ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan Unraveled

You could not possibly have articulated the culturally disastrous decline of American masculinity.

Also, a perfect explanation for the Boomers hanging around so long. Hell, even pre-Boomers like Brandon and Mitch are still swimming around-as megalodons.

It's not the handshake, per se. It's not unsigned shoes, per se. It's what those things say about the man. Weak handshake, weak man. Unshined shoes, lazy or imprecise man.

It makes a difference over time. France was once a great nation, empire. In WW 1 the little froggies fought like tigers to literally protect their homes from another great nation and empire, Germany. Not much moral distinction between the two contestants.

France first became weak between the wars, as morality declined, and the French no longer felt they were a people or nation worth fighting for. Then Herr Hitler together with some clever generals and the French collapsed in six weeks. Another 70 years go by and the French have become such utter pussies an entire trainload of Frenchmen were paralyzed by a single jihadi. Fortunately, not every boy in the generations behind mine has been feminized and trained to just wait for the right person (parents, teachers, coaches, police, army, etc...) to show up and fix their situation and make them feel good about their weakness. That is why three American boys took down the jihadi that had terrorized hundreds of French men.

There's a lesson in there for people with sufficient foresight to see it.​
Why so many spaces? You remind me of myself trying to write a 6th grade book report on ‘The Old Man and the Sea’ that was supposed to be minimum 4 pages. Really had to stretch that bad boy out.

Last edited:
Love you old tough guys in this thread. Bet you’re a blast at parties. Two things can be true here. Kirk made a comment he shouldn’t have made. He’s not funny. He apologized but probably doesn’t even know why he had to. Deuce was looking for an excuse to leave and was leaving anyway. Would have gone much better for both parties involved if all had not opened their mouths. This also has nothing to do with the pussification of America. Yet some of you are just looking for any kind of excuse to say it. The kid wasn’t happy and wasn’t going to play. Doesn’t make him a pussy. Now there’s a big snowstorm coming so some of you grouchy old fu$$s better start walking uphill 10 miles.

Very good summary. Well said. I did walk uphill 2 miles one way.

You could not possibly have articulated the culturally disastrous decline of American masculinity.

Also, a perfect explanation for the Boomers hanging around so long. Hell, even pre-Boomers like Brandon and Mitch are still swimming around-as megalodons.

It's not the handshake, per se. It's not unsigned shoes, per se. It's what those things say about the man. Weak handshake, weak man. Unshined shoes, lazy or imprecise man.

It makes a difference over time. France was once a great nation, empire. In WW 1 the little froggies fought like tigers to literally protect their homes from another great nation and empire, Germany. Not much moral distinction between the two contestants.

France first became weak between the wars, as morality declined, and the French no longer felt they were a people or nation worth fighting for. Then Herr Hitler together with some clever generals and the French collapsed in six weeks. Another 70 years go by and the French have become such utter pussies an entire trainload of Frenchmen were paralyzed by a single jihadi. Fortunately, not every boy in the generations behind mine has been feminized and trained to just wait for the right person (parents, teachers, coaches, police, army, etc...) to show up and fix their situation and make them feel good about their weakness. That is why three American boys took down the jihadi that had terrorized hundreds of French men.

There's a lesson in there for people with sufficient foresight to see it.​
That's because the boys on the train were military. Modern college boys would have shit themselves.

I don't know if you saw combat or where you landed in the command structure, but you couldn't have survived the guerilla wars in Iraq or Afghanistan without understanding the existence of, need for and ability to distinguish the alphas. Alphas on your side, alphas in your command, locals, etc.. You are talking with some tribesmen from Shit****istan, you need to know who's making decisions for the tribesmen, right? It might not be the guy to whom you're talking. Now they probably don't have the shoe shine issue, but other "tells" that some time in country would teach. Hand shakes? Eye contact? Who's talking and who is listening and watching?

In America it starts with eye contact, a firm handshake, quick glance down to the shoes, then you make eye contact again. Then the competition starts for control of the agenda. The first part is a quick assessment to determine if there really is a competition.

Jealous of your Army service. I wanted to go ROTC-thought West Point would be a little to jarring to by nocturnal lifestyle. My Dad had two Congressmen lined up, an R & a D. So my plan was to ease into the "do more by 6:00 AM " lifestyle through Iowa ROTC. Then the ROTC commander laughed when he got the results of my eye exam.

Keep your boots shined, son. People are watching and judging whether you realize it or not.​

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
What does that have to do with my balls? Which are big and glorious by the way!

I give him a mulligan as well. Doesn't invalidate a word I said. Your response is moronic.

Big Balls should definitely be among the many ACDC theme songs that should blare from Kinnick speakers at a near concussive level. Certainly "we've got the biggest balls of them all" when a trick play works.

Why so many spaces? You remind me of myself trying to right a 6th grade book report on ‘The Old Man and the Sea’ that was supposed to be minimum 4 pages. Really had to stretch that bad boy out.
You probably should improve your spelling when you get into the shit flipping over writing styles. You know that Hemingway report you were going to "write" in 6th grade?

Well, with Hogan gone we’re looking at recruiting miss after miss after miss….

Petras + Padilla + Hogan = 3 straight misses.

Soooo, that’s not great……
It's pretty impressive when so many QB misses still manage to produce 16 wins to 4 losses in the regular season over the past 2 years.

And sure ... I won't disagree that the D and the special teams played a significant role in those victories too. However, you still don't get that many Ws without the offense managing to score.

As we saw even in 2009 ... hopefully we all loved/appreciated Ricky Stanzi ... but even the artist behind the "Rick Six" needed to be bailed out plenty by that salty Iowa D. Same deal for Tate in 2004 ...

The point being ... diminishing our Padilla/Petras does little to help the team. So why continue throwing the feces? Will it really stick?

We're not talking about fantasy football. These guys aren't plug-and-play entities. They're young people ... prone to self-doubt ... and capable of making great improvement.

Like many others ... I'm plenty excited about Labas. However, I'm also hopeful that Padilla/Petras can improve and help continue to guide the Hawks to more winning and special seasons!

You probably should improve your spelling when you get into the shit flipping over writing styles. You know that Hemingway report you were going to "write" in 6th grade?
I'm sure this will be your only reply to someone who quoted that post. You'll walk away feeling validated while the rest of us continue to mock you for your geezer take.

This is hilarious. And pathetic.
You know, name calling is not an argument, not even part of an argument. But hey, it sounded good on South Park or the Simpsons or some other cartoon, right?

Name calling, however bad the sytax and grammar, is, however, the first resort of an uninformed mind, and, in this case bespeaking a very juvenile intelligence.

You guys are Exhibit A in the decline of American intellectualism that preceded the decline of civic self-esteem. You wonder why the "old guys" laugh at you? Call your moms, boys. I'm being mean(ish).

Last edited:
The Hogan situation appears very different than first thought.

Hogan wanted field time and KF said no. Hogan got pissy and planned to transfer, sooner or later. KF makes a poor joke at Hogan's expense giving Hogan an excuse to leave in a pissy way. Hogan, through his mother, overreacts. This Streisand Affect backfires and displays Hogan as drama prone-not a good fit with the Ferentz method. We should remember Deuce decommitted with the Beavers to come to Iowa. The people looking at him are going to be aware of that history.

Now everyone talking about bowl practice has been talking about Joey Labas. Even KF talked about the wow moments, while always sticking to the script about knowing the offense, etc... KF never talks up a young QB. When everyone is talking about the same thing and then KF implies Joey's big play abilities, there's more than smoke supporting the "Joey is the answer" hypothesis.​

Hogan knew he was getting jumped by Labas and had not jumped either of the mediocrities before him. Deuce was just seeking more field time and brought drama into a situation that need not be at all dramatic.
What we do know:
1. Hogan was 3rd string, not really shocking, but did not seem to be pushing hard into 2 deeps
2. KF made a complete ass of himself and completely disrespected a student athlete
3. 3rd string QB decides its time to move on
4. That is pretty much it, I would not try and shoe horn this one much more

You know, name calling is not an argument, not even part of an argument. But hey, it sounded good on South Park or the Simpsons or some other cartoon.

Name calling, however bad the sytax and grammar, is, however, the first resort of an uninformed mind, and, in this case bespeaking a very juvenile intelligence.

You guys are Exhibit A in the decline of American intellectualism that preceded the decline of civic self-esteem. You wonder why the "old guys" laugh at you. Call your mom, I'm being mean(ish).
Did I call you a name in that post? Don't worry, Gramps, we're all laughing harder at you than you're laughing at us.

Reactions: littlez
You know, name calling is not an argument, not even part of an argument. But hey, it sounded good on South Park or the Simpsons or some other cartoon.

You guys are Exhibit A in the decline of American intellectualism that preceded the decline of civic self-esteem. You wonder why the "old guys" laugh at you. Call your mom, I'm being mean(ish).
I agree that using name-calling as an argument is sadly rampant ... and those who employ such a weak strategy deserve to be called out on it.

From being a reader of many of your posts ... I know that we likely vehemently disagree on many a political topic. However, I truly respect your general respect for civility AND the fact that you don't disregard/despise intellectualism.

Many folks who resort to name-calling do so because they think so little of themselves (and others) to even bother to form a cogent thought. And even worse ... they're even less willing to question some of their own dogmatically held beliefs (rather than attempting to become more knowledgeable about topics).

I agree that using name-calling as an argument is sadly rampant ... and those who employ such a weak strategy deserve to be called out on it.

From being a reader of many of your posts ... I know that we likely vehemently disagree on many a political topic. However, I truly respect your general respect for civility AND the fact that you don't disregard/despise intellectualism.

Many folks who resort to name-calling do so because they think so little of themselves (and others) to even bother to form a cogent thought. And even worse ... they're even less willing to question some of their own dogmatically held beliefs (rather than attempting to become more knowledgeable about topics).
Eh, blaming others as name-callers when they didn't engage in such is a sign of self-confidence even weaker than what you're accusing.

Well, check out what he said about Labas yesterday.

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.
Just wow.

Thank you. The decline in intellectualism is the greatest problem facing Western culture. People are no longer even being taught the logical thought process, empiricism and reasonable inferences drawable from the empirical facts.

We'll cross wits again.

I'm sure this will be your only reply to someone who quoted that post. You'll walk away feeling validated while the rest of us continue to mock you for your geezer take.
You're not getting smarter son. Another personal attack but still nothing about why you said my post was:
This is hilarious. And pathetic.

So you still concede the point you ridiculed because all you can do is throw snark and ad hominem, not actually argue or even raise an issue as how I might have been wrong. To double down on dumb and do so in such an inartful way shows you don't grasp irony.

Agree with this. I will add that is why politics cannot be discussed with cogent thought. Easier to attack the other person, candidate or idea with senseless drivel than an intellectual idea.
I also enjoy being called out for hiding behind a keyboard. There have been more posters such as the firefighter paramedic with the valor award who open themselves up and become much more of a person being enjoyable to converse with as it adds depth to their opinion. Many on the wrestling board have met at Bigs or Nationals so when posting a person is known.

You're not getting smarter son. Another personal attack but still nothing about why you said my post was:

So you still concede the point you ridiculed because all you can do is throw snark and ad hominem, not actually argue or even raise an issue as how I might have been wrong. To double down on dumb and do so in such an inartful way shows you don't grasp irony.
As I sit here, sulking in my inability to grasp irony, I ask for you take a moment to contemplate your inability to see hypocrisy slapping you in the face. Or, whine more about personal attacks as you continue to sling them yourself. I don't care either way.

Regarding the substance of your post. First of all, I mostly just shit-post on mobile while drinking. Therefore, I'm not going to plunk out five paragraphs on my phone to spoon-feed you the logic on "weak handshake, weak man" being an antiquated judgement.

I'm also not going to drone on about how coming to an anonymous message board to seek validation for your intelligence is a glaring display of insecurity.

Anyway, enjoy your retirement. I've got work to do.

So, to summarize ... :)

giphy.gif

How does it go? Hard times make strong men, strong men lead to better times. Better times lead to soft men, soft men lead to hard times? The people I know in their 20’s and early thirties…. for the soft bill with a few exceptions ( parenting matters)
It doesn't matter how many stars
Not sure a QB with a 13-4 record is a miss.
It doesn't matter how many stars our QB has. If we don't significantly improve our offensive line play as well as become more creative in play calling, ratings are irrelevant. A five star QB picks himself off of the ground just like a two star.

Ferentz shouldn't have made the comments about Deuce period. It was a low character comment that he apologized for. End of story.

As I sit here, sulking in my inability to grasp irony, I ask for you take a moment to contemplate your inability to see hypocrisy slapping you in the face. Or, whine more about personal attacks as you continue to sling them yourself. I don't care either way.

Regarding the substance of your post. First of all, I mostly just shit-post on mobile while drinking. Therefore, I'm not going to plunk out five paragraphs on my phone to spoon-feed you the logic on "weak handshake, weak man" being an antiquated judgement.

I'm also not going to drone on about how coming to an anonymous message board to seek validation for your intelligence is a glaring display of insecurity.

Anyway, enjoy your retirement. I've got work to do.
While I appreciate your recognition that you bit off more than you could chew when you commenced our discourse by describing my writing, and hence me, as "hilarious"-and in a manner not intended as flattering and "pathetic". That's just the bullying intolerance that the children and grandchildren of my generation substitute for rational discourse. Being the object of ridicule is not something I, and most other sane people enjoy so you got to share the sensation, on a much nastier scale. I'm just they guy that won't let it drop until I've inflicted some pain on my attacker. Here's another thought you might find antiquated, don't start fights because you never know how or when they will end.

You have had plenty to say so the "I'm not going to plunk out five paragraphs on my phone to spoon-feed you the logic on "weak handshake, weak man" being an antiquated judgement" sounds like an excuse for the inability to argue your point about antiquities of thought-****, you cannot even spell the word judgment. You plunked out four paragraphs to whine so it's not the burden of "educating" me that deters you it's the fear that you I will continue to cartoon on you.

Most of the regular posters know who I am in real life. I'm not here to be validated by outwitting and ridiculing a "drunk" "shit post[er]. I mostly consider only one thing as validating-when someone writes me a check. I've considered my intelligence as validated since I learned I'd completed our school districts 12th grade reading program, when I was six. I enjoy punishing the name callers with a heavy dose of their own tactics. Guessing you have not enjoyed the ease with which your desire to insult me or degrade the value of my argument by simply saying its "pathetic" turned into your admission that you are mostly a "drunk" "shit post[er]" to try and escape the ridicule.

I'm only 62. I will be working for years to come-just get to choose how I spend the roughly 18 hours I'm still awake on most days. People my age will still be running the show for another 20 years.

You've had enough. Next time you want to start insulting and bullying other people you might want to remember that sometimes the bullied bite back.​

Last edited:
It isn't the first time KF has been wrong about a QB. He thinks a players best trait is longevity. Hogan very well could be the best QB but KF will never let that out or admit it.

While I appreciate your recognition that you bit off more than you could chew when you commenced our discourse with by describing my writing, and hence me, as "hilarious"-and in a manner not intended as flattering and "pathetic". That's just the bullying intolerance that the children and grandchildren of my generation substitute for rational discourse. Being the object of ridicule is not something I, and most other sane people enjoy so you got to share the sensation, on a much nastier scale. I'm just they guy that won't let it drop until I've inflicted some pain on my attacker. Here's another thought you might find antiquated, don't start fights because you never know how or when they will end.

You have had plenty to say so the "I'm not going to plunk out five paragraphs on my phone to spoon-feed you the logic on "weak handshake, weak man" being an antiquated judgement" sounds like an excuse for the inability to argue your point about antiquities of thought-****, you cannot even spell the word judgment. You plunked out four paragraphs to whine so it's not the burden of "educating" me that deters you it's the fear that you I will continue to cartoon on you.

Most of the regular posters know who I am in real life. I'm not here to be validated by outwitting and ridiculing a "drunk" "shit post[er]. I mostly consider only one thing as validating-when someone writes me a check. I've considered my intelligence as validated since I learned I'd completed our school districts 12th grade reading program, when I was six. I enjoy punishing the name callers with a heavy dose of their own tactics. Guessing you have not enjoyed the ease with which your desire to insult me or degrade the value of my argument by simply saying its "pathetic" turned into your admission that you are mostly a "drunk" "shit post[er]" to try and escape the ridicule.

I'm only 62. I will be working for years to come-just get to choose how I spend the roughly 18 hours I'm still awake on most days. People my age will still be running the show for another 20 years.

You've had enough. Next time you want to start insulting and bullying other people you might want to remember that sometimes the bullied bite back.​
5 more paragraphs for that? Just let it go brother.

Reactions: chuck285
While I appreciate your recognition that you bit off more than you could chew when you commenced our discourse with by describing my writing, and hence me, as "hilarious"-and in a manner not intended as flattering and "pathetic". That's just the bullying intolerance that the children and grandchildren of my generation substitute for rational discourse. Being the object of ridicule is not something I, and most other sane people enjoy so you got to share the sensation, on a much nastier scale. I'm just they guy that won't let it drop until I've inflicted some pain on my attacker. Here's another thought you might find antiquated, don't start fights because you never know how or when they will end.

I didn't read more than the first half of the first sentence. Your fake confidence tells me there's nothing but drivel to follow. Bye

I don't know if you saw combat or where you landed in the command structure, but you couldn't have survived the guerilla wars in Iraq or Afghanistan without understanding the existence of, need for and ability to distinguish the alphas. Alphas on your side, alphas in your command, locals, etc.. You are talking with some tribesmen from Shit****istan, you need to know who's making decisions for the tribesmen, right? It might not be the guy to whom you're talking. Now they probably don't have the shoe shine issue, but other "tells" that some time in country would teach. Hand shakes? Eye contact? Who's talking and who is listening and watching?

In America it starts with eye contact, a firm handshake, quick glance down to the shoes, then you make eye contact again. Then the competition starts for control of the agenda. The first part is a quick assessment to determine if there really is a competition.

Jealous of your Army service. I wanted to go ROTC-thought West Point would be a little to jarring to by nocturnal lifestyle. My Dad had two Congressmen lined up, an R & a D. So my plan was to ease into the "do more by 6:00 AM " lifestyle through Iowa ROTC. Then the ROTC commander laughed when he got the results of my eye exam.

Keep your boots shined, son. People are watching and judging whether you realize it or not.​
Can anyone tell me what was said by hogan mom and ferentz

Hey Deplorable, I watched a rude 35 year old with crusty heals, white Oakley's, and a typical Florida Gator Polo cut in front of a young gal in her early twenty's at a resteraunt today to get his name in for a table. Argued for a fair amount with the hostess who told him he was rude and had no manners and needed to apologize to the young lady he cut off at the door. Hostess verbally undressed him and took the young gals request for a table first before his. Young guy was still rather surely about the whole deal and told her he wouldn't apologize to anyone as he hadn't done anything wrong. Older people need to get with the times and get a life. He walks out the door and a man in his 60's walked up to him and said he really should apologize to his granddaughter. Young man told him where to go and the older gentleman bloodied his nose with one swift blow. Pretty little Gator shirt with blood all over it. I'll be damned, the older gentleman turned back around and said, "Shine those shoes young man."
Stallman calling you Gramps... Here we go again.

Why does anyone here care to talk about Deuce Hogan or debate why he's transferring? He never played a down at Iowa. He seems like a great dude. So does his family. That's the abstract. Some of you guys can turn watching road tar into a debate about how good or bad Iowa is. Maybe everyone survives and moves along? Wild stuff!

Hey Deplorable, I watched a rude 35 year old with crusty heals, white Oakley's, and a typical Florida Gator Polo cut in front of a young gal in her early twenty's at a resteraunt today to get his name in for a table. Argued for a fair amount with the hostess who told him he was rude and had no manners and needed to apologize to the young lady he cut off at the door. Hostess verbally undressed him and took the young gals request for a table first before his. Young guy was still rather surely about the whole deal and told her he wouldn't apologize to anyone as he hadn't done anything wrong. Older people need to get with the times and get a life. He walks out the door and a man in his 60's walked up to him and said he really should apologize to his granddaughter. Young man told him where to go and the older gentleman bloodied his nose with one swift blow. Pretty little Gator shirt with blood all over it. I'll be damned, the older gentleman turned back around and said, "Shine those shoes young man."
Stallman calling you Gramps... Here we go again.
I think Stallman has been sufficiently bloodied, although there's a little more pain to administer before he realizes I won't give bullies the last word-it's the oxygen that fuels their sense of absolute moral authority.

You just know the pussy ran to the police after his old school educational experience.

Lol, Gramps is getting feisty! I'm sorry you wasted your time typing out whatever fairytale you've got dancing around upstairs. It was obviously driven by senility, and I'm getting bored continuing to swat you away like a fly.
I didn't type anything. Your bullying is not going to get the last word, although you just keep sounding more juvenile and increasingly dumb every time you hurtle some snotty, snarky or stupid insult. Just let it drop kid. You can feel...validated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT