ADVERTISEMENT

Hotel guests swimming in hotel pool while black... police called

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Police were called before hotel worker asked if they were staying there. And, before you say it can happen to anyone, this removes all doubt that it was based on race:

"It was two white people sitting over there and she said nothing to them," Williams-Wright said in the video. "She said to me, 'Oh, because it’s always people like you using the pool unauthorized.' Who is 'people like me'?"

If I were the black lady, I wouldn't have given any information either after showing the police my room card. This happens way more than some of you want to believe and I imagine it gets exhausting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ed-calling-cops-black-family-pool/3281804001/

Here is a thought, just offhand. If you see a situation and no one is going to get hurt or die, and no property is going to be stolen or damaged based off the worst possible assumption one could have. . . Maybe just don't call the cops unless you are 100% sure.

Like seriously. . . say they are not guests and they just wandered in to use the pool. What's the worst thing that is going to happen? A bunch of people who didn't pay for a room are using the pool. Yes that's wrong of them but the damage is pretty minor.

But if you do call the cops and nothing was amiss you end up looking a racist and getting fired.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Police were called before hotel worker asked if they were staying there. And, before you say it can happen to anyone, this removes all doubt that it was based on race:

"It was two white people sitting over there and she said nothing to them," Williams-Wright said in the video. "She said to me, 'Oh, because it’s always people like you using the pool unauthorized.' Who is 'people like me'?"

If I were the black lady, I wouldn't have given any information either after showing the police my room card. This happens way more than some of you want to believe and I imagine it gets exhausting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ed-calling-cops-black-family-pool/3281804001/

IDK that I wouldn't give ID. I mean she doesn't have to but at the same time it feels like you are just trying to make things harder on the police. But why do that in this instance? They are just doing their jobs. The problem is with the employee.

But then again I will admit that I generally speaking don't have people doing this kind of stuff to me. So it's a bit different experience.

Maybe just tell everyone at the pool you periodically check room keys and check everyone's key.

Probably don't have the time to actually carry that out. Plus it would likely upset everyone when it was carried out, no matter how many signs you have to that effect.

I think the best you can do without upsetting people is just require a room key to get in and out of the pool area. Obviously there are ways to beat that though.

Did we time travel back to 1964?

Motel%2Bmanager%2Bpouring%2Bacid%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bwater%2Bwhen%2Bblack%2Bpeople%2Bswam%2Bin%2Bhis%2Bpool%252C%2B1964.jpg

Reactions: BelemNole
Compelling evidence to support the theory that White Privilege is all a myth.

There must not be a lot for police officers to do out there. The "swimming while black" class A felony usually doesn't generate that thorough of an investigation.

Reactions: hawkbirch

like the racist Clinton supporter in central park, I wonder if this employee was a democrat?

Compelling evidence to support the theory that White Privilege is all a myth.

There must not be a lot for police officers to do out there. The "swimming while black" class A felony usually doesn't generate that thorough of an investigation.
Kind of an argument in support of defending certain police functions. How is this an incident that warrants cruisers and officers with guns showing up?

Reactions: Pinehawk
IDK that I wouldn't give ID. I mean she doesn't have to but at the same time it feels like you are just trying to make things harder on the police. But why do that in this instance? They are just doing their jobs.
Their job includes knowing the law. She is absolutely not required to provide any ID unless they reasonably suspect a crime has been committed. She showed them her room card. She offered to demonstrate it was functional. Story over. "Sorry to bother you" Time to go. Instead, they ran her plate. smh

The one caveat I'll add to this story, which by no means exonerates the employee's behavior, is that the woman left her two under-aged children to play in the pool while she sat in her car to charge her phone/call her mom, albeit with a clear line of sight to the pool so she could see her kids.. It's not clear why she just had to call her mom at that moment, or couldn't use an outlet to charge her phone in the pool area, etc. So, I ding the mom for leaving her kids alone, but also the hotel for not handling this better.

If they'd had recent issues with non-guests using their facilities, i could understand checking status of people on the property. Why they couldn't have asked to see her room key and verify it was current, i don't understand at all.

Here is a thought, just offhand. If you see a situation and no one is going to get hurt or die, and no property is going to be stolen or damaged based off the worst possible assumption one could have. . . Maybe just don't call the cops unless you are 100% sure.

Like seriously. . . say they are not guests and they just wandered in to use the pool. What's the worst thing that is going to happen? A bunch of people who didn't pay for a room are using the pool. Yes that's wrong of them but the damage is pretty minor.

But if you do call the cops and nothing was amiss you end up looking a racist and getting fired.
I don’t know the laws behind these types of things, but what would be the repercussions if someone who hadn’t signed the docs when checking in, but then injured themselves while using the facilities?

The one caveat I'll add to this story, which by no means exonerates the employee's behavior, is that the woman left her two under-aged children to play in the pool while she sat in her car to charge her phone/call her mom, albeit with a clear line of sight to the pool so she could see her kids.. It's not clear why she just had to call her mom at that moment, or couldn't use an outlet to charge her phone in the pool area, etc.

Hotels don't generally put "outlets" in the pool areas for guest access.

Kinda that "liability" issue, y'know.

Kind of an argument in support of defending certain police functions. How is this an incident that warrants cruisers and officers with guns showing up?

It's amazing two police officers were deemed expendable enough to respond to that call.

I don’t know the laws behind these types of things, but what would be the repercussions if someone who hadn’t signed the docs when checking in, but then injured themselves while using the facilities?

I'd imagine circumstances would have a lot to do with liability in that case. Kid slips and falls running by the pool, that's on the family. Chair breaks while someone is sitting in it and gets injured, probably some liability for the hotel.

Generally speaking my understanding is that you can not successfully sue when your injury comes while doing something illegal. If the signs say the pool is for guests only, then if you are not a guest you are trespassing. Which means if you get hurt while doing it, there isn't any legal recourse against the property owner.

Hotels don't generally put "outlets" in the pool areas for guest access.

Kinda that "liability" issue, y'know.

Depends on the size of the pool area, I've been at some hotels that had a charging station or outlet, but well removed from the pool area. Failing that, the lobby will typically have places to charge one's phone.

It's amazing two police officers were deemed expendable enough to respond to that call.

People will often ignore others that but won't ignore a cop. The TSA started dressing their agents that check your luggage up like cops so people would treat them with more respect and follow directions. And it worked.

Depends on the size of the pool area, I've been at some hotels that had a charging station or outlet, but well removed from the pool area. Failing that, the lobby will typically have places to charge one's phone.

This didn't sound like the luxury-type hotel that'd have an expansive pool area....

This didn't sound like the luxury-type hotel that'd have an expansive pool area....

Probably not, just saying there are usually some sort of options. I do consider it irresponsible to leave her kids unsupervised in the pool area while she was in her car talking to her mom. Unless it was some sort of emergency, in which case she should have pulled her kids away from the pool until she was off the phone.

People will often ignore others that but won't ignore a cop. The TSA started dressing their agents that check your luggage up like cops so people would treat them with more respect and follow directions. And it worked.

I agree.

But what does that have to do with my post?

Generally speaking my understanding is that you can not successfully sue when your injury comes while doing something illegal. If the signs say the pool is for guests only, then if you are not a guest you are trespassing. Which means if you get hurt while doing it, there isn't any legal recourse against the property owner.
I guess I was more or less commenting on why you would make a point to get them out of the pool. Liability. Also, keeping the facilities away from paying customers.

I guess I was more or less commenting on why you would make a point to get them out of the pool. Liability. Also, keeping the facilities away from paying customers.

It's more the second, keeping for paying customers. It would make more sense than to start asking questions if there was customers who wanted to use the pool but didn't feel like there was enough room.

In defense of the hotel worker, have they had a distinctly disproportionate amount of black folk using the pool unauthorized?

Not that this handling was correct...

Perhaps.

But I have been in a lot of hotels/motels and have never once been asked to provide proof that I was a guest when using the pool/hot tub. It's possible I attract a lot of female attention when I'm shirtless, which is good for business, I don't know, but I've never once been questioned. Other than female gravitation toward the pool area, I can't think of any other privileged status I enjoy as to why I have never in my 38 years had to comply with showing proof of my guest status, as this is apparently something routine that many hotel/motel guests experience? Hmmm. Wonders never cease.

Of course, when the lady in the video provided a key card, that should have been the end of the matter, right?

What about this whole incident is confusing?

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
I agree.

But what does that have to do with my post?

I think that's why these types of calls have to end up going to police. And I don't think the police could realistically simply refuse to come even if they are individually rolling their eyes when they hear the call.

Perhaps.

But I have been in a lot of hotels/motels and have never once been asked to provide proof that I was a guest when using the pool/hot tub. It's possible I attract a lot of female attention when I'm shirtless, which is good for business, I don't know, but I've never once been questioned. Other than female gravitation toward the pool area, I can't think of any other privileged status I enjoy as to why I have never in my 38 years had to comply with showing proof of my guest status, as this is apparently something routine that many hotel/motel guests experience? Hmmm. Wonders never cease.

Of course, when the lady in the video provided a key card, that should have been the end of the matter, right?

Nothing at all. Hoosier was oversimplifying the situation and was wondering why someone would be concerned in the first place. 2 valid reasons were brought forth. What’s confusing you?

I think that's why these types of calls have to end up going to police. And I don't think the police could realistically simply refuse to come even if they are individually rolling their eyes when they hear the call.

As long as she showed her key card, that should have been the end of it. Maybe an additional step to verify the key card is current/active, but zero reason to call the police unless the woman wasn't cooperating.

Perhaps.

That's the thing, these are things that almost never happen to white people.

The only thing I've ever had happen in my life that comes close is I went to Wal-mart in our van with the kids in the car and my wife was sitting in back which was something we did because it made it easier to tend to and entertain small children. Our van has tinted windows.

After I went in some lady saw me and had her kid look in the window of the car for kids/adults. The kid looked at our mid row saw 2 of our kids but didn't look in back were my wife was, told him mom there was no adults in the car but there was kids and instead of looking for herself she rushed into Wal-mart to tell them this and they called police. My wife (who tends to get anxious) noticed the whole thing asked me to hurry up and check out. I came out and then she had me go in and tell the Wal-Mart people that we think someone said that there was no one in the car but there was. I did this and a wal-mart lady came out and I opened the door so she could see that my wife was in the back of the car. The police cruiser pulled up right after this and the Wal-mart lady told him what happened and he drove away.

And for my wife. . . she started insisting when we parked and I went in someplace and left them in the car that she move to the front so people could see her easier.

Yeah....they're not gonna have any outlets where the "use area" is ~10ft from the water.

It absolutely astounds me how difficult people make certain issues to be. It's as if everything in the world is full of ambiguity and nothing can ever be discerned intelligibly.

Just as there are crystal clear incidents in which people capriciously and ridiculously play the "race card," there are also incidents in which no other conclusion can be arrived at beyond a reasonable inference as to no other possible differentiating factor existing for a difference in treatment than melanin.

Life is full of nuance. But when we look for it in everything on the basis of we don't like how the conclusion makes us feel then nuance becomes lost and everything we experience in life is meaningless and tangential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT