ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday weekend outdoor cooking plans?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Tomorrow: Smoked carnitas on the PBC.
Sunday: Leftover smoked carnitas.
Monday: Burgers, hot dogs and linguica sausage.

Here's the recipe I'm using for the carnitas:

It's gonna be guuuud!

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork. That's the extent of slow and low this weekend. 4th of July is for hot dogs. Glorious, glorious hot dogs with baked beans, watermelon, lemonade and beer. Lots of beer. Lots of hot dogs. Mmmmm.

Reactions: The Tradition
Instead of a butt, I'm using a picnic shoulder. I cut the skin off this morning and I'll make some cracklins with that.

Recipe for the cracklins:

our new tradition is getting smokin butt BBQ for our July 4th party

our neighborhood lights off about $20k in fireworks so I don't have to drive anywhere :)

c108-BBQ-Smokin-Butt-BBQ-burger.jpg

our neighborhood lights off about $20k in fireworks so I don't have to drive anywhere :)

That's the way it is here around Lake Tradition. Everyone who lives around the lakefront puts on a great show and we have an awesome view of everyone's displays.

It's like a warzone, though. The dogs hate it.

Last edited:
I'm rounding all weekend. Hoping I can bust out early on Monday but won't be able to smoke anything. Gonna go with the standard brats/dogs/burgers. Maybe I'll smoke some Mac and cheese.

Planning on doing Cornell Chicken on the grill today. Tomorrow go to the in-laws for probably typical burgers/brats/hot dogs

Instead of a butt, I'm using a picnic shoulder. I cut the skin off this morning and I'll make some cracklins with that.

Recipe for the cracklins:

These cracklins were the best attempt I've ever tried making these things. Crunchy but not too hard. slow frying is definitely better than boiling, oven rendering, or doing the first step out on the smoker.

Note: Keep the heat on LOW. Don't bump it up to 1. With the stove on 1, they started frying too quickly lending a slightly burnt taste to the end product.

And if you're only doing one pound of skin in a stovetop pot instead of 30 pounds in a massive witch's cauldron, it'll get done a lot faster than StaleKracker's recipe (mine were done after about two hours).

I am gonna “Tom Sawyer” nephews and nieces into producing hand cranked peach ice cream.

Going to try to do some smoked chicken thighs. First attempt.

Standard Johnsonville brats tomorrow. With mustard, like God intended.

I see lots of future colon and rectal cancer patients here. Oncologists would salivate at this thread.
Just like I salivate at all this delicious grilled and smoked meat. 🤤 colon and rectal cancer is something for future lonestar50 to worry about

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I ended getting a beautiful redfish yesterday. So going to either grill it on hard wood for tacos with some fresh tortillas and salads or try to oven roast it in the pizza oven attachment for the Weber kettle.

I do have pork belly on the smoker and making dough for bao

My next bet is that Trad gets colon polyps within 2 years 🤔 All that smoking and smoking.

Reactions: blhawk
I have chicken drummies and a smoker. No idea what I'm doing next. I'll also make some brats, burgers, and hot dogs. Wife wants drummies though and I've never made them on a smoker. Party starts in an hour so I'm way behind the 8 ball.

Smoked chicken thighs are awesome. Might I recommend this recipe?

You may indeed! Post-Covid I’ve cooked at home more than probably the ten years prior it. Got my baked chicken thighs recipe down pretty well.

Any good vegetable side dishes would be appreciated. Trying to get more veggies in the diet.

I have chicken drummies and a smoker. No idea what I'm doing next. I'll also make some brats, burgers, and hot dogs. Wife wants drummies though and I've never made them on a smoker. Party starts in an hour so I'm way behind the 8 ball.
What kind of smoker. If it’s a Weber Smokey mountain - grill it on the top row over hard wood. You can toss a chunk for smoke., but it’s the best way to cooking chicken.

Chicken legs or drumettes?

Either way, you'll want to smoke them kinda hot, at least 300, or else the skin will be rubbery.

What kind of smoker. If it’s a Weber Smokey mountain - grill it on the top row over hard wood. You can toss a chunk for smoke., but it’s the best way to cooking chicken.
Chicken legs or drumettes?

Either way, you'll want to smoke them kinda hot, at least 300, or else the skin will be rubbery.
Pit Boss. Only has one shelf and they are chicken drumsticks. I'm not 100% worried about the skin. We have an air fryer we can throw them in to finish off.

You may indeed! Post-Covid I’ve cooked at home more than probably the ten years prior it. Got my baked chicken thighs recipe down pretty well.

Any good vegetable side dishes would be appreciated. Trying to get more veggies in the diet.
This is kind of time intensive but it is so good. Even if you don't make it today I highly recommend you make it at some point

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Brisket burgers, jalapeno poppers, shrimp, scallops and green beans all on the Traeger.

I just pulled the Impossible Burgers from the freezer. They will be gtg in the cast iron skillet tonight.

• Sad
Did ribs & chicken eings on the grill Saturday, had leftovers yesterday. Going to the beach today & will eat out somewhere

Ribs, pork and beef short ribs
Chicken
Homemade Coleslaw
Homemade potato salad
Baked beans
Cucumber/Tomato salad

Sweet Iced Tea
Cake and ice cream

Short carb coma to follow while watching TV 😬🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Happy Birthday America!

Ribs, pork and beef short ribs
Chicken
Homemade Coleslaw
Homemade potato salad
Baked beans
Cucumber/Tomato salad

Sweet Iced Tea
Cake and ice cream

Short carb coma to follow while watching TV 😬🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Happy Birthday America!

What time should I show up for supper?

Reactions: goldmom
Food cooked over a fire is always tasty, now we do only barbecue, but earlier we cooked soup too. And I never ate anything tastier than outdoors. We often take a piece of tofu and make it here https://www.amazon.com.au/TofuBud-Tofu-Press-Presser-Drainer/dp/B086Q4TRG8 (there is a recipe attached). Convenient that you can make it anywhere. It's good to serve with potatoes and canned foods. They also make a delicious meal, and everything in nature is delicious. My friend likes vegan meals, and I make desserts at home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT