ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan Unraveled

Hey old man, where’d you play college football?

Well before all your softies changed the rules, reduced practice times, and got those who made men out of you little sissy boys fired because he called you a bad name your mommy didn't like. Wussification of society at best.

My head is swirling after reading the point/counterpoints in this thread. Guess I’ll just continue being an Iowa fan and keep my opinions to myself and stay away from these boards, unless I need a good laugh.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
This is ridiculous.

Even though I’d bet he got wind of Hogan’s interest in leaving prior, Kirk’s little joke was stupid. He had a slip of the tongue and he knows it.
As I recall Kirk did reply to effect that he himself shouldn’t coach kids during press briefings. So, he’s knows the effect his words have on kids and that they listen. He’s also human and held himself accountable with a reply. I’ve seen much worse comments out of other coaches who then out of pride never address their fault.
But, how the kids respond is what they themselves control. We have seen how the Hogan family responded.
If Duece starts for another team he will get much more scrutiny from fans and all media sources including message boards.

Hey old man, where’d you play college football?

Never got that answer..
What does where someone played college football have to do with anything? I once saw a gentleman ask that question of Fred Jackson and when he replied, the guy had to ask where Coe college was.
I also can't believe the "hey old man" line...you must be the itch in his jockstrap to ask it that way.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
What does where someone played college football have to do with anything? I once saw a gentleman ask that question of Fred Jackson and when he replied, the guy had to ask where Coe college was.
I also can't believe the "hey old man" line...you must be the itch in his jockstrap to ask it that way.
When he asked and I answered in a prior conversation a couple weeks ago, He referred to my football experience as basically making me unworthy of knowing anything and/or commenting about Iowa Football.

Since my experience of playing Iowa 4A high school football gives me zero ability to know football in his mind, I assumed he had more..hence my question to him..

Love you old tough guys in this thread. Bet you’re a blast at parties. Two things can be true here. Kirk made a comment he shouldn’t have made. He’s not funny. He apologized but probably doesn’t even know why he had to. Deuce was looking for an excuse to leave and was leaving anyway. Would have gone much better for both parties involved if all had not opened their mouths. This also has nothing to do with the pussification of America. Yet some of you are just looking for any kind of excuse to say it. The kid wasn’t happy and wasn’t going to play. Doesn’t make him a pussy. Now there’s a big snowstorm coming so some of you grouchy old fu$$s better start walking uphill 10 miles.

There is a lot of talking heads that came up with theses therories. I am not one to believe that this is all on Hogan. KF has shown he is human and that he makes mistakes. For every action, there is a reaction. It just might not be the reaction you were expecting

But we're home sapiens, right. "Thinking" man. While I would have advised Kirk to refrain from what I think he thought was just a poor joke it wasn't really a character attack or some kind of slur, just said he wouldn't like his chances with his third string quarterback.

First, we are not discussing action/reaction in physical sense. All the people involved can presumably think. Was KF's public shot a reaction to Hogan's earlier and more private action? Maybe it was a way of telling the public Hogan was not an option so stop asking. Hogan's response, and certainly getting his mother involved, was really stupid. It increased exposure. It picked a fight with a famous, very well respected and very well-liked head coach. When coaches ask around about Hogan do you think his response makes him appear like a man, who takes his medicine and doesn't pick public fights that make you look worse than remaining silent, learns from the experience and moves on. Or does it make him look childish (mom really makes Deuce look immature) and dramatic. Only desperate coaches invite drama into their program. Whose version of those events would most coaches believe Kirk Ferentz or a 21 y/o who has literally done nothing in three years at a good football school?​

Reactions: hawk224
You obviously don't know KF nor Iowa football...he's said all kinds of bad dad jokes over the yrs...for you or anyone else taking it as anything but such, proves society's wussification...well done softy.
You do realize that KF himself said he shouldn't have said that and apologized, right? It seems YOU don't know KF or Iowa Football.

But thanks for calling me a softy, dumbass.

Na, Kirk screwed up!

Hogan knew he was better than the 2 guys ahead of him that were struggling.

He pushed for a chance to carry the team and Kirk ****en up, ran his mouth and looks like a 70 year old fool bullying a 19 year old kid he's supposed to develop into a man.

Men don't make public jokes like that. Kirk is just a leader of the good old boys club.

Best wishes Hogan, go be a hulk and make it to the NFL.

Kirk needs some psychology classes. Looking at the basketball team, Fran never talks bad about a player publicly and basically defends them to a fault. Being made fun of publicly can do some major harm to a young adult’s confidence. The one problem with Fran in that realm is that it seems that he also believes the hype he creates over his players and forgets to work towards addressing deficiencies.

Rather than tearing him down publicly, maybe Kirk or one of his staff members can spend some time coaching the kid up to fix deficiencies. You should be defending and building them up publicly while privately working to improve them. Praise in public, “scorn” in private.

And I know Kirk sees these comments as jokes, but he’s not a very good comedian.
Or he should find out early instead of wasting four years ok the bench.

You
Love you old tough guys in this thread. Bet you’re a blast at parties. Two things can be true here. Kirk made a comment he shouldn’t have made. He’s not funny. He apologized but probably doesn’t even know why he had to. Deuce was looking for an excuse to leave and was leaving anyway. Would have gone much better for both parties involved if all had not opened their mouths. This also has nothing to do with the pussification of America. Yet some of you are just looking for any kind of excuse to say it. The kid wasn’t happy and wasn’t going to play. Doesn’t make him a pussy. Now there’s a big snowstorm coming so some of you grouchy old fu$$s better start walking uphill 10 miles.
You refer to me as an old tough guy... I made no comment about Deuce in this thread. Most people would say I am a good host of the party and/or a very cordial guest. The gatherings I do go to are for business in my position with the government so I would tell you they are kept to a professional level and my wife is retiring as a Practitioner from a large medical center and the gatherings we go to for her are also very professional.
We both still work out 4 days a week and I have competed as both a NANBF bodybuilder and a competitive powerlifter.
Littlez, maybe you should worry about that snowstorm coming and as far as calling me a grouchy old f***... Never been grouchy a day in my life, as life's to short.

Duece gets better with every one of these threads. A couple more and he'll be a first round pick. By this time next year he'll be Top 10.

Honestly, I have zero against the kid. I'm simply amused watching an internet legend being created right before our eyes.

Na, Kirk screwed up!

Hogan knew he was better than the 2 guys ahead of him that were struggling.

He pushed for a chance to carry the team and Kirk ****en up, ran his mouth and looks like a 70 year old fool bullying a 19 year old kid he's supposed to develop into a man.

Men don't make public jokes like that. Kirk is just a leader of the good old boys club.

Best wishes Hogan, go be a hulk and make it to the NFL.
He's so good he'll likely playing FCS football next year. If he were actually talented, he'd have an offer by now. I doubt he'll ever sniff the NFL. He was awful in junk duty when he did get it in.

You may not like Petras or Padilla but they are both miles ahead of where Hogan was. It was obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain and the reason KF made the comment he did, even if it was a slip.

Petras/Padilla were already ahead of him and Labas had passed him. He was already looking to transfer a month before the comment was made because he knew he was not good enough to win the job. With Labas passing him, he was never going to see any meaningful snaps.

Sometimes kids don't pan out.

Who knows if Hogan was planning to leave. KF said something stupid that he shouldn't have, regardless.
Get a pair young man. Kirk has a long history of supporting his players. Everyone slips up with words on occasion….I’m giving Kirk a mulligan on this one.

Reactions: mtown66
Kirk needs some psychology classes. Looking at the basketball team, Fran never talks bad about a player publicly and basically defends them to a fault. Being made fun of publicly can do some major harm to a young adult’s confidence. The one problem with Fran in that realm is that it seems that he also believes the hype he creates over his players and forgets to work towards addressing deficiencies.

Rather than tearing him down publicly, maybe Kirk or one of his staff members can spend some time coaching the kid up to fix deficiencies. You should be defending and building them up publicly while privately working to improve them. Praise in public, “scorn” in private.

And I know Kirk sees these comments as jokes, but he’s not a very good comedian.
It is a shame that you aren't coaching both the Iowa basketball team and the football team.

When he asked and I answered in a prior conversation a couple weeks ago, He referred to my football experience as basically making me unworthy of knowing anything and/or commenting about Iowa Football.

Since my experience of playing Iowa 4A high school football gives me zero ability to know football in his mind, I assumed he had more..hence my question to him..
Depends where you played 4a.

You
You refer to me as an old tough guy... I made no comment about Deuce in this thread. Most people would say I am a good host of the party and/or a very cordial guest. The gatherings I do go to are for business in my position with the government so I would tell you they are kept to a professional level and my wife is retiring as a Practitioner from a large medical center and the gatherings we go to for her are also very professional.
We both still work out 4 days a week and I have competed as both a NANBF bodybuilder and a competitive powerlifter.
Littlez, maybe you should worry about that snowstorm coming and as far as calling me a grouchy old f***... Never been grouchy a day in my life, as life's to short.
Lol. All good brother. Keep on maxing out.

Reactions: Section25
“Son, you didn’t squeeze my hand super hard when we met son I’m not surprised you didn’t amount to sh*t.”

Sincerely,

Old Folks stuck in their ways
You could not possibly have articulated the culturally disastrous decline of American masculinity.

Also, a perfect explanation for the Boomers hanging around so long. Hell, even pre-Boomers like Brandon and Mitch are still swimming around-as megalodons.

It's not the handshake, per se. It's not unsigned shoes, per se. It's what those things say about the man. Weak handshake, weak man. Unshined shoes, lazy or imprecise man.

It makes a difference over time. France was once a great nation, empire. In WW 1 the little froggies fought like tigers to literally protect their homes from another great nation and empire, Germany. Not much moral distinction between the two contestants.

France first became weak between the wars, as morality declined, and the French no longer felt they were a people or nation worth fighting for. Then Herr Hitler and the worst political movement in the long history of our species, together with some clever generals and the French collapsed in six weeks. Enormous moral difference but the French found their own culture unworthy of defense. Another 70 years go by and the French have become such utter pussies an entire trainload of Frenchmen were paralyzed by a single jihadi. Fortunately, not every boy in the generations behind mine has been feminized and trained to just wait for the right person (parents, teachers, coaches, police, army, etc...) to show up and fix their situation and make them feel good about their weakness. That is why three American boys took down the jihadi that had terrorized hundreds of French men.

There's a lesson in there for people with sufficient foresight to see it.​

Last edited:
Get a pair young man. Kirk has a long history of supporting his players. Everyone slips up with words on occasion….I’m giving Kirk a mulligan on this one.
What does that have to do with my balls? Which are big and glorious by the way!

I give him a mulligan as well. Doesn't invalidate a word I said. Your response is moronic.

You could not possibly have articulated the culturally disastrous decline of American masculinity.

Also, a perfect explanation for the Boomers hanging around so long. Hell, even pre-Boomers like Brandon and Mitch are still swimming around-as megalodons.

It's not the handshake, per se. It's not unsigned shoes, per se. It's what those things say about the man. Weak handshake, weak man. Unshined shoes, lazy or imprecise man.

It makes a difference over time. France was once a great nation, empire. In WW 1 the little froggies fought like tigers to literally protect their homes from another great nation and empire, Germany. Not much moral distinction between the two contestants.

France first became weak between the wars, as morality declined, and the French no longer felt they were a people or nation worth fighting for. Then Herr Hitler together with some clever generals and the French collapsed in six weeks. Another 70 years go by and the French have become such utter pussies an entire trainload of Frenchmen were paralyzed by a single jihadi. Fortunately, not every boy in the generations behind mine has been feminized and trained to just wait for the right person (parents, teachers, coaches, police, army, etc...) to show up and fix their situation and make them feel good about their weakness. That is why three American boys took down the jihadi that had terrorized hundreds of French men.

Sure, this is how you and others think.

This is the interpretation you and other older folks have. It’s what you want it to mean.

But things change.

In no way would a soft handshake make me think the man is weak. In no way does an unshined shoe mean the man is lazy. Just my opinion, obviously.

Sure, this is how you and others think.

This is the interpretation you and other older folks have. It’s what you want it to mean.

But things change.

In no way would a soft handshake make me think the man is weak. In no way does an unshined shoe mean the man is lazy. Just my opinion, obviously.
What is your employment, profession or occupation? Not where you work just what you do?

France first became weak between the wars, as morality declined, and the French no longer felt they were a people or nation worth fighting for. Then Herr Hitler together with some clever generals and the French collapsed in six weeks. Another 70 years go by and the French have become such utter pussies an entire trainload of Frenchmen were paralyzed by a single jihadi. Fortunately, not every boy in the generations behind mine has been feminized and trained to just wait for the right person (parents, teachers, coaches, police, army, etc...) to show up and fix their situation and make them feel good about their weakness. That is why three American boys took down the jihadi that had terrorized hundreds of French men.

This is hilarious. And pathetic.

Sure wish our offense wasn't so "complex." The only ones who seem to be able to master it are our opponents!
This. We must have the least effective “complex” offense in the history of college football. Probably a sign that things should be simplified, no? Maybe we have our QB’s over-thinking.

Reactions: unclesammy
Well, check out what he said about Labas yesterday.

And KF has made the same mistake over and over and over again regarding QBs and other offensive skill players. It's his way or the highway. He still, after 23 years and the turmoil of the recent past, refuses to acknowledge he's clueless about anything outside of the OL. He mocked Shonn Greene. He mocked DJK. He mocked Stanzi. Hell, he mocked CJ Beathard, just to name a few of so very many.

The Hogan and Labas things are SOP for the dean of college football coaches. And don't forget this little detail: Kirk Ferentz signed off on the signing of every one of these kids.

Hogan, a four/five-star QB from Texas ain't good enough to see the field behind Petras and Padilla? Really? Then why the hell sign him in the first place? Just use a manager or some walk-on from rec league football to run the scout team. Why waste a scholarship on a kid you're just going to mock and NEVER give a chance to play? Asking for a friend.

KF has done some fine things, but he has plenty of flaws. When they build his statue, he should be held up by Norm and Phil Parker, and KF should be wearing that shi##y, mocking grin that is his trademark. Just IMHO, of course.

BTW: Those of you mocking Hogan and other kids who want a CHANCE to show what they can do obviously have never played any meaningful sport and never have been held back along life's path by incompetents in front of you. Good for you.
Garbage post. Another ignore. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT