ADVERTISEMENT

Hlas puts Pitt game in top 8 "most memorable" Kinnick games

what got me was no one left until 10 to 15 minutes after the game....when was the last time that happened?

I noticed that too. The Greenwood intro, and everything else included, it was a top 3 game I've ever seen in Kinnick. I'm 28, and the only clear #1 for me is 08 PSU. After that this might be #2, I'm just not sure.

Reactions: ichawk24 and B1G
lol, I was just kidding around. I am genuinely happy for Iowa to be 3-0. Check my prior posts and you'll find I'm about as reasonable as any fan can be.

Just a little humor. I didn't see the Hawkeye game, but if you guys rank it that highly, I'm sure it was a good one.

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
lol, I was just kidding around. I am genuinely happy for Iowa to be 3-0. Check my prior posts and you'll find I'm about as reasonable as any fan can be.

Just a little humor. I didn't see the Hawkeye game, but if you guys rank it that highly, I'm sure it was a good one.

It was the "how." 57-yard field goal as time expires.

My middle daughter is the Hawks good luck charm against pitt. The last time she was at a game before this Saturday was the 4th quarter comeback win against them.

It was a great game, no doubt. From the emotional opening with Greenwood through last second kick.
A lot of fun to see the players really enjoying themselves with the fans after after the game. Celebration kept up for a good amount of time after.

OK, I went to my first game in the mid 70's, but I was a kid going with my dad. The drive to Iowa city, if you'd asked me then, was an all day drive (even though the math obviously doesn't add up).

I went to all but three of those games. '81 I was a senior in high school...simply wasn't an option. In '85 I had taken a hiatus from college and, working full time at a sub shop, I could not afford a ticket to any game much less the Michigan game at over $300.

The others were all memorable....some thoughts on each:

Iowa-Wisc 2004 -
First, I had wisconsin fans in the row in front of me and my brother in law (a wisconsin alum) sitting with us. Before the game, the fans in front of us asked who to watch. I remember saying "You'll hear matt roth's name a lot". He freakin' ate it up at that game. The other was that my brother and I bought a foam cheese tie for my brother in law and, for some reason, started taking a bite out of it every time Iowa scored. It was a nub at the end of the game. People asked about the last time the fans just stuck around after the game ended, this was one. Another, earlier, was against Illinois and I was in the student section. We stood and chanted "Defense" for 10 minutes after a huge defensive stop to win (can't remember the year).

Penn State '08 (just those words bring a smile to my face)
I went with my brother. I had a feeling about this game after friends were saying we had no chance. Many were saying we were the best 4 loss team in the country at that point and I was one. The year I first saw a Hitler rant. Cold and windy, I was dressed for it with many layers and my Hawkeye dreadlocks hat. Dude behind me kept grabbing the dreads for luck. Had a blast and we partied until 4:30 am that night drinking cognac and smoking cigars in my garage. I was still hungover on Tuesday....but it was worth it.

Iowa-Indiana '09
Fun game. This is the one that would not make the list for me. I'd rank both MSU in '10 (total beatdown and the sash-hyde pic/lateral was something you just don't see very often) and Wisc '08 above it. My brother and I went from WTF to holy crap in one quarter against Indiana. Sitting in the 70th row, I was confused as when Sash got the ping pong interception. Indiana fans were sure the fix was on with a TD called back on replay (IIRC).

Iowa-Pitt '15
OK, this game obviously didn't have the conference or even bowl implications at the time. That being said, as Hlas noted, there were a number of factors that fed it. First, the fans were hungry...I mean starving...for some excitement. I know allergies hit me hard when Brett was introduced and I was far from the minority. Too many memories of him, Sash welling up, along with the power of watching Angerer and Doyle helping and literally coaching him through it...OMG (those three letters are used lightly these days but in this case I mean it).
Throw in the 10 minute I-O-W-A chant, the dramatic finish and people simply standing there screaming after the game ended....this is a game I will always remember even though the implications aren't there (for now I hope). How cool would it be if we get to the end of the season and think about how crucial this win is (like the double blocked FG vs UNI)?

A few honorable mentions: (and I'm not good at years)

The beat down of Michigan with all the failed rugby punts. My brother laughed and screamed like crazy at that game.
The ass whooping of tOSU in....'03? After decades of hating Ohio State, that game was a catharsis. I had a blast.
Wisc in '08. Watching Shonn Greene run over them like a steamroller was a blast.
Michigan '09 - That was probably the most "electric" I've seen Kinnick (except maybe when we beat Wisc in '03...but this the whole freakin' game). You could have walked on the energy that night. Then the Moeaki TD's down the seam were a thing of beauty. Just a really fun game.

Reactions: ichawk24
Way too many recent games on the list. You would think that the Fry era almost never happened. There were also plenty of great moments in the '50s (not to mention the '39 season).

That's just sad.

Least some of iowas best games have been this century when Nebraska is all 70s, 80s and 90s. By the way I thought husker fans only posted in "all the husker threads" on this board. By the way great job against Miami and what a great captain you guys have in your OL Lewis, what a class act.

Why is it sad? The writer is talking about memorable atmospheres. He specifically discusses how this is a separate question from biggest or most important games. Methinks you're responding to the thread title without reading the article.

For one example, in 1956 Evy's Hawkeyes upset Ohio State 6-0, breaking the longest winning streak in Big Ten history--18 straight. (Iowa missed the PAT.) In the immediate celebration, the goal posts, sunk in 6 feet of concrete, were ripped down. Iowa Stadium and Iowa City were up for grabs. That, clearly, was one of the greatest home victories in Iowa football history. Evy had put a sign in the Iowa locker room before the game that said, "You have 60 minutes to beat Ohio State and a lifetime to remember it." I get chills thinking about how those Hawkeyes took that eloquent challenge to heart.

So just because we weren't there to experience it, let's not sell that one short, or any of those other great Hawkeye victories that happened before our time.

I was there Saturday night, and it was awesome, but Iowa football has been around for a long time. Let's respect that history. Iowa football was around before we were born, and it'll be around after we're gone. Let's keep some perspective.

Last edited:
I have been going to Hawkeye games since 1960. As others have said, the Pitt game doesn't have the national or the conference implications that many of the other memorable games do. Having said that, the atmosphere at last Saturdays game was incredible. The emotion from start to finish never let up. To have it end with a 57 yard field goal for the win (by a kid from Solon) is nothing short of amazing. This year may or may not end up as being special, but this game always will be.

Reactions: ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT