ADVERTISEMENT

Hodge Voting

Yes, Hodge is for entire season, and domination. Pins, TF, Majors, - bonus points. Although our ‘HAMMER’ Dominated NCAA’s- I have to vote for Zain for entire year (he’s had a few years) domination.

P.S. Can I vote now for 2019 Hodge?? Go HAMMER!!

Isn’t the Hodge an award for the entire season?
And isn't the OW at the nationals suppose to be the best wrestler and not a good wrestler on the winning team? One lucky match that he gave up a 4 point move and then rolled his opponent into a pin. Looked good but again was taken down to his back. Not a OW award in my opinion...

My vote is for "Aspie" Bo Nickal, who would be the second disabled wrestler to win the award after Nick Ackerman in 2001
Austism is serious and nothing to joke about regardless of the situation I understand your mad that Iowa lost but to joke about Autism is disgusting.Obviously you don't have a child or loved one with Austism because it's serious and should never be joked about.

I would vote for Zain because he rightfully deserves it this year.

Saying anyone else would be hard to justify based on all the criteria. He leads in every criteria listed.

But based on Spencer Lee's abilities and domination....i cant see anyone challenging him next year....he will be at the top of the hodge watch list for next year...and has the credentials to back him. He is a special kid. Only wished he would have kept his red shirt...may have been a four timer and undefeated!

nice thread. FWIW, I voted for Zain, wasn't even close IMO. I also got to ignore a couple of idiots, so that was good too I guess.

my next vote is that rivals require real, confirmed names on message boards. End some of the BS.
I agree on Zain. Four great wrestlers on the list, but it’s hard not to default to Zain and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t win it this year.

If Lee wasn’t the unanimous decision for OW at nationals then I don’t think you can automatically pencil in Zain for the Hodge. Zain won it last year so it’s time to give it to someone else. Plus, we’re trying to grow wrestling so it would be better to award the trophy to an eligible candidate NOT wearing a white belt on their uniform. These reasons are at least as worthy as Nickal winning OW because of the team race and the dramatic fashion in which he catapulted himself off his own back (despite lesser results for the duration of the tournament). Also, it’s not supposed to be a lifetime achievement award and 149 has not been one of the tougher weight classes.

The only real knock on Zain is that perhaps there just isn't much talent at 149. Certainly a big reason he is so dominant is because he is so good, but there may also be just a general lack of talent to challenge him at this time.

Reactions: AFHawk86
If Lee wasn’t the unanimous decision for OW at nationals then I don’t think you can automatically pencil in Zain for the Hodge. Zain won it last year so it’s time to give it to someone else. Plus, we’re trying to grow wrestling so it would be better to award the trophy to an eligible candidate NOT wearing a white belt on their uniform. These reasons are at least as worthy as Nickal winning OW because of the team race and the dramatic fashion in which he catapulted himself off his own back (despite lesser results for the duration of the tournament). Also, it’s not supposed to be a lifetime achievement award and 149 has not been one of the tougher weight classes.

I agree that Spencer was the outstanding wrestler for the NCAA. If they had a category for best moment....Bo wins hands down. Basically, the team race was decided in that moment. In that one match. Which is incredible. Wish it would have been the last match of the tourney. If Martin would have won, Ohio wins the championship. What Spencer did was outstanding...pinning Tomesello and beating Suriano....Also incredible...definately OW. But I dont think anyone really cares if they win OW or not. NC is the goal.

Your argument against Zain.. saying that Zain won last year and it should be given to someone else is not right. It should be given to the person that deserves it the most. Zain leads all categories in the criteria. Picture this....In three years with Spencer already having won a Hodge and several championships....Would you make the same argument...That someone new deserves it because Spencer has already been there and done that. No...You would vote for who deserves it.......Be genuine......Give it to who deserves it the most......ZAIN this year. Who knows next year?

Reactions: ImTheIsh and Dagboi
The only real knock on Zain is that perhaps there just isn't much talent at 149. Certainly a big reason he is so dominant is because he is so good, but there may also be just a general lack of talent to challenge him at this time.

That's a fair point, however he is a former Hodge winner, so presumably WIN thinks he can handle a tough weight class. If he's more or less done the same thing this year, it's hard to criticize him for a slightly weaker weight.

I think that's different than giving it to a guy who goes undefeated in a very weak weight and who hasn't yet showed he can handle a much stronger weight. Zain can do so, and thus it's his to lose imo.

Not Zain's fault that wrestlers avoid him..bumping weights or cut to get away from him....I can't think of any sane wrestler that will stay 125 next year with Lee ready to dismantle them. I totally expect Suriano to move to 133..his only chance to win a National championship. Maybe even Cruz too. Who is left?... Does not mean you should take anything away from him Spencer or Zain in this case....IMHO

Not Zain's fault that wrestlers avoid him..bumping weights or cut to get away from him....I can't think of any sane wrestler that will stay 125 next year with Lee ready to dismantle them. I totally expect Suriano to move to 133..his only chance to win a National championship. Maybe even Cruz too. Who is left?... Does not mean you should take anything away from him Spencer or Zain in this case....IMHO
Absolutely agree not Zain's fault. The weight being weak is the only criticism and there's nothing he can do about it. I would vote for Zain.
In terms of challenging Spencer the only guy I can think of is Daton Fix. If he wrestles at 125. He may bump to 133 as well. He seems like the most realistic guy for next year.

I agree that Spencer was the outstanding wrestler for the NCAA. If they had a category for best moment....Bo wins hands down. Basically, the team race was decided in that moment. In that one match. Which is incredible. Wish it would have been the last match of the tourney. If Martin would have won, Ohio wins the championship. What Spencer did was outstanding...pinning Tomesello and beating Suriano....Also incredible...definately OW. But I dont think anyone really cares if they win OW or not. NC is the goal.

Your argument against Zain.. saying that Zain won last year and it should be given to someone else is not right. It should be given to the person that deserves it the most. Zain leads all categories in the criteria. Picture this....In three years with Spencer already having won a Hodge and several championships....Would you make the same argument...That someone new deserves it because Spencer has already been there and done that. No...You would vote for who deserves it.......Be genuine......Give it to who deserves it the most......ZAIN this year. Who knows next year?
I think you missed my point as it was slightly tongue on cheek using “more credible” arguments than were apparently used to determine the OW. I completely understand if Zain wins as he is deserving of the award; however so are the others and my pick would be Zahid.

Gross turned his life around and I appreciate that, but him being a finalist speaks to the weight of the citizenship prong of the criteria.

Reactions: pumpdog20
The thing that sticks out to me is the relative weakness overall of all four weights. With that said, I'll take Zain.

Austism is serious and nothing to joke about regardless of the situation I understand your mad that Iowa lost but to joke about Autism is disgusting.Obviously you don't have a child or loved one with Austism because it's serious and should never be joked about.
The funny (and ironic) thing is that he is using a communication medium that has largely been built by a legion of Ramen and Mountain Dew fueled coding geniuses on the Autism Spectrum.

Signed - a father of 2 non-verbal boys with Autism.

nice thread. FWIW, I voted for Zain, wasn't even close IMO. I also got to ignore a couple of idiots, so that was good too I guess.

my next vote is that rivals require real, confirmed names on message boards. End some of the BS.
I think this is one of the best ideas I've come up with. I learned real quick that by posting an "unpopular" opinion, people spew all kinds of fecal matter at you behind their anonymity.

Well, with that off my chest, I would have to vote for the "Train." Dominance is evident in his scores. Massive bonus points, all year...EXCEPT when he wrestled Sorensen, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT