ADVERTISEMENT

HONEST QUESTION: Will Iowa get a serviceable 5 in the transfer portal?

BlameIt

Team MVP
Aug 23, 2009
Personally, I doubt it.

Josh Ogundele certainly isn't "it". He's a Hawk, so I love him. However, he will never be what we need him to be. 20-25 minutes, 8-10 ppg, 6-8 rpg, 2 bpg.

Mulvey reminds of a very poor man's version of Les Jepsen. Rebraca is undersized.

Iowa needs a 5.
But we are not gonna be a Pay for Play school. That's what NIL has become.

Personally, I doubt it.

Josh Ogundele certainly isn't "it". He's a Hawk, so I love him. However, he will never be what we need him to be. 20-25 minutes, 8-10 ppg, 6-8 rpg, 2 bpg.

Mulvey reminds of a very poor man's version of Les Jepsen. Rebraca is undersized.

Iowa needs a 5.

Josh would get there if he was conditioned to play 20+ minutes per game

I think they/Iowa will get someone.....not 100% confident. What we know for certain is that Fran is very very smart about who he goes after and how they would fit the team. He doesn't play dirty, which is the right thing to do while clearly making recruiting in the portal more complex and difficult.

Most of us fans are clueless about what the challenges are and what it takes to land one of the top guys......so some just assume the negative.

I assume no true 5 and play small and fast with Rebraca starting and Josh O and Mulvey coming off bench 6-7min a game each. With Kris (likely) coming back and P mac, we will have length so we won’t be completely undersized. That’s 3 starters that are 6’8-6’9

I think we will probably get someone ... the only question is whether the player we land will be sexy enough to keep fans happy.

I think an important thing to remember is that we won 26 games and the BTT last year with Felip Rebraca as our center. (And lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament). I think we can all agree that we have room for improvement in the post, but it's not like it was a terrible gaping hole. Honestly, I think the biggest reason to add a post player from the portal is to ensure that Kris Murray doesn't have to play the 5.

I think they/Iowa will get someone.....not 100% confident. What we know for certain is that Fran is very very smart about who he goes after and how they would fit the team. He doesn't play dirty, which is the right thing to do while clearly making recruiting in the portal more complex and difficult.

Most of us fans are clueless about what the challenges are and what it takes to land one of the top guys......so some just assume the negative.
You could have just stopped at clueless. We not only don't understand the challenges but we do not know what is going on with any of the participants until some kind of finalizing announcement is made. Yet we make assumptions about nothing happening because we don't have any information, many assume the worst and immediately go negative. There is a lot of time and a lot of players left in the portal. Will Fran get a big? Probably, but the criticism of his efforts thus far have been unwarranted. Once it is all over for the year, then fans will have a right to judge outcomes, but never efforts, because they will just not have the information to do so. As another poster pointed out, things turned out pretty well last year with the portal addition Fran made.

Personally, I doubt it.

Iowa needs a 5.
You're right on about Ogundele, but Mulvey is not a poor man's version of Les Jepsen by any means. He's a he!! of a lot more coordinated and has more skills then Jepsen had even during his first 3 years. I believe we'll see a very improved Riley this coming season. The kid can ball, just wasn't given the playing time because of Iowa's crowded front line and because of his age.
As far as Iowa getting anyone from the portal, I think Iowa will be just fine without adding anyone from the portal, there's 1500 or so players in the portal and Fran is not going to add anyone that will take away playing time from players already on the roster. Fran won't do that.
Iowa has 6-4 Kingsbury and Laketa to fill any minutes if needed.
If Kris does leave unexpectedly, that's a whole different ballgame, and even if Kris did leave there is no one in the portal that would come close to being the player that Kris is, there just isn't, so that's not on Fran. Iowa would just have to bite the bullet and hope that the 2 players coming into the program can provide quality court time, and the improvement of players already in the program can somehow offset the loss of the Murray brothers. A tall task for sure, but Iowa has had it's up and downs during Fran's 12 years at Iowa and it will happen again even though us fans would not like to go through another season like 2017/18

Define "serviceable". Will Fran get what everyone wants which is a difference maker inside and an upgrade over Rebraca? That's probably a 50/50 proposition at best at this point. More likely the Hawks get someone that will consume some minutes and provide some needed depth, but not a player that is really going to move the needle on the team's performance next year. I think there are a lot of players out there that fit this description. It's also possible that Josh or Mulvey improve significantly over the off season and whatever new player is brought in becomes an afterthought when all is said and done. I still think Josh brings more upside than most people on here.

Where is Keita from Mizzou? We offered him out of high school too
I wonder about this as well......I think he is a heck of an athlete....could hopefully rebound, play good post defense, and be an opportunistic scorer. What I read about him was that he is coming off of a knee injury AND I think he would sit out a year? All that said, I also read the Courtney Eldridge is following him on twitter.

So, this post of mine probably just confuses things further.

You're right on about Ogundele, but Mulvey is not a poor man's version of Les Jepsen by any means. He's a he!! of a lot more coordinated and has more skills then Jepsen had even during his first 3 years. I believe we'll see a very improved Riley this coming season. The kid can ball, just wasn't given the playing time because of Iowa's crowded front line and because of his age.
As far as Iowa getting anyone from the portal, I think Iowa will be just fine without adding anyone from the portal, there's 1500 or so players in the portal and Fran is not going to add anyone that will take away playing time from players already on the roster. Fran won't do that.
Iowa has 6-4 Kingsbury and Laketa to fill any minutes if needed.
If Kris does leave unexpectedly, that's a whole different ballgame, and even if Kris did leave there is no one in the portal that would come close to being the player that Kris is, there just isn't, so that's not on Fran. Iowa would just have to bite the bullet and hope that the 2 players coming into the program can provide quality court time, and the improvement of players already in the program can somehow offset the loss of the Murray brothers. A tall task for sure, but Iowa has had it's up and downs during Fran's 12 years at Iowa and it will happen again even though us fans would not like to go through another season like 2017/18
I'd agree. I wouldn't sell Mulvey short either. I think by some point next season he'll be serviceable if he see's 10-12 minutes/game. The next year I think he'll be a solid player. As you said he's got skills, runs fairly well, and plays defense. He just wasn't mature enough last season to compete in the BIg against Kofi, Dickenson, and the two headed monster from Purdue.....

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Not ragging on the guy, but yes, if anyone thought he was a serviceable player, he likely wouldn't have returned to IC.

He was obviously recruited for potential... just never developed.
I think the jury is still out on Josh, he can potentially play three more seasons and I think his weight gain during the pandemic lockdown really hampered his overall development and conditioning, so he's behind where he expected to be at this point in time. I'm pulling for the dude, I really like his attitude and personality.

Define "serviceable". Will Fran get what everyone wants which is a difference maker inside and an upgrade over Rebraca? That's probably a 50/50 proposition at best at this point. More likely the Hawks get someone that will consume some minutes and provide some needed depth, but not a player that is really going to move the needle on the team's performance next year. I think there are a lot of players out there that fit this description. It's also possible that Josh or Mulvey improve significantly over the off season and whatever new player is brought in becomes an afterthought when all is said and done. I still think Josh brings more upside than most people on here.
I think you are correct that it’s quite possible we end up with a post player who doesn’t not, himself, move the needle. That said, I believe that having Kris Murray spend all his minutes at the 4 or the 3 is something that does indeed move the needle. A Kris Murray who is a full-time forward is better than a Kris Murray who is called upon to spend 10-15 minutes a game in the post. So in other words, grabbing a guy who can provide serviceable minutes backing up Rebraca can provide a serious boost to the team, even if indirectly.

This is all assuming Kris comes back, of course, which is certainly not a guarantee.

I think you are correct that it’s quite possible we end up with a post player who doesn’t not, himself, move the needle. That said, I believe that having Kris Murray spend all his minutes at the 4 or the 3 is something that does indeed move the needle. A Kris Murray who is a full-time forward is better than a Kris Murray who is called upon to spend 10-15 minutes a game in the post. So in other words, grabbing a guy who can provide serviceable minutes backing up Rebraca can provide a serious boost to the team, even if indirectly.

This is all assuming Kris comes back, of course, which is certainly not a guarantee.
Kris won't play the 3.

Getting Connor back is all that was needed, huge recruiting/transfer portal win for the program
can-tell-if-were-joking-or-not-david-rose.gif

.What is your supporting evidence that Fran is smart, not to mention very, very smart. Bakari Evelyn and Rebraca? I get being a Fran supporter, but you have lost all objectivity in my opinion on all things Fran. It's almost impossible to be as unsuccessful as Fran has been in the portal, which is why I question how hard he is trying. Creighton, not Duke, KU, UK, UNC, or Gonzaga got the Scheireman kid from South Dakota State. Creighton was a pre-season #9 before they landed him. I get it, pre-season rankings are what they are, but it's still Creighton and yes I know he is not a 5.

If Fran gets someone and I think it's a big "IF", it will be another Rebraca type player with likely few P5 options. You can spin it into Fran is super duper savvy and sophisticated and is focusing on team chemistry and doesn't cheat---you are certainly entitled to your POV. I just don't think it's as hard as Fran makes it. Fran has had enough high caliber character kids transfer out to debunk the myth that transfers are malcontents. There is only upside to bringing in portal talent. If they aren't better than the incumbent, they won't start or get a lot of PT. If they are, then Fran has earned his money by upgrading the team.

For the record, who in here has asked Fran to land a "top guy"? I haven't seen one post complaining that we didn't get Nijel Pack or whoever the highly sought after guys are in this year's portal. Fran should be able to present a compelling case to a kid from a mid major or dumpster fire P5 program. I also don't think a 5 is a necessity. Fran needs to get the best player he can at any position, as the hole Keegan is leaving is larger than the one Garza left.

.What is your supporting evidence that Fran is smart, not to mention very, very smart. Bakari Evelyn and Rebraca? I get being a Fran supporter, but you have lost all objectivity in my opinion on all things Fran. It's almost impossible to be as unsuccessful as Fran has been in the portal, which is why I question how hard he is trying. Creighton, not Duke, KU, UK, UNC, or Gonzaga got the Scheireman kid from South Dakota State. Creighton was a pre-season #9 before they landed him. I get it, pre-season rankings are what they are, but it's still Creighton and yes I know he is not a 5.

If Fran gets someone and I think it's a big "IF", it will be another Rebraca type player with likely few P5 options. You can spin it into Fran is super duper savvy and sophisticated and is focusing on team chemistry and doesn't cheat---you are certainly entitled to your POV. I just don't think it's as hard as Fran makes it. Fran has had enough high caliber character kids transfer out to debunk the myth that transfers are malcontents. There is only upside to bringing in portal talent. If they aren't better than the incumbent, they won't start or get a lot of PT. If they are, then Fran has earned his money by upgrading the team.

For the record, who in here has asked Fran to land a "top guy"? I haven't seen one post complaining that we didn't get Nijel Pack or whoever the highly sought after guys are in this year's portal. Fran should be able to present a compelling case to a kid from a mid major or dumpster fire P5 program. I also don't think a 5 is a necessity. Fran needs to get the best player he can at any position, as the hole Keegan is leaving is larger than the one Garza left.
If we get a player like Rebraca out of the portal, I'll be ecstatic. He played well last year and improved as the season went along. He's going to be very solid this season.

Last edited:
I'm actually comfortable with Josh, Mulvey, and Rebacca handling the 5. Watching Josh in high school, he never was in shape. I don't expect him to give many minutes, but he does fine for as long as he goes. Mulvey looks good to me. He just needs more experience with the speed of Big 10 ball. His strength and that experience should just get better as the year progresses. I like Philip, and the small ball unit. It'll work well against most teams we have to play, and unless he gets way better at shooting three's, the five is where he is going to be most effective, and comfortable. I'd love to see Fran hook an athletic shot blocking big, but I think he'll be comfortable with what he has.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk

If we get a player like Rebraca out of the portal, I'll be ecstatic. He played well last year and improved as the season went along. He's going to be very should this season.
Longlive his post.....:)......I'd be OK with another Rebraca....I mean, I don't know 26 wins and 10 losses and a Big Ten Tourny Championship vs Creighton's 23-12 season and alleged portal supremacy in this thread, is a clear winner for me......

Agree with Perry in this thread and I said this in the lounge....regarding Riley and Josh....like many 3 star B1G Center talent, they need learning curve rope and solid PT. I think they will make solid contributions this year but make no mistake....they are on their college BB journy.

Think Liam Robbins, he was a mystery out of Davenport Assumption to Drake and played about 11 minutes, 4 pts per game his freshman season but really grew from there once he got more PT his soph year, 27 minutes, 14 pts per game at Drake. From Drake to Minny and still at Vandy I believe....

And I am also confident Fran will get another talented big as well. All good........in my opinion.

The evidence that he’s a smart guy and a good coach is blatantly obvious….it’s been pointed out repeatedly in multiple threads. I think the fact that he’s had the success he’s had (just look at this last season) is clear evidence that he knows what he’s doing. That’s not an opinion…his team won 26 games and the BTT….those are facts.

If you believe someone can accomplish those things against B10 competition and schools the likes of Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue that have far greater basketball resources, that someone who’s not very very smart can do that…I suggest looking inward for the answer to how you could reach your opinion.

As for the specifics of how Fran constructed that highly successful team it’s not through highly ranked high school players resulting in nationally ranked recruiting classes…and it’s not the Hoiberg or the Crean method…the portal, BUT he did it through careful selection of players, development, and culture and he did it the right way in a world full of cheaters.

The evidence that he’s a smart guy and a good coach is blatantly obvious….it’s been pointed out repeatedly in multiple threads. I think the fact that he’s had the success he’s had (just look at this last season) is clear evidence that he knows what he’s doing. That’s not an opinion…his team won 26 games and the BTT….those are facts.

If you believe someone can accomplish those things against B10 competition and schools the likes of Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue that have far greater basketball resources, that someone who’s not very very smart can do that…I suggest looking inward for the answer to how you could reach your opinion.

As for the specifics of how Fran constructed that highly successful team it’s not through highly ranked high school players resulting in nationally ranked recruiting classes…and it’s not the Hoiberg or the Crean method…the portal, BUT he did it through careful selection of players, development, and culture and he did it the right way in a world full of cheaters.

BRAVO!

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT