ADVERTISEMENT

Hotel Rooms In Iowa City

Nov 20, 2019
Did a quick check for hotel rooms in Iowa city for 2/13/23 just to get an idea of prices and availability.
Say one was going to come to a wrestling match are rooms usually available and are prices reasonable? To me I like to keep a room under $250 a night if possible .
You need to save your money for booze obviously.

Btw I saw the graduate at Iowa city for just over $100 a night Michigan weekend. I’ve stayed at the graduate Annapolis and thought it was a nice hotel . I’m not sure if it’s the same chain though.

Reactions: NLhawk62
Did a quick check for hotel rooms in Iowa city for 2/13/23 just to get an idea of prices and availability.
Say one was going to come to a wrestling match are rooms usually available and are prices reasonable? To me I like to keep a room under $250 a night if possible .
You need to save your money for booze obviously.
Check and see if there are any other big events going on in town that weekend. If there aren’t, then you could probably stay anywhere with that budget.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Check and see if there are any other big events going on in town that weekend. If there aren’t, then you could probably stay anywhere with that budget.
I’d love to visit Iowa again , I’m turning sixty this year and it’s been 35 years for me.
I did promise my wife Nashville soon, so that takes priority. But I have to get out there again.
I can use a road trip.

The graduate would be best if you want to be near downtown and all the restaurants and shops in the ped mall. They have several hotels down there so you really can't go wrong in terms of location. There is also the Hyatt in the Iowa River Landing in Coralville which also is close to shops and restaurants in walking distance. Both are an easy uber away from Carver. They also just opened a Courtyard Marriot across the street from Kinnick. That would make it about a ten minute walk to Carver.

I've stayed at the Graduate several times the past few years. Rooms are fairly standard. Bathrooms are a bit dated and on the smaller side. Hotel has been around for awhile under different brands. Fitness center is by far the best I've ever seen in a hotel. They also have an indoor golf simulator. And like Chief said, prime downtown location for bars, restaurants, ped mall.

I would say $100 is a steal for the Graduate. But, if a modern, comfortable room and restroom is your top priority, then you could do better with some of the newer hotels in town.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I've stayed at the Graduate several times the past few years. Rooms are fairly standard. Bathrooms are a bit dated and on the smaller side. Hotel has been around for awhile under different brands. Fitness center is by far the best I've ever seen in a hotel. They also have an indoor golf simulator. And like Chief said, prime downtown location for bars, restaurants, ped mall.

I would say $100 is a steal for the Graduate. But, if a modern, comfortable room and restroom is your top priority, then you could do better with some of the newer hotels in town.
It all comes down to my wife, we like access and nice enough of a room. I’m going to assume Iowa city has some decent food.
Psu is pretty disappointing imo.

Hey, sounds like you're planning a fun trip! While I can't speak for Iowa City, I can tell you there's a great hotel in Bucharest, Romania. Prices can vary, but they have some affordable options, allowing you to save for the fun stuff!

Last edited:
Btw I saw the graduate at Iowa city for just over $100 a night Michigan weekend. I’ve stayed at the graduate Annapolis and thought it was a nice hotel . I’m not sure if it’s the same chain though.

The graduate is nice and right down in the middle of downtown and the ped mall. Lots of decent restaurants etc in that area.

For her fiftieth next year we decided on Annapolis because she loves it there. But we’re going to look into it.
Pics of your wife, Nashville? ;)
( i knew that someone else would say this so hey, what the heck?)
I like Annapolis, too. Great steak joint there run by old wrestling family, the Lewnes' Steakhouse. Met them at National Duals in CF years ago, and you won't find nicer people anywhere.

I like Annapolis, too. Great steak joint there run by old wrestling family, the Lewnes' Steakhouse. Met them at National Duals in CF years ago, and you won't find nicer people anywhere.
Dude, we have been there multiple times and my wife requested that for her 50th birthday. 😎😎😎

I wondering if my PSU affiliation will help or hurt me? Lolol I best tip well.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Great ice cream parlor there. Forgot the name, but best pistachio ice cream I've ever had.
There's great everything in Nashville. Since I married my wife almost 20 years ago the city has changed immensely...and it's boomed like crazy in just the past 10 years. I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed with a trip to Nashville. And though it costs more, you absolutely have to stay downtown...the closer to lower Broadway the better because that's where you'll likely end up spending 90 percent of your time.

Just for you, Grapplefann. FWIW, I'm a very fortunate man!! :)

Your wife has very good taste, except maybe for hanging around PSU fans. ;)
Well she lived in Pa. most of her life other than a few childhood years in Florida. My sister met a Naval officer at school who was getting his PhD. They got married and moved to Annapolis. I started to visit down there about 30 years ago which was helped by a cousin who then lived in Columbia , Maryland who managed a Marriot. Free rooms there and discounted in Annapolis made it an attractive destination.

Did you ever eat at O'leary's? Or Chick and Ruth's? We always get breakfast at the latter.

Well she lived in Pa. most of her life other than a few childhood years in Florida. My sister met a Naval officer at school who was getting his PhD. They got married and moved to Annapolis. I started to visit down there about 30 years ago which was helped by a cousin who then lived in Columbia , Maryland who managed a Marriot. Free rooms there and discounted in Annapolis made it an attractive destination.

Did you ever eat at O'leary's? Or Chick and Ruth's? We always get breakfast at the latter.
We might have, but I don't remember the name now. Only been in Annapolis once.
True story: I always wear black to Hawkeye meets, and I was sitting in the stands for National Duals in Cedar Falls many years ago. A guy all decked out in Hawkeye gold came up to me and and said "We just love your steaks!!" I think that he had tears in his eyes.

Turns out that Mr. Lewnes was also wearing a black shirt (even though his kid, Mac, was a Cornell wrestler), and another Hawkeye fan had pointed up in our direction and said "Thank that guy in the black shirt for those fabulous steaks that we had in Annapolis." He then picked the wrong black-shirt guy.

I chatted it up with the Lewnes's afterwards and we all got big chuckle out of that. I think that Dad and one of his kids wrestled at Okie State. Really nice people and super supporters of our sport.

Last edited:
We might have, but I don't remember the name now. Only been in Annapolis once.
True story: I always wear black to Hawkeye meets, and I was sitting in the stands for National Duals in Cedar Falls many years ago. A guy all decked out in Hawkeye gold came up to me and and said "We just love your steaks!!" I think that he had tears in his eyes.

Turns out that Mr. Lewnes was also wearing a black shirt (even though his kid, Mac, was a Cornell wrestler), and another Hawkeye fan had pointed up in our direction and said "Thank that guy in the black shirt for those fabulous steaks that we had in Annapolis." He then picked the wrong black-shirt guy.

I chatted it up with the Lewnes's afterwards and we all got big chuckle out of that. I think that Dad and one of his kids wrestled at Okie State. Really nice people and super supporters of our sport.
I will make sure I try to meet the owner. We never have talked to him before but we were there 3-4 times.

There's great everything in Nashville. Since I married my wife almost 20 years ago the city has changed immensely...and it's boomed like crazy in just the past 10 years. I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed with a trip to Nashville. And though it costs more, you absolutely have to stay downtown...the closer to lower Broadway the better because that's where you'll likely end up spending 90 percent of your time.
I'm generally disappointed with a trip to any city. But it sounds like I would like to meet your wife in Nashville. 🙂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT