ADVERTISEMENT

History’s Greatest Mysteries. Who was D.B Cooper?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Is anyone else excited for this to premier on the History Channel in November? I assume there was some money related reason which prevented them from resurrecting the History’s Mysteries brand name.
I’ve seem a lot of promos the last few weeks, and I am willing to be convinced that John Wilkes Booth survived, and quietly lived out his days under a new identity.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The new show History Channel show has kicked off with Laurence Fishburne hosting. I ended up watching 3 hours of stuff on Cooper today. It remains one of the most fascinating unsolved crimes in American history. 11/24/1971 was the date of the hijacking, and interest in the case has never waned.
For the record, I am leaning towards Robert Rackstraw, the former special forces soldier who was dishonorably discharged in early 1971.
They air part two tonight.

Reactions: dgordo and GOHOX69
The new show History Channel show has kicked off with Laurence Fishburne hosting. I ended up watching 3 hours of stuff on Cooper today. It remains one of the most fascinating unsolved crimes in American history. 11/24/1971 was the date of the hijacking, and interest in the case has never waned.
For the record, I am leaning towards Robert Rackstraw, the former special forces soldier who was dishonorably discharged in early 1971.
DB was a big story back in my day. We kinda figured he got away with the loot, though some showed up on a river side...

I’m guessing it’s the one who transitioned to a woman years later. Then died I think? It was on the documentary they did like 5 years ago.

The B part is just scriveners error due to some AP reporter. The mystery of D Cooper would have been less rhythmic :)

I love the history channel, always have, but there is no concrete answer to any of there mysteries.

I saw this and it reminded me of this article.

Watched some of an old episode(2011, I think) "Brad Meltzer's-Decoded" today on The History Channel...Something I found a little interesting: The money Cooper got away with had some kind of tracking ink or something like that implanted on each individual note... They published a list of each individual serial number and up to the airing of that episode, very few of the implanted bills had been used anywhere in the world.

Reactions: billanole
Watched some of an old episode(2011, I think) "Brad Meltzer's-Decoded" today on The History Channel...Something I found a little interesting: The money Cooper got away with had some kind of tracking ink or something like that implanted on each individual note... They published a list of each individual serial number and up to the airing of that episode, very few of the implanted bills had been used anywhere in the world.
Meltzer claimed it was former NWA flight attendant Kenny Christiansen.

DB was a big story back in my day. We kinda figured he got away with the loot, though some showed up on a river side...
The money showing up is fascinating. Many people think it was planted, and part of a misdirection plan. Why would money show up 9 years later on a riverbank?

• Haha
Reactions: billanole
The money showing up is fascinating. Many people think it was planted, and part of a misdirection plan. Why would money show up 9 years later on a riverbank?
Why is a very good question....
In today’s world, the money would not allow for a long time rich person life style.
DB has another idea...

Why is a very good question....
In today’s world, the money would not allow for a long time rich person life style.
DB has another idea...
I always felt like a few bills showing up was designed to create a false impression as to where Cooper landed. And, possibly the idea that he died.
As to the money, $200,000 in 1971 is the equivalent to over a million today. Cooper paid $18 for the ticket from Portland to Seattle. If Cooper lived he could have bought some property, and lived a decent existence.

One of the things that is fascinating is how well thought out was the hijacking? Many of the people interviewed in various documentaries mention Cooper's choice of clothing and footwear, specifically. Was Cooper skilled enough to use a basic parachute and guide himself down into a clearing? Otherwise he was going down blind, and subject to getting caught in a tree, or even being ripped to shreds by branches. Rolling an ankle on impact. All kinds of things.
So, was Cooper skilled enough to plan and execute the hijacking, to know so much about the airline and the jet on this particular flight, but dumb enough to think blind luck and a pair of dress shoes would be enough on a parachute drop at night? To me it always seemed like it had to be someone highly skilled at parachuting, and someone able to navigate in open country. Rackstraw fit those criteria to a T.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT