ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan vs Petras and others....

Chishawk1425

HR King
Nov 27, 2019
Hogan is coming in HOT and is VERY VERY confident boy I would love being a fly on the wall the next year or 2, major battle for the starting gig will ensue wonder if it will lead to a transfer like the Jake and CJ days.....Good problem to have but they are too close in grade to not be an issue.

There is two years difference. If Petras is good and Duece sees a clear path to being a two-year starter, he’s going to stick around.
Still borderline for a guy I view as ultra competitive talking about taking Iowa to the next level etc in Hogan. Long time to sit.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Nobody knows a thing. Not really the coaches at this point. With that said, let's have a thread!
My purpose....Hogan is dominating in his all star games etc and talking a big game on Twitter and Petras is the assumed starter in the wings, not much of a gap between the 2 and @swihawk also correctly mentions Padilla we have a massive battle on our hands.

Petras was as hyped of a recruit as Hogan. He broke Jared Goff’s high school passing records. His high school coach (who coached Goff too) compared Petras’s arm to John Elway’s.

My guess is that Petras will be very good. I also guess that because Petras will make mistakes (as every player does) there’s going to be a vocal minority of fans that think Deuce should get playing time.

My purpose....Hogan is dominating in his all star games etc and talking a big game on Twitter and Petras is the assumed starter in the wings, not much of a gap between the 2 and @swihawk also correctly mentions Padilla we have a massive battle on our hands.
I'm not sure I would put a ton of weight in those highlights. He was making some really nice throws, but it was against a team from Panama that the US spanked. This is not top talent that you are making these throws against.

Reactions: David1979
There is a huge gap between Petras and Hogan and Padilla will be ahead of him as well. He will redshirt so There is two years between them. Padilla is the forgotten QB. Let’s not forget Georgia offered him as well and he picked up the offense faster than any other freshman OKeefe has had.

Not going to matter when Petras goes pro after his junior year. Winning back to back natty titles should get him in the first round.

Can just imagine the locker room afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

HS highlights are overrated. With that said, I hope every player that comes in starts as a true Freshman b/c at Iowa that means you are pretty damn good.

I just hope this time Captain Kirk is fair and not loyal. Best man starts.....period. This was not the case with Jake C. and Stanzi. It took WAY TOO LONG to get clued in.

Good grief. Christensen started every game in 2007 and by even Stanzi's admission he wasn't ready to play that year. From the first game in 2008, Stanzi was getting time with the 1's. Just pulling your QB who started every game the previous year without letting things be settled on the field is bad way to operate. Iowa won the first 3 games with Stanzi having slightly better stats against Florida International and Maine, and then Stanzi was awful against Iowa State, going 5-14 with 2 picks. Christensen was 4-5 in that game (didn't do much, just handed off to Shonn Greene and Brodell had the punt return). So then they went on the road to Pitt and KF let Christensen have his last stand and he was bad.

Stanzi was the starter going forward, and in his first 2 starts Iowa loses to Northwestern and Michigan State. But KF had made the right decision and didn't flip-flop back to Christensen again. That season finally turns around after the loss at Illinois (where Stanzi goes 11-29 with 2 picks, FYI). But KF stays the course and the rest is history.

Yes, the program values loyalty. But they play the best players. The list of true freshmen/new players who have got the opportunity to play over the past decade is staggering. Fant, Hockenson, Epenesa, Goodson, Hooker, Wirfs, A. Jackson, Daniels, Hankins, Brents, Stone, Jewell, A. Nelson, ISM, Brandon Smith, Tracy, Ragaini, Linderbaum, all either true freshmen or redshirt freshmen who played big roles immediately. That's just off the top of my head, there are others. Stanley was the backup QB to Beathard his true freshman year ahead of Wiegers. KF has many faults, but this myth they don't play the best guys is just not true.

Petras will get the start as Hogan will need time to add weight for the STANLEY SNEAK/BULL DOZER!!!

Good grief. Christensen started every game in 2007 and by even Stanzi's admission he wasn't ready to play that year. From the first game in 2008, Stanzi was getting time with the 1's. Just pulling your QB who started every game the previous year without letting things be settled on the field is bad way to operate. Iowa won the first 3 games with Stanzi having slightly better stats against Florida International and Maine, and then Stanzi was awful against Iowa State, going 5-14 with 2 picks. Christensen was 4-5 in that game (didn't do much, just handed off to Shonn Greene and Brodell had the punt return). So then they went on the road to Pitt and KF let Christensen have his last stand and he was bad.

Stanzi was the starter going forward, and in his first 2 starts Iowa loses to Northwestern and Michigan State. But KF had made the right decision and didn't flip-flop back to Christensen again. That season finally turns around after the loss at Illinois (where Stanzi goes 11-29 with 2 picks, FYI). But KF stays the course and the rest is history.

Yes, the program values loyalty. But they play the best players. The list of true freshmen/new players who have got the opportunity to play over the past decade is staggering. Fant, Hockenson, Epenesa, Goodson, Hooker, Wirfs, A. Jackson, Daniels, Hankins, Brents, Stone, Jewell, A. Nelson, ISM, Brandon Smith, Tracy, Ragaini, Linderbaum, all either true freshmen or redshirt freshmen who played big roles immediately. That's just off the top of my head, there are others. Stanley was the backup QB to Beathard his true freshman year ahead of Wiegers. KF has many faults, but this myth they don't play the best guys is just not true.
Solid post. You should save this to avoid having to retype in the future.

Thanks for posting the facts. @Phenomenally Frantastic, what do you have to say to this?

ADVERTISEMENT