ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan Unraveled

You can handle public criticism one of two ways. The most successful people I know use it as motivation to improve. Some even take it to a level far beyond that (Michael Jordan for example).

I think the manner in which KF criticized Hogan was in poor taste. But football is a brutal sport and if you cant handle a fairly innocent derogatory remark you have absolutely no chance of surviving. Especially at QB.

Well, with Hogan gone we’re looking at recruiting miss after miss after miss….

Petras + Padilla + Hogan = 3 straight misses.

Soooo, that’s not great……
Petras is what he is, a QB with very little mobility but who can make all the throws if given time in the pocket. He also, maybe due to lack of mobility, tends to see ghosts (pressure) at times that isn't really there.

Not sure how you can close the book on Padilla yet. While he's certainly not where we need him to be yet, I did see some promising things from him this year like the ability to throw a ball before the WR makes his break and hit the long ball. He needs experience and to improve his accuracy.

Petras is what he is, a QB with very little mobility but who can make all the throws if given time in the pocket. He also, maybe due to lack of mobility, tends to see ghosts (pressure) at times that isn't really there.

Not sure how you can close the book on Padilla yet. While he's certainly not where we need him to be yet, I did see some promising things from him this year like the ability to throw a ball before the WR makes his break and hit the long ball. He needs experience and to improve his accuracy.
I haven’t closed the book on Padilla but the coaching staff clearly has (recruiting miss).

If you’re still starting Spencer at this point, you i.e. KF/BF must not be high on a future with Alex (recruiting miss).

And yes, Spencer Petras is a MISS.

Boo Hoo. I had a coach tell me flat out, in front of the team, that he hated me but still played me because I had starter talent. He was making a point to the back up whiners about playing time and how it’s earned. I didn’t sulk or quit the team. I took it for what it was.
That’s a pretty crappy person as a coach to do that and should probably quit coaching if they feel that way about a player on their team helping them look like a good coach by winning ballgames.

Had the same thing happen to me as an athlete in high school with multiple coaches then my daughters in high school as well. I and they gave their all to win ballgames for the coaches and school only to be belittled and felt as if you’ve done something wrong for being the best at your position in that sport.

You have to have a mental illness to treat your players like that. I never did when I coached my kids or their teammates in all youth sports. Might of been harder on my kids than others but never attacked them like I’ve seen coaches at the high school level do terrible, mean things in front of their teammates. It’s uncalled for and basically a bully tactic. And once that happens, the player shuts down and never wants to play for that coach again. I didn’t and neither did my daughters in following seasons then the coach wants to know why you or they aren’t going to play. JFC. Get a clue coach. A lot of coaches need to read Dean Smith’s “The Tarheel Way”.

I haven’t closed the book on Padilla but the coaching staff clearly has (recruiting miss).

If you’re still starting Spencer at this point, you i.e. KF/BF must not be high on a future with Alex (recruiting miss).

And yes, Spencer Petras is a MISS.
That's an awful lot of assumptions on your part. Just because the coaching staff doesn't necessarily think Padilla is the best option right now doesn't mean they don't see potential. But then again I'm not sure I've ever seen you post anything positive about Iowa football, so carry on.

Well, check out what he said about Labas yesterday.

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.

Well said.

That's an awful lot of assumptions on your part. Just because the coaching staff doesn't necessarily think Padilla is the best option right now doesn't mean they don't see potential. But then again I'm not sure I've ever seen you post anything positive about Iowa football, so carry on.
Still “Seeing potential” for a guy that’s been in the program for 3 full years? That’s laugh-out-loud “we’re a developmental program” type of cop-out statement if I’ve ever heard one.

Guess I shouldn’t assume the staff doesn’t view Padilla as the future..I mean he hasn’t been in Iowa City 5 years yet. Plenty of time.

Like I said, trotting Petras out means they’re pretty low on Padilla.

Reactions: littlez
Boo Hoo. I had a coach tell me flat out, in front of the team, that he hated me but still played me because I had starter talent. He was making a point to the back up whiners about playing time and how it’s earned. I didn’t sulk or quit the team. I took it for what it was.
Great. Doesn't make it right and doing it in front of 30 kids as opposed to doing it in a national TV broadcast are two completely different things.

I love Kirk. Hope he stays as long as he wants. He's normally very good with the media and with being a classy guy. He screwed up here. He acknowledged he screwed up.

Reactions: MitchLL

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.
Here's a thought maybe Hogan wasn't good enough to play over the upperclassman even if they weren't that great this year. Because honestly how do you know Hogan was better than Padilla or Petras? Just because he had 4*? Guess what so did Petras. You asked why the hell did they sign him? Just like they do someone at any other position. To give depth and play him if he's good enough. But thing with QB position unlike others only one gets to play. I didn't agree with KF's statement. But if after 18 months of being in the program and Hogan took the comment so personal and couldn't see it as a joke and understand KF's true character and had that thin skin and left so be it. Does Iowa really need a QB that mentally soft playing the position in the Big 10 anyways if he goes running for the hills because of one comment like that.

Personally I think best case scenario for Iowa is one of the 2 qbs leave the program after the bowl and we get a transfer to compete for the job. Not sold on either of the 2 but to think Hogan who never played would've ultimately been better I have my doubts on that too.

Here's a thought maybe Hogan wasn't good enough to play over the upperclassman even if they weren't that great this year. Because honestly how do you know Hogan was better than Padilla or Petras? Just because he had 4*? Guess what so did Petras. You asked why the hell did they sign him? Just like they do someone at any other position. To give depth and play him if he's good enough. But thing with QB position unlike others only one gets to play. I didn't agree with KF's statement. But if after 18 months of being in the program and Hogan took the comment so personal and couldn't see it as a joke and understand KF's true character and had that thin skin and left so be it. Does Iowa really need a QB that mentally soft playing the position in the Big 10 anyways if he goes running for the hills because of one comment like that.

Personally I think best case scenario for Iowa is one of the 2 qbs leave the program after the bowl and we get a transfer to compete for the job. Not sold on either of the 2 but to think Hogan who never played would've ultimately been better I have my doubts on that too.
Maybe none of the 3 QB's in this discussion are the perfect QB....but you have to agree that no QB is going to be successful with the OL they had to work behind. We also need better talent at WR to force defenses to give them bigger cushions. But maybe they did not have to give them big cushions because they knew that the DL was going to put the Iowa QB's under pressure after 2 seconds.

The Hogan situation appears very different than first thought.

Hogan wanted field time and KF said no. Hogan got pissy and planned to transfer, sooner or later. KF makes a poor joke at Hogan's expense giving Hogan an excuse to leave in a pissy way. Hogan, through his mother, overreacts. This Streisand Affect backfires and displays Hogan as drama prone-not a good fit with the Ferentz method. We should remember Deuce decommitted with the Beavers to come to Iowa. The people looking at him are going to be aware of that history.

Now everyone talking about bowl practice has been talking about Joey Labas. Even KF talked about the wow moments, while always sticking to the script about knowing the offense, etc... KF never talks up a young QB. When everyone is talking about the same thing and then KF implies Joey's big play abilities, there's more than smoke supporting the "Joey is the answer" hypothesis.​

Hogan knew he was getting jumped by Labas and had not jumped either of the mediocrities before him. Deuce was just seeking more field time and brought drama into a situation that need not be at all dramatic.
frozen-elsa.gif

Welcome to the board, Mrs. Hogan!

doing-double-fisted-balling-motion-260nw-109343096.jpg

Reactions: NorHawk16
The Hogan situation appears very different than first thought.

Hogan wanted field time and KF said no. Hogan got pissy and planned to transfer, sooner or later. KF makes a poor joke at Hogan's expense giving Hogan an excuse to leave in a pissy way. Hogan, through his mother, overreacts. This Streisand Affect backfires and displays Hogan as drama prone-not a good fit with the Ferentz method. We should remember Deuce decommitted with the Beavers to come to Iowa. The people looking at him are going to be aware of that history.

Now everyone talking about bowl practice has been talking about Joey Labas. Even KF talked about the wow moments, while always sticking to the script about knowing the offense, etc... KF never talks up a young QB. When everyone is talking about the same thing and then KF implies Joey's big play abilities, there's more than smoke supporting the "Joey is the answer" hypothesis.​

Hogan knew he was getting jumped by Labas and had not jumped either of the mediocrities before him. Deuce was just seeking more field time and brought drama into a situation that need not be at all dramatic.
Wrong QB-- Petras decommitted from Oregon State, not Hogan. And speaking of backfiring, this one did on you because the only reason you wrongly pointed out the transfer from Oregon State was to try showing Hogan has no sense of commitment.

Whether the mother should have said what she did or not, it doesn't change the fact Kirk was wrong about the comment he made about the kid before Nebraska and said that and publicly apologized for it.

Your take is 100% anti player and pro coach on this one.

No offense, but you're creating lots of drama (Streisand affect) about a 3rd string QB who played like 10 plays for Iowa in his career. Stop trashing kids who leave the program and who are young enough to be your son or grandson. Let it go.

Last edited:
Can anyone imagine Woody or No apologizing to afrosh QB like KF did publicly?
Hogans mama should have just moved on.
So you do know Woody Hayes was fired 40 years ago for punching an opposing player? Times have changed brother.

I love stories about star high school athletes who have never had to battle for playing time and in college just cant handle any adversity! And then you throw an over protective mom in the mix and watch the drama unfold!!

yes, the longer you play you start playing with and against much better pool of players.

Coaches should play lots of kids in junior high up to soph football and see who develops and are gamers. Tons of high school football players but now you need to try and win but the top 35-40 players get the time. Jump to college and now many fewer players good enough to play P5 so all are bigger, faster, and stronger.

That final leap to the pros in any sport will be a really tough one for most athletes.

If you are a soph on a team like Iowa with 4 or 5 qbs on the roster that will be a tough competition. When Trevor Lawrence started as a frosh and replaced the older starter Clemson had several qbs transfer.

Players want to play and I don't fault Hogan for wanting to leave. Whatever drama ensues after the fact is the norm in today's society with social media being a stage for any grievance (real or perceived). There were not any off the field issues with Hogan and he didn't quit mid-season, so I don't think coaches are going to be apprehensive.

One would think KF would be smarter about his comments after all that has transpired in the program the past few years. KF could benefit from some public relations training. His joke about Hogan was not representative of how a coach should talk about a player he recruited. The comments he made about Labas were also cringe-worthy. Talking about how "complex" the offense is and the necessity to tamp down a QB's ability to go off script when you are 135th or whatever they are offensively doesn't exactly resonate with the fans.
I'm pretty sure by now we ALL know that KF's not all that concerned with what the fans think, and given some of the off the wall stuff you read here and elsewhere, thats probably a good thing......

Not sure why this is all being brought up again. What KF said was stupid. Very stupid. On the other hand I think it's pretty clear Hogan was leaving anyway, and this just made it easier. We currently have 2 average to below average Qb's that he couldn't beat out. Now if he actually goes somewhere and sets the world on fire we can talk. We have multiple things wrong w/our offense. Bad O line play, slow and ineffective receivers and a big starting Qb that craps his pants when hes rushed. And don't forget our coaching staff that takes a knee whenever possible. Lots of blame to go around here.

All I know is going into next year with Petras as the starter means you're counting on the OLine making huge, huge strides before next fall.

I don't see any way SP makes big strides given he's already been here for three years.

Reactions: dadster
I have to relate a story when I volunteered to coach my daughter and son both on a YMCA Bball team. One rule they had was for the first 3 qtrs the defense couldnt press in the backcourt. They had rules on how much players were supposed to play.

So in the first 3 qtrs I would let all the kids take turns in a qtr by qtr time bringing up the ball, no pressure on them, I coached them to try and get the ball over half court but if they didnt want that or couldnt we had the team ready to screen and get open to get a pass from them.

And you know what, I had several parents wondering why the hell the best guard player/dribller wasnt always bringing up the ball, why play these less athletic kidswho would sometimes turn it over. Yet usually the ball got into the better players hands. The father of the best player on the team was fine with it because his kid ran the show most times and especially in the last qtr bringing up the ball.

I just told these parents that some of these kids may never bring up a basketball so I am going to let them do it now and maybe they will continue to play. Crazy ass parents who want to and have to win effing 7 year old games. At those ages, let them play and hope they have fun, do well, learn and keep playing

Not sure why this is all being brought up again. What KF said was stupid. Very stupid. On the other hand I think it's pretty clear Hogan was leaving anyway, and this just made it easier. We currently have 2 average to below average Qb's that he couldn't beat out. Now if he actually goes somewhere and sets the world on fire we can talk. We have multiple things wrong w/our offense. Bad O line play, slow and ineffective receivers and a big starting Qb that craps his pants when hes rushed. And don't forget our coaching staff that takes a knee whenever possible. Lots of blame to go around here.
Well stated littlez.

There was zero reason for this to be brought up again- especially considering it is about a 3rd strong QB who hardly ever got to see the field.

This speaks more about the OP than Hogan in this even being a conversation piece.

Maybe none of the 3 QB's in this discussion are the perfect QB....but you have to agree that no QB is going to be successful with the OL they had to work behind. We also need better talent at WR to force defenses to give them bigger cushions. But maybe they did not have to give them big cushions because they knew that the DL was going to put the Iowa QB's under pressure after 2 seconds.
No arguments from me here. Combine bad OL with a poor OC recipe for disaster for the QB.

So you do know Woody Hayes was fired 40 years ago for punching an opposing player? Times have changed brother.
My point was that KF is right behind those guys in victories but is evolved enough to publicly apologize which guys like Woody and Bo would never dream of doing.
Woodsy right hook to that Clemson players chop got him fired but he and Bo knew something about winning football games...and were no dummies.
Let's just move on I say.

Who knows if Hogan was planning to leave. KF said something stupid that he shouldn't have, regardless.
I have no problems with what Kirk said. If Duece was that sensitive he wouldn’t be mentally strong enough to handle the pressures of a starting quarterback.
I’m old school and I myself was “tested” on performance in front of others and yes was pissed but was told by my mom (no father in my life) to do something about it on the field. I then learned to put out my best effort and let the chips fall. I still made mistakes and got knocked down again but learned how to pick myself up and bounce back quicker. I witnessed others who struggled the same way only to not bounce back. I floored me that they gave up and truthfully I was saddened. It’s my opinion a strong mind, will and emotions starts with parenting and continue long after sports in school.
I sincerely hope Duece succeeds after this lesson.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I have no problems with what Kirk said. If Duece was that sensitive he wouldn’t be mentally strong enough to handle the pressures of a starting quarterback.
This is ridiculous.

Even though I’d bet he got wind of Hogan’s interest in leaving prior, Kirk’s little joke was stupid. He had a slip of the tongue and he knows it.

Players want to play and I don't fault Hogan for wanting to leave. Whatever drama ensues after the fact is the norm in today's society with social media being a stage for any grievance (real or perceived). There were not any off the field issues with Hogan and he didn't quit mid-season, so I don't think coaches are going to be apprehensive.

One would think KF would be smarter about his comments after all that has transpired in the program the past few years. KF could benefit from some public relations training. His joke about Hogan was not representative of how a coach should talk about a player he recruited. The comments he made about Labas were also cringe-worthy. Talking about how "complex" the offense is and the necessity to tamp down a QB's ability to go off script when you are 135th or whatever they are offensively doesn't exactly resonate with the fans.
Ok softy..Jesus grow a pair.

You obviously don't know KF nor Iowa football...he's said all kinds of bad dad jokes over the yrs...for you or anyone else taking it as anything but such, proves society's wussification...well done softy.
Hey old man, where’d you play college football?

Never got that answer..

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT