented as a defense.

For starters, pardons would have to come with a paper trail to wave in the filthy, commie lib prosecutors faces. I can’t imagine he can just leave a sealed envelope with a note that says “Hereby, open this if the Trump haters lock up my and Vince McMahon’s kids.”

As well, I’m pretty sure that any documents sealed under existing secrecy acts are unsealed by date. Not on a ‘If needed to save their asses from prison’ basis.

This sounds like something cooked up by Sydney Powell, affirmed by Johnathan Turley and regurgitated down to Qcumbers.

PS.
There really is no double-secret probation, either. Dean Wermer was yankin’ Bluto’s chain.

Not sure where the hostility's coming from. Suggest you curb it.

"The clause granting presidential clemency power does not require a pardon to be publicly revealed: Article II, Section 2 merely says the president “shall have the power to grant reprieves and pardon offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.” This section contains no other restrictions on presidential pardoning power."

Curb what? I wasn’t being hostile.

G’day.

My bad. Perhaps I was being oversensitive to being compared to Sydney Powell and Bluto.

Turns out a 'secret blanket pardon' is possible, especially for others. Hasn't been tested in the courts ... but is possible. What is harder is extending that pardon to himself, since even Nixon's lawyers thought that is a bridge too far.

As for your official secrets act observation ... they have to be held in secret only until any statutes of limitation on these crimes pass, I'd think. But I'm not a lawyer, though I do play one on HROT.

We shall see.. Cheers!

Trump could pardon himself and his worthless underlings in secret, only to be revealed as and when federal charges are filed.

How do you find out about them if they're secret? Weren't they all secret until someone noticed? It's not like they take out full page newspaper ads

If you don’t announce them or they aren’t filed, it’d be difficult to prove they were issued while he was President.

If you mail yourself a pardon in a sealed envelope it counts according to the rules of banana republic dictators.

Reactions: mnole03
How do you find out about them if they're secret? Weren't they all secret until someone noticed? It's not like they take out full page newspaper ads

Pardons are often announced. He's going to announce many pardons today. I understand that it's possible to do the same ... but not announce them. That way, they remain 'secret' until they need to be disclosed (if at all) if/when charges are brought against the person being indicted.

ADVERTISEMENT