ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, Nashville Has a Cool Strip, and All . . . .

The-Hack

Rookie
Dec 6, 2021
Sure, Orlando on the first is warmer, nearer beaches and Disney, but Nashville is a nice location for a bowl.

The Hotels are pricey, but w/i a short distance of the stadium is the strip (Broadway), with a lot of eateries, live music, etc.

Let me recommend Merchant’s on the strip. I make it a point to eat there for our bowl games and SEC Tourney appearances.

Nashville is growthy . . . ten construction cranes in sight wherever you are downtown, and has some crime.

But you don’t get that “Afganistan Vibe” like in parts of Orlando and Memphis.

I liked meeting Iowa fans last year.

I also met a family who were Iowa State fans who wore Iowa swag/colors and came to your game to support you all. You will not see Louisville fans supporting us ANYWHERE (unless they are delivering a pizza to our homes or changing our tire).

Should be an interesting matchup, again, of strong defenses. We finished 20th in Total Defense and 12th in scoring defense.

It looks unlikely that Levis will play at QB for us. Our backup is a serviceable former Kentucky HS player, Sheron, who looked decent in his one start in a loss to South Carolina.

Perhaps our greatest weakness on the season has been long-snapping. We have rolled lots of long-snaps back to the kick holder, and put at least one snap 5 yards over our punter’s head at Mizzou.

Oddly, then, in our last game against Louisville we went 4 for 4 on field goals and had otherwise solid special teams play.

Our O-line has had a lot of issues, really beginning in the Citrus Bowl last January. We gave up 8 sacks in Orlando and more than 40 through the regular 2022 season, I think last in the nation. We have struggled containing twists and stunts from athletic D-linemen, and Levis frequently seemed to hold the ball too damn long.

Should be a defensive classic!

See y’all in Nashville!

Last edited:
I recommend Jack's BBQ place on Broadway. A tiny joint that has a line you pick your food as you go thru but highly rated online. I like sort of sweet BBQ sauce and they have it. I like it so much we took a bunch home, and when ran out, we ordered 4 bottles online that was about $65!!!!

And a couple of doors down the street is Second Fiddle bar. They had a sort of country/rock band playing when we went in. Only about 20 people at that time listening. After 1 or 2 songs, 2 band members went outside for a smoke, and the band leader (probably joking) asked if anyone out there played drums or guitar. So I raised my hand and got on stage for a song I had never heard before and played drums! I am famous - played on Broadway! LOL

Oh, and it seemed like there were at least 4-5 bars in 1 block that had live music - some coming from the balcony. Sidewalks so crowded you had a hard time walking and staying on the sidewalk.

So I raised my hand and got on stage for a song I had never heard before and played drums! I am famous - played on Broadway! LOL
Sweet!

If you ever go to the Liberty Bowl, Memphis, you can walk with your feet 10 feet off of Beale!

Opry Land Mall can provide some retail therapy for your wife. There used to be an ice igloo that the kids may enjoy right across the street, if you’re seeking a couple of things other than the bar/music theme. Franklin is a fun suburb as well.

Opry Land Mall can provide some retail therapy for your wife. There used to be an ice igloo that the kids may enjoy right across the street, if you’re seeking a couple of things other than the bar/music theme. Franklin is a fun suburb as well.

If you need to shop here, go to the green hills mall. $$$$

Sure, Orlando on the first is warmer, nearer beaches and Disney, but Nashville is a nice location for a bowl.

The Hotels are pricey, but w/i a short distance of the stadium is the strip (Broadway), with a lot of eateries, live music, etc.

Let me recommend Merchant’s on the strip. I make it a point to eat there for our bowl games and SEC Tourney appearances.

Nashville is growthy . . . ten construction cranes in sight wherever you are downtown, and has some crime.

But you don’t get that “Afganistan Vibe” like in parts of Orlando and Memphis.

I liked meeting Iowa fans last year.

I also met a family who were Iowa State fans who wore Iowa swag/colors and came to your game to support you all. You will not see Louisville fans supporting us ANYWHERE (unless they are delivering a pizza to our homes or changing our tire).

Should be an interesting matchup, again, of strong defenses. We finished 20th in Total Defense and 12th in scoring defense.

It looks unlikely that Levis will play at QB for us. Our backup is a serviceable former Kentucky HS player, Sheron, who looked decent in his one start in a loss to South Carolina.

Perhaps our greatest weakness on the season has been long-snapping. We have rolled lots of long-snaps back to the kick holder, and put at least one snap 5 yards over our punter’s head at Mizzou.

Oddly, then, in our last game against Louisville we went 4 for 4 on field goals and had otherwise solid special teams play.

Our O-line has had a lot of issues, really beginning in the Citrus Bowl last January. We gave up 8 sacks in Orlando and more than 40 through the regular 2022 season, I think last in the nation. We have struggled containing twists and stunts from athletic D-linemen, and Levis frequently seemed to hold the ball too damn long.

Should be a defensive classic!

See y’all in Nashville!
My wife and I have been to Merchants a few years ago. First floor. We were on our way to the Masters. I recommend it also. I stole a pen from them.

We stayed at the Hilton next to lower Broadway. I recommend it also.
But alas, we will not be going to the Music City Bowl. Have fun everybody.
Hit up a few honky-Tonks on lower Broadway.

Last time in Nashville, I probably had 4 dozen wings at Rippys. Smoked and then they drop them in the fryer and re rub 🤤

Sure, Orlando on the first is warmer,
Anybody who, like me, attended Iowa's Gator Bowl contest against Florida on Dec. 30, 1983, would quibble.

We arrived in Florida a week before the game and went to DisneyWorld in Orlando on Christmas Day. We drove down, so we had our snowmobile suits with us, and we wore them to meet Mickey Mouse, but we still froze. We had Disney pretty much to ourselves. It was miserable. You could pluck frozen orange juice right off the trees. We even drove all the way to Miami to try to find warmth. When we arrived around noon the next day, it was 36 degrees.

And back in Jacksonville, the pipes in the stadium, radiators in cars, and just about everything else was frozen to the bursting point. So Florida in the winter can be nice, but it also can be pretty brutal. In fact, that Gator Bowl game of 1983 may be the coldest game I've ever attended . . . and that includes November games in Minny and the blizzard game in Iowa City in 1991.

You can have Florida and everything that goes with it, from hurricanes to alligators to DeSantis. Nashville, even if the weather doesn't cooperate, is a better bet, IMHO.

Anybody who, like me, attended Iowa's Gator Bowl contest against Florida on Dec. 30, 1983, would quibble.
Obviously, there are exceptions.

December 31, 2006, we beat Clemson in the MCB, and it was 70 degrees at kickoff, not even sweater weather.

So far, it looks like more typical weather for December 31st in Nashville, but any models/predictions this far out are really just annual averages.

I hope we are above 50 degrees and dry, perfect Kentucky/Tennessee football weather.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT