ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl/Citrus Bowl/Red Box

Florida being ranked ahead of Penn State is huge.
This means that the Orange Bowl would select Florida, since they will be stuck with Virginia (Orange is losing ACC rep, Clemson to CFP).
If Penn State can stay at 10, then they should get that Cotton Bowl NY6 slot vs G5 school.
Auburn is 11 and Alabama is 12 and will probably play in the Citrus and Outback Bowl, respectively.

For the B1G, Citrus would be either: Minnesota/Iowa/Michigan
Citrus is very chalky and would take Michigan.
Outback is Minnesota and Iowa would be Holiday.

The prognosticators at CBS and ESPN list Utah, Auburn or Baylor as playing Memphis in Cotton Bowl.

ESPN’s pickers put Michigan in Citrus and Wisconsin in Gator. PSU in Rose.

CBS has Wisconsin in Rose and Michigan in Gator. PSU in Citrus.

They all have Iowa in Holiday.

Wisconsin dropping to Gator? That’s crazy.

Michigan drops below Iowa in bowl pecking order. I’ll believe it only when match-ups are announced.

The prognosticators at CBS and ESPN list Utah, Auburn or Baylor as playing Memphis in Cotton Bowl.

ESPN’s pickers put Michigan in Citrus and Wisconsin in Gator. PSU in Rose.

CBS has Wisconsin in Rose and Michigan in Gator. PSU in Citrus.

They all have Iowa in Holiday.

Wisconsin dropping to Gator? That’s crazy.

Michigan drops below Iowa in bowl pecking order. I’ll believe it only when match-ups are announced.

Wisconsin is not dropping below Penn State and be penalized for playing an extra game.

IDK, I'm not planning to go to the bowl game, no matter where it is. But it seems to me that He Holiday would be attractive to fans.

Hawks played in the Holiday Bowl in 1991, and have played in 20 bowls since then. Of those 20, nine were in Florida, but only 1 in CA (Rose).

Hope they get a big crowd from Iowa!

Collegefootballnews is now projecting Iowa v. Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. With OSU, Wisky and PSU all in the playoff/NY6 mix, everyone else then moves up one in the pecking order. Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State have all been more recently than Iowa so there's a very real shot of going to Orlando.

Citrus has a goal of 5 different teams in 6 years. That's the way all the agreements are written - not "only 1 team can be a repeat in 6 years". They're not going to reach that goal of 5 because they've only had 3 Big Ten teams so far in 5 years (2 years B1G got Orange Bowl instead). Minnesota, Michigan, and PSU have all been to Orlando during the past 5 years, if they pick one of them they'd only 3 teams in 6 years. They'll obviously take Wisconsin if they're available, but maybe if the Badgers make NY6 then in an attempt to get closer to the goal of 5 they'd take Iowa as their 4th team in 6 years? Works for me

I analyzed all the possibilities based on the outcomes of all five CCG's. Unless the Citrus truly is viewing PSU, Michigan, and Minnesota as in "breach of their agreement" I don't see how we end up there, unless they just WANT us. So my first analysis was to judge the likelihood of the Holiday Bowl, and I determined that we had no shot at Citrus and were "banned" from the Gator Bowl. So the two options are Holiday or Redbox. According to my calculations in the linked spreadsheet below, following this logic, we have a 38% shot at Holiday and 62% shot at Redbox. As Leistikow's article pointed out, our chances for Holiday greatly improve if LSU wins. The P12 only getting one team in NY6, and Clemson winning, also greatly helps. And then for some scenarios it is just a question of how the committee ranks Wisc/PSU/Florida/Baylor-OU loser for the Cotton and Orange Bowls.

HOLIDAY BOWL CHANCES
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/12/5/63a435a52802d9b5f4d224a2e02bc677-full.jpg

Last edited:
But if we assume the Citrus Bowl won't consider PSU, Minnesota, and Michigan as repeat offenders that leads to this revised matrix. Basically the things to cheer for this weekend remain the same: LSU, Clemson, 1 P12 team. Under this theory we have a 42% chance at Citrus and 58% chance at Redbox.

CITRUS BOWL CHANCES
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/12/5/3e2ee89b7fd9f031e8f40e3eba8a933c-full.jpg

I suppose, since we don't really know what the Citrus is thinking, the accurate thing would be to say we have about a 20% chance at Holiday, 20% at Citrus, and 60% chance at Redbox if the bowls generally stick to their agreements.

What do you all think the possibility is that the SEC and B1G will work with (or within) the committee to assure that the SEC gets the Orange Bowl, so that B1G can have the Cotton Bowl. Not necessarily at the expense of the B12, but definitely to avoid the ACC getting a Citrus bid. There's no way the Citrus Bowl wants VaTech or Wake Forest! I believe in 2014 Mississippi St inexplicably moved ahead of Michigan St and then Miss St got the Orange and the Spartans got the Cotton Bowl. Neither MSU team played in their CCG that year. Like Iowa to Rose Bowl in 2015, the committee does what it wants (within explainable reason) to get the teams they want. So maybe I should relax a little about this Orange Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Citrus Bowl thing ;-)

But if we assume the Citrus Bowl won't consider PSU, Minnesota, and Michigan as repeat offenders that leads to this revised matrix. Basically the things to cheer for this weekend remain the same: LSU, Clemson, 1 P12 team. Under this theory we have a 42% chance at Citrus and 58% chance at Redbox.

CITRUS BOWL CHANCES
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/12/5/3e2ee89b7fd9f031e8f40e3eba8a933c-full.jpg

I suppose, since we don't really know what the Citrus is thinking, the accurate thing would be to say we have about a 20% chance at Holiday, 20% at Citrus, and 60% chance at Redbox if the bowls generally stick to their agreements.

People on this board talk a lot about how Iowa is disrespected, not a "blue blood," etc., but one thing is pretty consistent - Iowa rarely gets hosed when it comes to bowl game destinations. I see no way Iowa drops to the Redbox Bowl. It would be the first time we punched well below our weight since the '91 Holiday, maybe the '96 Alamo.

Would love to make the drive to Nashville with a group to take in the game.

CITRUS BOWL CHANCES

Iowa needs PSU and Wisconsin to both be in NY6 bowls. Regardless of whether which team goes to which bowl, Iowa fans really should be hoping that PSU and Wisconsin take slots in the Rose and Cotton. If that happens, it appears that Iowa would be in the Citrus or Holiday. The Citrus would pick between Iowa and Michigan with the Holiday taking the team not picked by the Citrus. This, of course, assumes that the Citrus doesn't care that Michigan has played in that bowl in the last 6 years.

If PSU or Wisconsin - whoever doesn't get the Rose bid - doesn't land in the Cotton, that team will take the Citrus bid. And that would leave the Holiday picking between Iowa and Michigan. The team not picked by the Holiday would fall to the Gator (Michigan) or Redbox (Iowa).

Any Iowa fan looking for the Hawks to avoid a Redbox Bowl should be rooting hard for Wisconsin to give OSU a real fight.

Iowa needs PSU and Wisconsin to both be in NY6 bowls. Regardless of whether which team goes to which bowl, Iowa fans really should be hoping that PSU and Wisconsin take slots in the Rose and Cotton. If that happens, it appears that Iowa would be in the Citrus or Holiday. The Citrus would pick between Iowa and Michigan with the Holiday taking the team not picked by the Citrus. This, of course, assumes that the Citrus doesn't care that Michigan has played in that bowl in the last 6 years.

If PSU or Wisconsin - whoever doesn't get the Rose bid - doesn't land in the Cotton, that team will take the Citrus bid. And that would leave the Holiday picking between Iowa and Michigan. The team not picked by the Holiday would fall to the Gator (Michigan) or Redbox (Iowa).

Any Iowa fan looking for the Hawks to avoid a Redbox Bowl should be rooting hard for Wisconsin to give OSU a real fight.
Unfortunately, tOSU is going to want to beat Wisky as badly as they can to keep the #1 ranking to set up a semi with someone other than LSU and Clemson.

How do you win 9 games in a season and end up in the Redbox Bowl? Isn't that they bowl that took a 5-7 Nebraska team a few years back? Just a trash of a bowl. The only good thing if we end up there is the extra practices the team gets.

Reactions: iahawks10
How do you win 9 games in a season and end up in the Redbox Bowl? Isn't that they bowl that took a 5-7 Nebraska team a few years back? Just a trash of a bowl. The only good thing if we end up there is the extra practices the team gets.

Agree. Too many really good, ranked teams in the B1G. In years past a 9-3 record with close losses to top-10 teams would have us contending for the Citrus.

Easy answer. You have OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Iowa all with 9+ wins. You also have a contract with various bowls which precludes the Outback and Gator from selecting a team that has played in that bowl once in the previous 6 years. That leaves Citrus, Holiday and Redbox for Iowa and potentially Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa competing for those three spots. Take Wisconsin out of the mix and Iowa won't be in the Redbox. Put Wisconsin in the mix and Iowa's in the Redbox because . . . none of the 9 wins and 2 of the three losses were to Wisconsin and Michigan. I don't like it but the reality is that Iowa didn't take care of matters on the field against those two teams and both games were winnable.

My heart wants Utah to win tonight & make the playoff, but if they do I think our path Citrus/Holiday (no Redbox) can only happen if the OU/Baylor passes them in the rankings (and LSU, Clemson, and OSU win). That would put Utah in Rose and Oregon out of NY6, Georgia & OU/Baylor loser in Sugar, Florida likely in Orange, and PSU/Wisc in Cotton.

If OU & Utah win, but Utah gets into playoff then we have to sweat out whether Baylor gets Cotton.
If Baylor & Utah win, but Utah gets into playoff then I think Oklahoma almost assuredly gets Cotton.

NFW Iowa goes to the Redbox bowl.

Agreed, and they deserve better. If Iowa falls to the Redbox at (9-3), then the B1G needs to reconsider its bowl alignments and contracts. That would be a complete joke.

I hope a back door deal works out to where another conference switches with the B1G (not likely) or they’re loose the rules “guidelines” and the Hawks make a better bowl. If it is in fact the Redbox, I can only imagine how bad the attendance is going to be.

My heart wants Utah to win tonight & make the playoff, but if they do I think our path Citrus/Holiday (no Redbox) can only happen if the OU/Baylor passes them in the rankings (and LSU, Clemson, and OSU win). That would put Utah in Rose and Oregon out of NY6, Georgia & OU/Baylor loser in Sugar, Florida likely in Orange, and PSU/Wisc in Cotton.

If OU & Utah win, but Utah gets into playoff then we have to sweat out whether Baylor gets Cotton.
If Baylor & Utah win, but Utah gets into playoff then I think Oklahoma almost assuredly gets Cotton.

For Iowa to necessarily avoid the Redbox, it needs an SEC team in the Orange Bowl, a B1G team in the Cotton Bowl with the Citrus Bowl being able to pick a B1G team. If any of those variables don't fall into place, we'll be left hoping that the Holiday Bowl chooses Iowa over a team that is ranked higher in the CFP rankings, beat Iowa head-to-head, is a college "blue blood" program and has one of the largest alumni bases in the country (including a huge southern California presence). Translation . . . we all better hope that the variables noted above fall into place.

Reactions: haightt
Agreed, and they deserve better. If Iowa falls to the Redbox at (9-3), then the B1G needs to reconsider its bowl alignments and contracts. That would be a complete joke.

I hope a back door deal works out to where another conference switches with the B1G (not likely) or they’re loose the rules “guidelines” and the Hawks make a better bowl. If it is in fact the Redbox, I can only imagine how bad the attendance is going to be.
Attendance? It's on in the middle of the day on a Monday that is a workday for most of the working population in this country. It's not just attendance it's TV viewership too.

ADVERTISEMENT