ADVERTISEMENT

Hoarders and my 600 lbs life

These shows are game changers for my self esteem. Intervention can hit close to home. But I can really drink a lot and watch these people and judge them and feel superior.

It really has to take a lot of work to get up to 600 lbs I imagine. I mean, what is the caloric intake to get that obese?

Reactions: pink shizzle
There was this one lady that sat in a chair all the time and ate a lot and she was really fat because the Doctor wouldnt do surgery on her. Sad.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I understand that people can gain weight. When I was in law school, I ate too much and exercised too little. Got up to 270. Now I'm back to my fighting weight of 198.

Ding ding.

DING-DING_zpsk6iih1xk.gif

At that weight, exercise is pretty much impossible. Imagine carrying about 450lbs of excess weight around. There is a severe negative feedback loop of helplessness driving excess eating, and the excess eating driving more helplessness. As in their case, food can become an addiction not unlike heroin. It’s hard to imagine why someone would become a junkie or meth addict considering the negative ramifications but it happens.

Some sort of medical and environmental intervention coupled with psychological and nutritional support is basically the only avenue for success until they are at least to a weight that gastric bypass or gastric sleeve is an option and they can start exercising.

As for hoarders—that is a mental illness and treated similar to severe OCD with supratherapeutic doses of SSRIs and exposure and response prevention therapy.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

At that weight, exercise is pretty much impossible. Imagine carrying about 450lbs of excess weight around. There is a severe negative feedback loop of helplessness driving excess eating, and the excess eating driving more helplessness. As in their case, food can become an addiction not unlike heroin. It’s hard to imagine why someone would become a junkie or meth addict considering the negative ramifications but it happens.

Some sort of medical and environmental intervention coupled with psychological and nutritional support is basically the only avenue for success until they are at least to a weight that gastric bypass or gastric sleeve is an option and they can start exercising.

As for hoarders—that is a mental illness and treated similar to severe OCD with supratherapeutic doses of SSRIs and exposure and response prevention therapy.

Spot on.

Reactions: Fluffles

People on heroin and meth at least look good for a couple of years and they have more fun

There’s “eating too much” and then there is 600ibs eating too much. Their daily calories consumed probably averages out to be in the 7,000 to 8,000 range.

I’ve always fought weight. I was a thick high-schooler. Added freshman 20, but later lost 40. Spent a couple years sub-180. My adult live has been a yo-yo with an up curve. I had some bad trends pre-COVID. I’m not 400, but I’ve flirted with the line where it gets harder to move for extended periods. That sucks. I ran a 5K a few years ago under 35 min at 315 pounds, but I got to the point where it was hard to be up, active and moving for 20 min, let alone running. I know now that for everyone there’s that line that’s really hard to come back from. I’m under it now and am OK, but I’ve flirted with it. Scary times. I think if I crossed 400-425, I’m not sure I‘d ever come back.

When my mom and stepdad moved to nursing facilities, I started cleaning their house. It was like an episode of hoarders. There was no filth, just clutter. It tramatized me some. Since then I've downsized considerably, and told friends and family I don't want material things. I still have a few things and tools, but if it doesn't get used regularly it gets gone.

My folks had 4 full size freezers, with food that was up to 30 years old. When they lost electricity my pop would run a generator just for the freezers.

It really has to take a lot of work to get up to 600 lbs I imagine. I mean, what is the caloric intake to get that obese?

have you ever watched the eating montages they do at the beginning of those shows.
i can eat a lot but hol-e shyte my stomach hurts just watching those feedings

This sounds like a good home version of the self-esteem-boosting activity of going to an indoor water park in Wisconsin Dells in February—if that doesn’t make you feel better about yourself, it is time for some serious lifestyle changes.

• Haha
Reactions: Fan In Black
These fats are too fat to work — what I want to know is how they afford 8000 calories of food per day.

Looking at the internet I see people claiming between 7,000 and 10,000 calories per day.

IDK I'm sort of feeling like I could do it if I wanted to (which I clearly don't). I generally always feel like I could eat more food if I wanted to (It's pretty much something I have to fight daily.) And while 7k to 10k calories is a lot, I sort of feel like it could be done if one works their way up to it and focuses on eating a lot of calorie dense food.

That said at the same time I would say to do that I would have to be specifically trying to. I don't think that's something that accidentally happens without a serious eating disorder.

When my mom and stepdad moved to nursing facilities, I started cleaning their house. It was like an episode of hoarders. There was no filth, just clutter. It tramatized me some. Since then I've downsized considerably, and told friends and family I don't want material things. I still have a few things and tools, but if it doesn't get used regularly it gets gone.

My folks had 4 full size freezers, with food that was up to 30 years old. When they lost electricity my pop would run a generator just for the freezers.
Dealing with a house like that can definitely leave a mark. Luckily “there was no filth“.

Hoarders is on Netflix now. Holy shit!!

Hoarders stresses me the eff out. It is also pretty sad. Essentially all of the hoarders have some bad trauma that sent them down a hoarder path and then some tv crews show up to display their mental health issues for the masses. Feels a bit exploitive to me.

The formula is basically:
Look at how bad this hoard is

Mention that Jim Bob's wife completed seppuku in front of him

List off a list of Jim Bobs mental illness

After a tiny therapy session it is time to start throwing out Jim's stuff

Jim who has mental illness pushes back and does mental illness shit
Bring in the family to lean on Jim

Either throw away stuff or face Jim's mentally ill logic and the hoard stays

Either show a better looking house or list off Jim's illnesses again and why it made it tricky to clean

End episode

• Love
Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT