ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan Unraveled

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
The Hogan situation appears very different than first thought.

Hogan wanted field time and KF said no. Hogan got pissy and planned to transfer, sooner or later. KF makes a poor joke at Hogan's expense giving Hogan an excuse to leave in a pissy way. Hogan, through his mother, overreacts. This Streisand Affect backfires and displays Hogan as drama prone-not a good fit with the Ferentz method. We should remember Deuce decommitted with the Beavers to come to Iowa. The people looking at him are going to be aware of that history.

Now everyone talking about bowl practice has been talking about Joey Labas. Even KF talked about the wow moments, while always sticking to the script about knowing the offense, etc... KF never talks up a young QB. When everyone is talking about the same thing and then KF implies Joey's big play abilities, there's more than smoke supporting the "Joey is the answer" hypothesis.​

Hogan knew he was getting jumped by Labas and had not jumped either of the mediocrities before him. Deuce was just seeking more field time and brought drama into a situation that need not be at all dramatic.

im-in-jump-in.gif

Inski.

Hogan wanted field time and KF said no. Hogan got pissy and planned to transfer, sooner or later. KF makes a poor joke at Hogan's expense giving Hogan an excuse to leave in a pissy way. Hogan, through his mother, overreacts. This Streisand Affect backfires and displays Hogan as drama prone-not a good fit with the Ferentz method. We should remember Deuce decommitted with the Beavers to come to Iowa. The people looking at him are going to be aware of that history.

Now everyone talking about bowl practice has been talking about Joey Labas. Even KF talked about the wow moments, while always sticking to the script about knowing the offense, etc... KF never talks up a young QB. When everyone is talking about the same thing and then KF implies Joey's big play abilities, there's more than smoke supporting the "Joey is the answer" hypothesis.​

Hogan knew he was getting jumped by Labas and had not jumped either of the mediocrities before him. Deuce was just seeking more field time and brought drama into a situation that need not be at all dramatic.
Petras decommitted from the beavs

I can't wait for the movie.

Players want to play and I don't fault Hogan for wanting to leave. Whatever drama ensues after the fact is the norm in today's society with social media being a stage for any grievance (real or perceived). There were not any off the field issues with Hogan and he didn't quit mid-season, so I don't think coaches are going to be apprehensive.

One would think KF would be smarter about his comments after all that has transpired in the program the past few years. KF could benefit from some public relations training. His joke about Hogan was not representative of how a coach should talk about a player he recruited. The comments he made about Labas were also cringe-worthy. Talking about how "complex" the offense is and the necessity to tamp down a QB's ability to go off script when you are 135th or whatever they are offensively doesn't exactly resonate with the fans.

Has the world become so soft?
Participation trophies, club sports and social media. Every athlete is the greatest and no negative comments allowed or someone will try to cancel you through social media. Athletes, coaches and parents have fun navigating it. You should read some messages athletes get from fellow athletes in high school and then from fans when recruiting doesn’t go their way. It’s disgusting and appalling.

There is a lot of talking heads that came up with theses therories. I am not one to believe that this is all on Hogan. KF has shown he is human and that he makes mistakes. For every action, there is a reaction. It just might not be the reaction you were expecting

As mentioned previously (since October), Hogan was already leaving. Can't blame him for wanting a situation where he can get playing time. That's why most guys transfer.

But then, the way he passive-aggressively used KFz's awkward comment as his excuse was pretty weak. That along with Mama's twitter comments... don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

So you’re sitting there living your life and then think “I’m going to rehash the [very minor] Duece Hogan ‘situation’ and share with the board.”

How does that happen? Why does that happen?

Players want to play and I don't fault Hogan for wanting to leave. Whatever drama ensues after the fact is the norm in today's society with social media being a stage for any grievance (real or perceived). There were not any off the field issues with Hogan and he didn't quit mid-season, so I don't think coaches are going to be apprehensive.

One would think KF would be smarter about his comments after all that has transpired in the program the past few years. KF could benefit from some public relations training. His joke about Hogan was not representative of how a coach should talk about a player he recruited. The comments he made about Labas were also cringe-worthy. Talking about how "complex" the offense is and the necessity to tamp down a QB's ability to go off script when you are 135th or whatever they are offensively doesn't exactly resonate with the fans.
Sure wish our offense wasn't so "complex." The only ones who seem to be able to master it are our opponents!

Kirk made a mistake he won’t make again
Well, check out what he said about Labas yesterday.

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.

I love stories about star high school athletes who have never had to battle for playing time and in college just cant handle any adversity! And then you throw an over protective mom in the mix and watch the drama unfold!!

You just now thinking this! Just joking, and yes it is pathetic. Long story short. Had a family member post pics on facebook, of their son's baseball team "winning" second place! You serious Clark?
I have thought this for a while. I chuckled at R. Lee Ermey in FMJ. He sounded like my parents, teachers and coaches. Today's pollywogs would cry and need counseling.

Well, check out what he said about Labas yesterday.

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.
You're right, I sure wish Kirk would stop offering kids who show potential in high school but just don't grow to reach that potential. He should only offer guys who will be sure fire hits, I'll email him and let him know.

Kirk needs some psychology classes. Looking at the basketball team, Fran never talks bad about a player publicly and basically defends them to a fault. Being made fun of publicly can do some major harm to a young adult’s confidence. The one problem with Fran in that realm is that it seems that he also believes the hype he creates over his players and forgets to work towards addressing deficiencies.

Rather than tearing him down publicly, maybe Kirk or one of his staff members can spend some time coaching the kid up to fix deficiencies. You should be defending and building them up publicly while privately working to improve them. Praise in public, “scorn” in private.

And I know Kirk sees these comments as jokes, but he’s not a very good comedian.

With as measured as Ferentz is, I'm not entirely certain the comments he made about Hogan was an "accident".

I don't see anybody "mocking" Hogan. I do see some people criticizing his parting shot as he announced his transfer.
Leaving for more playing time, completely understandable. Best of luck to the young man. Playing "offended" as you leave rather than just completing the transfer process you'd already decided on weeks or perhaps months previous...pretty weak and worthy of criticism.

Last edited:
Who knows if Hogan was planning to leave. KF said something stupid that he shouldn't have, regardless.

Boo Hoo. I had a coach tell me flat out, in front of the team, that he hated me but still played me because I had starter talent. He was making a point to the back up whiners about playing time and how it’s earned. I didn’t sulk or quit the team. I took it for what it was.

You're right, I sure wish Kirk would stop offering kids who show potential in high school but just don't grow to reach that potential. He should only offer guys who will be sure fire hits, I'll email him and let him know.
Well, with Hogan gone we’re looking at recruiting miss after miss after miss….

Petras + Padilla + Hogan = 3 straight misses.

Soooo, that’s not great……

Reactions: dadster
How does it go? Hard times make strong men, strong men lead to better times. Better times lead to soft men, soft men lead to hard times? The people I know in their 20’s and early thirties…. for the soft bill with a few exceptions ( parenting matters)

I would tell your friend to relax his expectations on the star rating of high school children who are just barely beginning to develop physically. You can't possibly think it's that black and white?

We shouldn't drag Hogan through the mud, but it also seems like an ugly recipe when a player who hasn't made the necessary steps in development has a GOAT complex being fueled by a helicopter Mom. Everyone loses here, Hogan probably the most, and I'm happy to be critical of his mom for that.

ADVERTISEMENT