ADVERTISEMENT

Home State of Every Iowa Champion and AA (updated)

pablow

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2010
Updated list. PA has moved to 3rd on the AA list and Pat Lugo is Iowa's first all-American from Florida.

Iowa NCAA Champions

Iowa (28): Royce Alger (x2), Leslie Beers, Jay Borschel, Terry Brands (x2), Tom Brands (x3), Pete Bush, Cory Clark, Jim Craig, Barry Davis (x3), Kevin Dresser, Lee Fullhart, Dick Govig, Mark Ironside (x2), Eric Juergens (x2), Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Matt McDonough (x2), Jeff McGinness (x2), Cliff Moore, Mark Reiland, Simon Roberts, Derek St. John, Doug Schwab, Sherwyn Thorson, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck Yagla (x2), and Jim Zalesky (x3).
Illinois (7): Dan Holm, Terry McCann (x2), Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Joe Williams (x3), T.J. Williams (x2), and Tony Ramos
New York (3): Ed Banach (x3), Lou Banach (x2), and Brad Penrith.
South Dakota (2): Randy Lewis (x2) and Lincoln McIlravy (x3)
North Dakota (2): Terry Steiner and Troy Steiner
Minnesota (2): Ken Leuer and Joel Sharratt
New Jersey (2): Chris Campbell (x2) and Steve Mocco
California (1): Marty Kistler (x2)
Colorado (1): Duane Goldman
Maryland (1): Rico Chiapparelli
Michigan (1): Brent Metcalf (x2)
Montana (1): Bill Zadick
Nebraska (1): Joe Scarpello (x2)
Ohio (1): Jim Heffernan
Oklahoma (1): Mark Perry (x2)
Pennsylvania (1): Spencer Lee (x2)

Iowa NCAA AAs

Iowa (84): Royce Alger, Doug Anderson, Morris Barnhill, Leslie Beers, Doug Benschoter, Jay Borschel, John Bowlsby, Paul Bradley, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Pete Bush, Joe Carstensen, Bart Chelesvig, Cory Clark, Jim Craig, Barry Davis, Kevin Dresser, Matt Egeland, Chalie Falck, Matt Fields, Travis Fiser, Lee Fullhart, Ryan Fulsaas, Grant Gambrall, Vince Garcia, Thomas Gilman, Dan Glenn, Dick Govig, Byron Guernsey, Wes Hand, Jamie Heidt, Phil Henning, Tom Huff, Mark Ironside, Harlan Jenkinson, Eric Juergens, Loy Julius, Jeff Kerber, Earl Kielhorn, Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Rometo Macias, Montell Marion, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Mike McGivern, Rich Mihal, Albert Montgomery, Cliff Moore, Ryan Morningstar, Keith Mourlam, Alex Myer, Matt Nerem, Tyler Nixt, John Oostendorp, Dean Phinney, Greg Randall, Mark Reiland, Ralph Rieks, Tom Riley, Simon Roberts, Doug Schwab, Bill Sherman, Streeter Shining, Ben Shirk, Brooks Simpson, Mark Sindlinger, Joey Slaton, Jessman Smith, Derek St. John, Brandon Sorensen, Mark Stevenson, Doug Streicher, Verlyn Strellner, Sherwyn Thorson, Gordon Trapp, Mike Uker, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck Yagla, Jim Zalesky, Lenny Zalesky, Paul Zander, and Chad Zaputil
Illinois (18): Sam Brooks, Steve Combs, Tim Cysewski, Daniel Dennis, Dan Holm, Fran McCann, Terry McCann, Mike Mena, King Mueller, Tony Ramos, Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Mark Trizzino, Scott Trizzino, Dan Wagemann, Jacob Warner, Joe Williams, and T.J. Williams
Pennsylvania (7): Ray Brinzer, Austin DeSanto, Mike Evans, Michael Kemerer, Spencer Lee, Jody Strittmatter, and Kaleb Young
Minnesota (5): Mike Edwards, Luke Eustice, Ty Eustice, Ken Leuer, Joel Sharratt, and Sam Stoll
New York (5): Ed Banach, Lou Banach, Brad Penrith, Tom Ryan, and Greg Stevens
Ohio (4): Mike DeAnna, Jim Heffernan, John Heffernan, and Alex Marinelli
South Dakota (3): Randy Lewis, Lincoln McIlravy, and Jan Sanderon
North Dakota (3): Kasey Gilliss, Terry Steiner, and Troy Steiner
Utah (3): Phillip Keddy, Ethan Lofthouse, and Luke Lofthouse
California (3): Harlan Kistler, Lindley Kistler, Marty Kistler
New Jersey (3): Chris Campbell, Joe Melchiore, and Steve Mocco
Kansas (2): Joe Johnston and Eric Luedke
Indiana (2): Bud Palmer and Alex Tsirtsis
Colorado (2): Duane Goldman and Nathan Burak
Montana (2): Bill Zadick and Mike Zadick
Alaska (1): Gabe McMahan
Delaware (1): Bobby Telford
Florida (1): Pat Lugo
Idaho (1): Dan Erekson
Maryland (1): Rico Chiapparelli
Michigan (1): Brent Metcalf
Nebraska (1): Joe Scarpello
Oklahoma (1): Mark Perry
Virginia (1): Steve Martin

Last edited:
I continue to think that Missouri is under appreciated by the Iowa staff. Not Pennsylvania by any means, but it is comparable to Illinois in terms of NCAA results. Being a border state, I'm not sure why Iowa doesn't do a little more there.

I always enjoy seeing this list updated every year with new guys and new states like Florida. Maybe we can get it stickied to the top of the forum for easier reference.

Outside of Iowa I dont believe the state matters much these daysand it shouldn't. Any high level recruit that has the right style and mindset the Brands will recruit no matter what state. With the traveling that elite young wrestlers/families will do nowadays and the access to large tournaments at the JH/HS level it makes recruiting out of state wrestlers easier and less time consuming.

Outside of Iowa I dont believe the state matters much these daysand it shouldn't. Any high level recruit that has the right style and mindset the Brands will recruit no matter what state. With the traveling that elite young wrestlers/families will do nowadays and the access to large tournaments at the JH/HS level it makes recruiting out of state wrestlers easier and less time consuming.
Agreed but clearly it matters in the sense that lots of kids want to go to college relatively close to where they grow up. I’m sure we can all point to exceptions but on average it looks like it definitely matters and the list above seems to support that. The list above to me says that even during the Gable years the foundation of the team was built on kids that grew up in Iowa or a neighboring state.

Looks like we need to go a better job getting recruits out of Oklahoma. Maybe get Perry on it?

Seriously though Pablow, thanks for the list.

Reactions: Fungi2Bwith
Thanks for the list. No real surprises there, data to back up the importance of keeping high profile in-state recruits at Iowa!

Agreed but clearly it matters in the sense that lots of kids want to go to college relatively close to where they grow up. I’m sure we can all point to exceptions but on average it looks like it definitely matters and the list above seems to support that. The list above to me says that even during the Gable years the foundation of the team was built on kids that grew up in Iowa or a neighboring state.
Geography matters. It does in every sport. That is why every football blue blood has a rich recruiting base. There are exceptions, but location is the rule. The stats show it and the experts know it. The kids want to be close to family and the families want to see the kids compete. College basketball is the sport that bucks the trend most, but the blue chips are only investing a year away.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
I believe every one of Gables teams had at least 50% of the lineup from Iowa. Not positive, but pretty sure that is true. That's a long time, and some great teams, and great Iowa homegrown wrestlers (Midwest heavy for sure). That ship has clearly sailed, unfortunately.

Iowa has always been able to recruit nationally, but regionally is a lot easier. No-brainer.

I always believed that the so-called decline in Iowa high school wrestling had a lot to do with Iowa State. When Nichols left and Bobby Douglas came on, the ISU sort of lost that linkage to Iowa. Bobby had some good Iowa wrestlers, but he really emphasized nation-wide recruiting. Then Cael, then KJ. . . . Dresser will change this.

It's kinda of a chicken or egg thing - is Iowa high school wrestling down, or are the Iowa kids just not being picked up and developed in college as they were under Gable and Nichols? Remember Eric Volker - two time NCAA champ - his best finish at state in the single A division was third. Makes you wonder. Now we had Foster last week - he wasn't much in HS.

I always believed that the so-called decline in Iowa high school wrestling had a lot to do with Iowa State. When Nichols left and Bobby Douglas came on, the ISU sort of lost that linkage to Iowa. Bobby had some good Iowa wrestlers, but he really emphasized nation-wide recruiting. Then Cael, then KJ. . . . Dresser will change this.

It's kinda of a chicken or egg thing - is Iowa high school wrestling down, or are the Iowa kids just not being picked up and developed in college as they were under Gable and Nichols? Remember Eric Volker - two time NCAA champ - his best finish at state in the single A division was third. Makes you wonder. Now we had Foster last week - he wasn't much in HS.

In a poor attempt to paraphrase, I want to say I remember an interview one time with Brands that said he prefered to get kids in that didn't have 4 state titles, that they tend to be hungrier and want to earn that NC...that being said, I also think that this was before the arms-race that the other school set off by going after all top 10 kids in each weight class...it will be curious to see how this shakes out in the long run, something is bound to make this all balance back out (i.e. these long stretches if 1 team winning it all)

In a poor attempt to paraphrase, I want to say I remember an interview one time with Brands that said he prefered to get kids in that didn't have 4 state titles, that they tend to be hungrier and want to earn that NC...that being said, I also think that this was before the arms-race that the other school set off by going after all top 10 kids in each weight class...it will be curious to see how this shakes out in the long run, something is bound to make this all balance back out (i.e. these long stretches if 1 team winning it all)
It is always best to start out on 3rd base.

Its ok to start out at 1st or 2nd base, if you can develop better than anyone else. We haven't done that.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest

Its ok to start out at 1st or 2nd base, if you can develop better than anyone else. We haven't done that.
I don't disagree, training and styles have change quite a bit in the past decade, it seems that the grind-out, win 3-2, 1-0 seems to be happening less in big matches...

Just my opinion, but I think the notion of "developing" someone into an NCAA champ is, or even a high level AA, for the most part, a thing of the past. Although someone like Drew Foster this year belies that point. He is the very definition of a "developed" NCAA champ IMO.

But in the main, the champs and very high finishers are true blue chippers coming into college these days. I just think that the whole wrestling scene for young wrestlers is MUCH more developed these days with excellent camps, multiple regional and nationwide tourneys and most importantly IMO...great coaching and better club competition than it was back in the day.

Therefore, there are just fewer opportunities for a true "diamond in the rough" to emerge, since the overall level of wrestling is much better nowadays. All of that to say this...I don't think a program will ever again win an NCAA title with "developmental" guys...they will need at least 5, possibly more, real top end guys and then 3 or 4 of the remaining guys to be pretty dang solid too...as in mid level AA solid.

There may be room on a roster for say one guy to be a "buildup", but we had 1 champ, 6 total AA's and still missed the title by 70 points or something crazy. IMO, you are never going to win an NCAA title until you have 5 or so super studs and 3 or 4 more pretty dang good studs...and you will never get to that place with developmental guys...even though they are great stories.

Just my opinion, but I think the notion of "developing" someone into an NCAA champ is, or even a high level AA, for the most part, a thing of the past. Although someone like Drew Foster this year belies that point. He is the very definition of a "developed" NCAA champ IMO.

But in the main, the champs and very high finishers are true blue chippers coming into college these days. I just think that the whole wrestling scene for young wrestlers is MUCH more developed these days with excellent camps, multiple regional and nationwide tourneys and most importantly IMO...great coaching and better club competition than it was back in the day.

Therefore, there are just fewer opportunities for a true "diamond in the rough" to emerge, since the overall level of wrestling is much better nowadays. All of that to say this...I don't think a program will ever again win an NCAA title with "developmental" guys...they will need at least 5, possibly more, real top end guys and then 3 or 4 of the remaining guys to be pretty dang solid too...as in mid level AA solid.

There may be room on a roster for say one guy to be a "buildup", but we had 1 champ, 6 total AA's and still missed the title by 70 points or something crazy. IMO, you are never going to win an NCAA title until you have 5 or so super studs and 3 or 4 more pretty dang good studs...and you will never get to that place with developmental guys...even though they are great stories.
I agree with your premise for sure, but it's been this way for my lifetime anyway (with the possible exception of Minnesota's 10 AA team). For every Jesse Whitmer and Travis Fiser you have, you need 3 Mark Ironsides or Eric Juergens. Gable had that, John Smith, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT