ADVERTISEMENT

HONEST QUESTION: Will Iowa get a serviceable 5 in the transfer portal?

Define "serviceable". If you're seeking a guy who can start immediately and get you 13 and 8 per night then probably not.

Last edited:
Interesting... apparently Fran isn't only going after centers. Doubt we get this guy but the fact that we're top 4 is encouraging.
Iowa recruited Brooks hard in high school and he took an official visit here and loved it. I remember thinking at the time Iowa was the favorite to land him until the Blue Bloods came calling. Would be a huge get. Bring in talent and worry about lineup and minutes later IMO.

There maybe a stealth recruiting strategy going on, but I highly doubt it. And it leads to the conclusion that Fran is Division 1's worst recruiter if one assumes Iowa has been active in the portal this whole time.
Based on knowledge that only you are privy to at this point? You have no idea what you are talking about. It is possible that you are correct, Fran is connected to no one. It is much more likely that you are not.

Reactions: perryhawk
Based on knowledge that only you are privy to at this point? You have no idea what you are talking about. It is possible that you are correct, Fran is connected to no one. It is much more likely that you are not.

I said Iowa is done recruiting centers not that Iowa is connected to no one

• Haha
Those don't contradict. Iowa has been connected to players. But when Ogundele came back AND THE COUPLE POST GUYS THEY WERE CONNECTED TO went elsewhere, Iowa changed course away from the portal.
That's exactly what you said, dumbass. And Iowa is still being connected to new players.

What is your native language, anyway?
😉

We may not get Brooks, but anyone saying Fran is not working the portal is a fool.
Yes, there's enough public information to see that there is at least some effort on the staff's part to target players in the portal.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to results. Who ends up on the final roster is what matters. That's entirely Fran's responsibility, just like it is for every other head coach.

Yes, there's enough public information to see that there is at least some effort on the staff's part to target players in the portal.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to results. Who ends up on the final roster is what matters. That's entirely Fran's responsibility, just like it is for every other head coach.
Yes the buck stops with Fran, for sure.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
You will need to ask Fran. You just don’t get it. The Einstein comment comes into play here. There may be five, there may be zero. You nor I know. But please carry on.

Fran: "We're always looking, but we're sort of focusing on the next class"

It appears most tranfers are looking at other schools that recurited them hard as a possible destination

They aren't exactly going to meccas.
I have been to games in 10 of the 14 Big Ten arenas.

A few years ago, I went to the Illinois at Grand Canyon game.

There is no Big Ten arena that remotely compares to the atmosphere of a Grand Canyon game. Not close. Their students arrive an hour and a half before the game and do organized cheers and activities for the whole time. During the game, you can’t hear yourself. It’s crazy.

Google the their game atmosphere videos to get an idea. They may not be a powerhouse program but they would be fun to play for.

• Wow

There is no Big Ten arena that remotely compares to the atmosphere of a Grand Canyon game. Not close. Their students arrive an hour and a half before the game and do organized cheers and activities for the whole time. During the game, you can’t hear yourself. It’s crazy.

Google the their game atmosphere videos to get an idea. They may not be a powerhouse program but they would be fun to play for.
This went on for an hour before Illinois even came out to warm up.

Lots of talent going there, right? Spectacular school!

🤣

Man, that as a student would be great. I went to the Iowa, Iowa State football game, and found the atmosphere in Ames great. Good music that caters to the student's taste, a good dj, and a kick but sound system go a long way to attracting students to the games.

I didn’t read thru every post on this thread, so apologies if I’m repeating what someone else has already said. If Patrick and Kris have the kind of breakout years expected of them, and with Perkins and Sanfort in the mix, I don’t know if we need a superstar type of Center. I think Rebraca and our other two guys will do well. To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them took his game to unexpected new heights. Go Hawks!

If Kris elects not to return, IMO this has the potential to be one of Fran‘s poorest teams. I am assuming we will get no help from the portal.

If Kris elects not to return, IMO this has the potential to be one of Fran‘s poorest teams. I am assuming we will get no help from the portal.
If Kris doesn't return that certainly hurts.....but I don't think it will be one of Fran's poorest teams. Depth on the forward spot is a problem in that situation....will need Mulvey and Josh and Rebraca to all take their games up a couple of notches.

Reactions: Suterman
It's a lot like how people viewed Iowa's team last year. Although we all knew that he'd be good, NO ONE expected Keegan Murray to be a consensus All American. Losing Kris, too, would hurt, but Iowa has some pretty good players coming back and new kids coming in. I wouldn't put them down before we see them play together. They will have the ability to defend and score. It's how well the gel as a team, especially on defense, that will determine how far they can go.

Last edited:
Reactions: SB_SB
It's a lot like how people viewed Iowateam last year. Although we all knew that he'd be good, NO ONE expected Keegan Murray to be a consensus All American. Losing Kris, too, would hurt, but Iowa has some pretty good players coming back and new kids coming in. I wouldn't put them down before we see them play together. They will have the ability to defend and score. It's how well the gel as a team, especially on defense, that will determine how far they can go.

Agree. I've definitely learned to take a wait and see attitude before getting down on the team. Even if Kris leaves, it opens the door for someone else to step up. I like all of our players and I look forward to next year no matter who's on the court. I'd love to see one of our centers step up, I'd love to see someone like Kingsbury provide some help. I can't wait for next year, and I'm still hoping Kris will be back.

Agree. I've definitely learned to take a wait and see attitude before getting down on the team. Even if Kris leaves, it opens the door for someone else to step up. I like all of our players and I look forward to next year no matter who's on the court. I'd love to see one of our centers step up, I'd love to see someone like Kingsbury provide some help. I can't wait for next year, and I'm still hoping Kris will be back.
I think that Payton will step into any scoring void at small forward for Iowa. If there is an issue next year, it'll be at interior defense and rebounding. If the guards step up and start rebounding (and I can see this happening with Ahron and Tony in the back court), that will help rebounding a ton. If one or both of the young bigs can take a big step forward, that will help with interior defense. They have the potential. The just need to put in the work.

Reactions: SB_SB
If Kris doesn't return that certainly hurts.....but I don't think it will be one of Fran's poorest teams. Depth on the forward spot is a problem in that situation....will need Mulvey and Josh and Rebraca to all take their games up a couple of notches.
It may not be one of his poorest since he’s been at Iowa, but it probably won’t be in his Top 10 either.

ADVERTISEMENT