ADVERTISEMENT

Home fries V. hash browns

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Why do some restaurants try and pass off hash browns from a bag as home fries? They are clearly an inferior food product. Home fries need to be cubed, and at a minimum have onions in them.
I had lunch at a 70 year old small town diner in rural Indiana today that bills itself as a classic step back in time.hash browns passed off as home fries. CSB.
I figured we could all use a break from war talk.
Discuss. Does anyone here besides Trad think hash browns are the same as home fries?

Screw you, Lucas.

They're obviously not the same.

That said, you're sort of correct in the fact that I like hash browns better than home fries. Very few people can make home fries right.

Cubed taters to me are how one tin foil wrap and grill/oven bake cut up potatoes. Bagged Ore-Ida's are much smaller cubes, but always pan fried like below (and shredded hash browns).

"Home fries" to me are sliced potatoes (like a potato chip, but a tad bit thicker), pan fried, in a cast iron skillet as absolutely hot as you can get it. Throw them in, let them sit until golden brown, then if cooked correct you can flip over the entire skillet in one turn (the whole thing sort of fuses together) - then repeat.

That's how we made home made fried potatoes. That's what we called them - simply "fried potatoes" and not home fries.

I had to Google it and I have always called those “diced potatoes.”

Reactions: dgordo
They are most definitely not the same thing. One is shredded potatoes while the other are cubed/diced potatoes. When home fries are done correctly they are superior to hash browns. Getting the proper crispy texture on the outside and soft but not mushy texture inside is a difficult ask though.

Reactions: The Tradition
I’ve never been to a diner that did that. Of course they a real two different things.

Cubed taters to me are how one tin foil wrap and grill/oven bake cut up potatoes. Bagged Ore-Ida's are much smaller cubes, but always pan fried like below (and shredded hash browns).

"Home fries" to me are sliced potatoes (like a potato chip, but a tad bit thicker), pan fried, in a cast iron skillet as absolutely hot as you can get it. Throw them in, let them sit until golden brown, then if cooked correct you can flip over the entire skillet in one turn (the whole thing sort of fuses together) - then repeat.

That's how we made home made fried potatoes. That's what we called them - simply "fried potatoes" and not home fries.
I think sliced is acceptable, just not shredded.

Why do some restaurants try and pass off hash browns from a bag as home fries? They are clearly an inferior food product. Home fries need to be cubed, and at a minimum have onions in them.
I had lunch at a 70 year old small town diner in rural Indiana today that bills itself as a classic step back in time.hash browns passed off as home fries. CSB.
Discuss. Does anyone here besides Trad think hash browns are the same as home fries?
This diner should be fined, sanctioned, scorned, etc. These two food items are nothing alike. Maybe that's a weird Indiana thing where they call hash browns "home fries" (or they just need to increase their education budget).

Also, it's insulting because we all know it's a hash browns vs home fries world out there. Just like Coke vs Pepsi, Munsters vs Addams Family, Jordan vs Lebron, you're either a hash browns guy or a home fries guy.

Every time I go out to breakfast with my dad we go through this routine where he tries to persuade me to order the home fries because "this place does them better than anyone". Meanwhile I don't care, I'm a hash browns guy, I'll take mediocre hash browns over [supposed] excellent home fries.

Give me that crispy shredded potato goodness any time!!! #HB4LIFE
l-intro-1602256058.jpg

Hash browns > home fries

This diner should be fined, sanctioned, scorned, etc. These two food items are nothing alike. Maybe that's a weird Indiana thing where they call hash browns "home fries" (or they just need to increase their education budget).

Also, it's insulting because we all know it's a hash browns vs home fries world out there. Just like Coke vs Pepsi, Munsters vs Addams Family, Jordan vs Lebron, you're either a hash browns guy or a home fries guy.

Every time I go out to breakfast with my dad we go through this routine where he tries to persuade me to order the home fries because "this place does them better than anyone". Meanwhile I don't care, I'm a hash browns guy, I'll take mediocre hash browns over [supposed] excellent home fries.

Give me that crispy shredded potato goodness any time!!! #HB4LIFE
l-intro-1602256058.jpg

Good looking latkes.

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT