ADVERTISEMENT

Hillbilly Elegy

gohawks50

HB Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
I watched the movie based on J.D. Vance's upbringing today. He certainly had a difficult childhood. His family suffered from poverty, spousal abuse, drug abuse and child neglect. I know usually the book is more in depth than movies so some of you probably have more insight. For those of you that read the book or watched the movie what Republican or Democrat polices do you think would have helped his family?

These are the polices that I think might have made his childhood/young adulthood easier:

Support for abused women
Meals provided for children during the school year and summer
Universal healthcare including mental heath
Additional assistance for higher education

These all seem like policies more likely to be championed by Democrats.

What are your thoughts?

Imagine going through the hell that Vance did growing up. Now imagine becoming an adult and trying to make sure that future kids wont get it any better than you did.
Exactly what I thought. How could someone who suffered so much from being poor and the lack of healthcare for his family become such a far right politician?

Exactly what I thought. How could someone who suffered so much from being poor and the lack of healthcare for his family become such a far right politician?
Because he made a craven decision to pursue political power no matter the cost to himself or others?

Reactions: theiacowtipper
Imagine going through the hell that Vance did growing up. Now imagine becoming an adult and trying to make sure that future kids wont get it any better than you did.
He believes he is entitled to it through this merit. Economic success has a morality play, prosperity theology.

Other people are bad people thus deserve their poor state in life.

Reactions: Huey Grey
He seemed like he was OK when he was true to himself and saying never Trump, this is America, we don’t need a Hitler, and trump is the worst. Then he went nuts. Fortunately he keeps shooting himself in the foot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT