ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Wrestling for Life supporters

GG121AND2

HR All-American
Aug 1, 2007
I got an email message from the mother of the first Jack McNerney Memorial Camp Scholarship.

"Hi, this is Poppy. Thank you so much for donating to the Jack McNerney wrestling camp scholarship through wrestling for life.

I am honored to be the first wrestler to receive this scholarship to attend an Iowa Hawkeye wrestling camp. I will be attending the 5-day all girl wrestling camp in July. I am a 6th grader at Ames middle school and I just finished my 4th season of wrestling.

This means a lot to me and will help me on my journey to become a State and then a National champion. It will also help me achieve my goal in wrestling in college. This inspired me to continue wrestling and never give up. Wrestling is a sport for all people and when I started wrestling when I was in 3rd grade in changed my life. It changed me to be a different person and to discipline myself. I see all of these girl wrestlers doing these amazing things, changing the world, I want to be like them and not let anyone tell me I can not do it. It gives me motivation and helps me as a wrestler and in the other areas in my life.

Girls wrestling is growing the sport all over the country. It is time that Iowa sanctions girls wrestling so that I and all of the other girl wrestlers have the opportunity to go farther in the sport that we love. I ask that you please reach out to the Iowa High School Girls Athletic Union and tell them to sanction girls wrestling.

Thank You so much! This will help me a lot! Keep getting after it! You are AWESOME!

GO HAWKEYES!

Poppy Malone"

Your generosity has funded this scholarship through 2023. Thank you.

I got an email message from the mother of the first Jack McNerney Memorial Camp Scholarship.

"Hi, this is Poppy. Thank you so much for donating to the Jack McNerney wrestling camp scholarship through wrestling for life.

I am honored to be the first wrestler to receive this scholarship to attend an Iowa Hawkeye wrestling camp. I will be attending the 5-day all girl wrestling camp in July. I am a 6th grader at Ames middle school and I just finished my 4th season of wrestling.

This means a lot to me and will help me on my journey to become a State and then a National champion. It will also help me achieve my goal in wrestling in college. This inspired me to continue wrestling and never give up. Wrestling is a sport for all people and when I started wrestling when I was in 3rd grade in changed my life. It changed me to be a different person and to discipline myself. I see all of these girl wrestlers doing these amazing things, changing the world, I want to be like them and not let anyone tell me I can not do it. It gives me motivation and helps me as a wrestler and in the other areas in my life.

Girls wrestling is growing the sport all over the country. It is time that Iowa sanctions girls wrestling so that I and all of the other girl wrestlers have the opportunity to go farther in the sport that we love. I ask that you please reach out to the Iowa High School Girls Athletic Union and tell them to sanction girls wrestling.

Thank You so much! This will help me a lot! Keep getting after it! You are AWESOME!

GO HAWKEYES!

Poppy Malone"

This is good stuff! Keep up the good work!!

GO HAWKEYES!

Poppy Malone"

Good stuff.. never let it be said the cesspool lacks any redeeming qualities

GO HAWKEYES!

Poppy Malone"

This is what changed my mind re:girls/women’s wrestling. I’ve always said wrestling is a sport for everyone and the lessons the sport imparts are universal. Why deprive girls the chance?

Like most sports, it needs to organically grow and the market will eventually accept it. For example, I followed Felicity Taylor’s career after she wrestled in Night of Conflict. But she’s one of the few. When Iowa (finally) approves it, there will be much more of that.

I know the lack of coverage/excitement for the women is frustrating for them but it comes down to name recognition. It will eventually come.

ADVERTISEMENT