ADVERTISEMENT

Homemade ice cream recipe

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
You gotta go with the custard recipe, amiright. We are making the base for some ice cream sammies. I saw that there is just a milk & cream w/o the eggs, but if you are going to go to the trouble of making it at home you need to go big

Sara-Ann-Ice-Cream-Mix-Vanilla-AE.jpg

Super easy but really solid. I do miss the really good stuff my parents made when I was a kid though

Last edited:
You gotta go with the custard recipe, amiright. We are making the base for some ice cream sammies. I saw that there is just a milk & cream w/o the eggs, but if you are going to go to the trouble of making it at home you need to go big

Yup

Egg yolks (like 6 of 'em) make the smoothest custard.

If you don't want to deal with all the eggs, you can add a smidge of guar gum (literally 1/8 tsp or less) really helps keep it from freezing too hard after you make it. Not as good as the eggs custard, but probably healthier.

Do you have an "outside" freezer/mixer you add the salt and ice to? Or one of the countertop ones you freeze the bowl in the freezer?

Are you using an old school churn? Some of my all time best memories are of cranking the ice cream churn.

I used to have an old hand-crank one until the mechanism broke.
Got an electric White Mountain or something one.

Also have the mini Cuisinart one you freeze the bowl, but want to get a kitchenaid attachment to make in the mixer and eliminate an appliance...

Used to make it out of Guernsey cream when I was a kid - the rich, fatty film coated the roof of your mouth. WAY unhealthy, but SO good.

Reactions: billanole and seam
Used this for 1.5Gal freezer; peppermint ice cream recipe I made last winter and was like gelato. Can skip the mint and just make vanilla or whatever:

Peppermint candy ice cream
  • 3c half&half
  • 1-1/2c sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 2c heavy cream; 2-4c half&half or whole milk to fill freezer
  • 1c peppermint candies, crushed; 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
For a vanilla ice cream recipe, replace the peppermint candies with:
  • 4-5 Tbsp vanilla extract or 2T and 1-2 vanilla beans
I also put in a couple Tbsp of vanilla extract in with the peppermint recipe

Directions
1.In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half cream to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.

2.Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

3.Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the peppermint candy. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm.

NOTE: IF you don't have a thermometer, just heat the mixture w/ the eggs really slowly, low heat until you get it thick enough to coat the spoon. You don't want to cook the eggs out, and if you get it right, it's very gelato-like in how rich it turns out.

Yup

Egg yolks (like 6 of 'em) make the smoothest custard.

If you don't want to deal with all the eggs, you can add a smidge of guar gum (literally 1/8 tsp or less) really helps keep it from freezing too hard after you make it. Not as good as the eggs custard, but probably healthier.

Do you have an "outside" freezer/mixer you add the salt and ice to? Or one of the countertop ones you freeze the bowl in the freezer?

Kitchenade attachment For the mixer.

Are you using an old school churn? Some of my all time best memories are of cranking the ice cream churn.

You can get WAY thicker ice cream w/ the hand crank ones than the electric motors, which are vastly underpowered.

Hands down the best ice cream I’ve ever had was homemade marscapone ice cream. Which was a custard base but with some added marscapone.

The peppermint recipe sounds good. We are making vanilla with a real strong Madagascar vanilla bean and cinnamon ice cream. The vanilla is for the toll house chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon for the ginger snap cookies

The peppermint recipe sounds good.

That one was my first try with a "loads of egg yolks" recipe. Liked it so much, I used it for vanilla and other flavors. Just crushes most of a carton of eggs. I save the whites to make breakfast omelets or sandwiches later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT