ADVERTISEMENT

Hogan vs Petras and others....

I just went through the entire history of the 2008 season elsewhere in the thread. The only game where it was remotely possible that it cost Iowa the game was at Pitt. Stanzi sucked balls against Iowa State, a game Christensen relieved him in, and Iowa won basically because Christensen handed it off to Greene and Brodell had a punt return. Iowa proceeded to lose the first 2 games Stanzi started against Northwestern and Michigan State and Iowa scored a whopping 13 and 17 points in those losses. Then Stanzi went 11-29 with 2 picks at Illinois (the final loss of that season).

I'm not one of those that think the coaches never make mistakes. Of course they do, they're human. But KF has a long enough track record of playing young players and letting younger guys beat out older ones that I'm going to be confident in saying they play who they think are the best players. That doesn't mean they are 100% correct, they play who they think are the best guys.

The bolded and underlined has always been the huge question with the offensive coaching. Not intent, but judgement.

We don't know that, but more importantly, the coaches didn't know that. Accuracy and poise under pressure, ability to find and get to escape gaps, leadership,......can not be evaluated in practice or by sitting on the bench.
The Titans didn’t know how good Tannehill was going to be for them either. It happens at every level.

So are the coaches not supposed to play who they believe gives them the best chance to win?

After improving their judgement, yes they are. That process
starts with checking with me more often or getting out of coaching.
Actually my consulting fees are quite reasonable. :)

My purpose....Hogan is dominating in his all star games etc and talking a big game on Twitter and Petras is the assumed starter in the wings, not much of a gap between the 2 and @swihawk also correctly mentions Padilla we have a massive battle on our hands.
I like your energy ... Petras is the man in 2020 ... and most likely in 2021 as well ... I like Hogan's confidence ... but Petras has taken part in 3 sets of spring practices after enrolling early ... Competition makes everyone better ... I won't be surprised if Padilla steps away at some point in the next year or so ... That's just the nature of the beast today - kids want to play ...

Do you really believe that there is not much of a gap between an incoming freshman and a player that has been in the program two years and has taken game snaps?

You are correct...there is a huge gap between what will be a third year guy and an incoming freshman...just huge at a school like Iowa. This isn’t Alabama..we are a developmental program. We are blessed at QB and wish Mansell stayed as he did have skills needed at times. Time will tell but if Petras does well Hogan could be in line for a few years. If not then next man up and in. Padilla could also make a move..I don’t think Hogan will just easily jump him but we shall see. Go Hawks...tough schedule next year for sure.

I like your energy ... Petras is the man in 2020 ... and most likely in 2021 as well ... I like Hogan's confidence ... but Petras has taken part in 3 sets of spring practices after enrolling early ... Competition makes everyone better ... I won't be surprised if Padilla steps away at some point in the next year or so ... That's just the nature of the beast today - kids want to play ...
Agree and KF cemented that feeling yesterday at his presser, not that I didn't expect him to do that. Good problem to have IF handled correctly and we know that hasn't happened here in the past but I like this staff and current assistants surrounding KF so should bode quite well for us.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
KF appears to like him some Petras. That is certainly good news that he is looking good enough to get praised by KF.

I just went through the entire history of the 2008 season elsewhere in the thread. The only game where it was remotely possible that it cost Iowa the game was at Pitt. Stanzi sucked balls against Iowa State, a game Christensen relieved him in, and Iowa won basically because Christensen handed it off to Greene and Brodell had a punt return. Iowa proceeded to lose the first 2 games Stanzi started against Northwestern and Michigan State and Iowa scored a whopping 13 and 17 points in those losses. Then Stanzi went 11-29 with 2 picks at Illinois (the final loss of that season).

I'm not one of those that think the coaches never make mistakes. Of course they do, they're human. But KF has a long enough track record of playing young players and letting younger guys beat out older ones that I'm going to be confident in saying they play who they think are the best players. That doesn't mean they are 100% correct, they play who they think are the best guys.
It was Pitt, that was the game that was burned into my mind that did cost IA the game, or largely cost them the game. 2008 ISU game I was there and I remember it being a wet mess so maybe that is why Stanzi was struggling but kudos to JC managing the team to a W as I remember there was not much O in general that game.

It was Pitt, that was the game that was burned into my mind that did cost IA the game, or largely cost them the game. 2008 ISU game I was there and I remember it being a wet mess so maybe that is why Stanzi was struggling but kudos to JC managing the team to a W as I remember there was not much O in general that game.

Yeah for sure. It shows how changing a QB is a bigger deal than just replacing a CB or a DL. I'm 100% certain that the coaches saw in the fall leading into 2008 that Stanzi was performing at a higher level, so the next step was to actually let him go prove it on the field. Which they did, playing both guys agains the tomato cans the first two games. It's likely they were ready to fully give it to Stanzi for the ISU game, but he played so poorly and Iowa scored a TD and the punt return by Brodell for a TD with Christensen in the game that they went back to Christensen for Pitt. And the rest is history.

Last edited:
Yeah for sure. It shows how changing a QB is a bigger deal than just replacing a CB or a DL. I'm 100% certain that the coaches saw in the fall leading into 2008 that Stanzi was performing at a higher level, so the next step was to actually let him go prove it on the field. Which they did, playing both guys agains the tomato cans the first two years. It's likely they were ready to fully give it to Stanzi for the ISU game, but he played so poorly and Iowa scored a TD and the punt return by Brodell for a TD with Christensen in the game that they went back to Christensen for Pitt. And the rest is history.
It is all good, I agree with your points, I was vehemently anti JC by the 2008 season and all in on Stanzi playing all the snaps but yes so much that goes into that. Water under the bridge. I just have a little bit of concern based on past handlings of these issues with all the talent that is stockpiling here but I think it'll pan out and could potentially be a great thing if handled the right away..

It is all good, I agree with your points, I was vehemently anti JC by the 2008 season and all in on Stanzi playing all the snaps but yes so much that goes into that. Water under the bridge. I just have a little bit of concern based on past handlings of these issues with all the talent that is stockpiling here but I think it'll pan out and could potentially be a great thing if handled the right away..

For sure. KF is pretty adamant that Petras is the guy right now, which I actually think is a good thing. He came in highly regarded, and if he's separated himself that is good. Of course, there is a difference between playing in practices and against an opponent. If he doesn't play well, they will go to the next guy(s).

Petras has essentially been anointed as the heir apparent. QB recruits coming to Iowa have a long history to review when coming here; they know what they're in for as much or more than with any program in the country.
Of course something unusual could happen, but I expect Petras to take nearly every meaningful game snap for the next two seasons (barring injury).

Reactions: mariner67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT