ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl/Citrus Bowl/Red Box

Kaiser_Soze

Team MVP
Oct 18, 2006
I am in no way an expert prognosticator, but based on what I have read I am not seeing much of a chance of Iowa in the Citrus in Orlando. If the other options are San Diego or San Francisco I can see there being a record of fewest fans attending those games b/c of cost. $500+/ticket to those locations. If you are buying for a family, it gets real very quick. Orlando on the other hand is a bit more manageable.

Has anyone seen a non-Iowa SID employee report that the Citrus was a viable option? I have only seen Michigan and maybe WI.

If it the Gator in Jax, probably nobody but the players parents will show up. That place is a dump.

Wisconsin would go to the Rose. They won't be penalized for playing an extra game.

What game would be the most enjoyable for the players? I think a trip to SanDiego would be a nice reward for them. Hope it’s the Holiday Bowl.

As a hawk fan in Sacramento I am very selfishly hoping for the red box bowl. I am very confident I could walk up and get amazing seats for pennies. If hawk fans are willing to fly from Minneapolis they can save major coin. Also look at Oakland and Sacramento airports depending where you're coming from to save money. Hell, if it's indeed in San Fran I'll let a couple hawks sleep on my pullout and we can carpool.

Reactions: Wadzinator
As a hawk fan in Sacramento I am very selfishly hoping for the red box bowl. I am very confident I could walk up and get amazing seats for pennies. If hawk fans are willing to fly from Minneapolis they can save major coin. Also look at Oakland and Sacramento airports depending where you're coming from to save money. Hell, if it's indeed in San Fran I'll let a couple hawks sleep on my pullout and we can carpool.

That would be a crap sandwich bowl after this season if that ended up being it.

Not saying I agree with it, but it isn’t out of the question. 10-2 Penn State against 9-3 Wisconsin
If Wisconsin's loses to OSU, 2 of their 3 losses would have come from OSU. PSU lost to OSU also. PSU also played in the Rose 3 years ago...Wisc 7-8 yrs ago. Head-head..Wisc is better than PSU imo.

I worked in the Mission district for a summer. We stayed in Pacifica right on the beach. Surfed at Half Moon Bay on the weekends. Great times.

Penalize Penn St because they play in the tougher East?

SOS, Wisconsin 38 and Penn State 41. So yes, the Penn State schedule was miles more difficult. Basically, it's Ohio State and then everyone else in the Big 10 this year. I could make the argument that PSU is the second-best team in the league this year because they are the only team to be semi-competitive with OSU. But either PSU or Wisconsin would be deserving. I suppose Minnesota might also be an option for the Rose.

Big 10 has become the Big 1 and everyone else. Middle tier of the Big 10 is pretty good, just no one on the level of OSU (and might not be anyone in the country who is on their level).

Florida being ranked ahead of Penn State is huge.
This means that the Orange Bowl would select Florida, since they will be stuck with Virginia (Orange is losing ACC rep, Clemson to CFP).
If Penn State can stay at 10, then they should get that Cotton Bowl NY6 slot vs G5 school.
Auburn is 11 and Alabama is 12 and will probably play in the Citrus and Outback Bowl, respectively.

For the B1G, Citrus would be either: Minnesota/Iowa/Michigan
Citrus is very chalky and would take Michigan.
Outback is Minnesota and Iowa would be Holiday.

I am in no way an expert prognosticator, but based on what I have read I am not seeing much of a chance of Iowa in the Citrus in Orlando. If the other options are San Diego or San Francisco I can see there being a record of fewest fans attending those games b/c of cost. $500+/ticket to those locations. If you are buying for a family, it gets real very quick. Orlando on the other hand is a bit more manageable.

Has anyone seen a non-Iowa SID employee report that the Citrus was a viable option? I have only seen Michigan and maybe WI.

If it the Gator in Jax, probably nobody but the players parents will show up. That place is a dump.

Think of all the fans who ponied up for the Rose despite the cost. Iowa hasn't been to the Holiday since '91 so it has the added appeal of not being yet another Florida bowl which I do think fans are a bit tired of at this point.

Honestly, the biggest problem for me is that the game is on December 27th this year, so traveling around Christmas will be a huge pain for many. I probably won't go regardless but that's largely because I went to Vegas last week for the bball tourney there and can't really afford to go to both.

In my experience, SMF is rarely cheaper than OAK or SFO. Sometimes San Jose is, though.

Think of all the fans who ponied up for the Rose despite the cost. Iowa hasn't been to the Holiday since '91 so it has the added appeal of not being yet another Florida bowl which I do think fans are a bit tired of at this point.

Honestly, the biggest problem for me is that the game is on December 27th this year, so traveling around Christmas will be a huge pain for many. I probably won't go regardless but that's largely because I went to Vegas last week for the bball tourney there and can't really afford to go to both.
The timing of the Holiday Bowl works for us. Off work from 12/14 until 1/2. Kids out of school starting 12/21 until 1/2. Problem is flight costs. Could fly into Vegas then drive.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Holiday Bowl - Friday night 8PM on FS1, owns the time spot

Redbox Bowl - Monday afternoon 4PM on FOX, up against Music City Bowl

Why are we even discussing this? People have to work on Monday, nobody in the country will be watching the Redbox Bowl. What a dog bowl game that is.

Just eliminating the PSU East loss.
The "East is better" is an easy narrative and one probably wrong if you eliminate OSU.
if you eliminate osu and wiscy, the east is still better.

i kept hearing how improved the west is this year, can't say I noticed it....

if you eliminate osu and wiscy, the east is still better.

i kept hearing how improved the west is this year, can't say I noticed it....
Minnesota best PSU, Wisky beat Michigan. All top teams in the East have a loss to the West except tOSU. Obviously tOSU is clearly #1. 2-6 are a toss up on any given day.

Holiday Bowl - Friday night 8PM on FS1, owns the time spot

Redbox Bowl - Monday afternoon 4PM on FOX, up against Music City Bowl

Why are we even discussing this? People have to work on Monday, nobody in the country will be watching the Redbox Bowl. What a dog bowl game that is.

It is a crap bowl which is why Mich State played in it last year when their record sucked.

Wisconsin also lost to 6-6 Illinois, PSU to 10-2 Minnesota.

Then the committee would have already had Penn State above Wisconsin and they do not. Wisconsin will not get penalized for a loss in an extra game.

Meh. Give them a sleeping bag and let them have the real SF experience.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
There is buzz on the street in Iowa
City, that the Hawkeyes are headed
to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

Barta has said several times now that
Iowa will not be in the Gator Bowl.

Collegefootballnews is now projecting Iowa v. Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. With OSU, Wisky and PSU all in the playoff/NY6 mix, everyone else then moves up one in the pecking order. Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State have all been more recently than Iowa so there's a very real shot of going to Orlando.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
ADVERTISEMENT