ADVERTISEMENT

House GOP demands IRS budget cuts to pay for Israel aid

I think they should keep going after middle-class and upper-middle-class tax cheats as well. The IRS had acknowledged they simply don’t have the skills and resources to go after the worst cheats at the top of the pyramid. This funding should allow them to do that.

Why would anyone want to let any tax cheats off the hook?
But the top of the pyramid folks have top of the pyramid lawyers and CPA’s and 85,000 newbies aren’t going to be able to win the day.
Maybe bring in the more experienced DOJ types?

But the top of the pyramid folks have top of the pyramid lawyers and CPA’s and 85,000 newbies aren’t going to be able to win the day.
Maybe bring in the more experienced DOJ types?
Yes, that is what they’ve expressed. They’re outgunned and outmanned and need the resources to combat increasingly complicated tax evasion.

Reactions: sober_teacher

Deep split erupts between Democrats on Israel-Hamas war​

The growing and personal Democratic split over the Israel-Hamas war is about to spill onto the House floor, with leaders bracing for fights on Israel-related legislation between pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel members of Congress.

Why it matters: "Things could not possibly be any worse than they are right now," one House Democrat lamented.

• Democratic aides and lawmakers told Axios that the upcoming votes on half dozen votes are exacerbating a tense situation.
  • A top aide to another Democrat said their office has been inundated with a "constant" battery of phone calls on the issue.
Several of these bills, despite having Democratic co-sponsors, are poised to split the party.

• The liberal group J Street is pressing House Democrats to vote against a GOP-led resolution condemning "the support of Hamas, Hezbollah, and other terrorist organizations" on college campuses.
  • It also urges Democrats to vote against new sanctions on Iran and a resolution declaring it "not acceptable" for Iran to have nuclear weapons.
The big picture: President Biden's initial response to the Israel-Hamas war sparked some of the harshest criticism he's received from progressives and people of color in his party — and those lawmakers think the party's base is on their side.

• Members of the Squad, the high-profile group of House progressives, accused the White House of empowering Israel to retaliate in a way that has put the lives of tens of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza at risk.
  • "I want [Biden] to know as a Palestinian American and also someone of Muslim faith, I'm not going to forget this," said Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), the first Palestinian-American woman in Congress, at a recent rally protesting the White House's response.
  • The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Zoom in: Nine House Democrats voted against a resolution last week that condemned Hamas and supported Israel, and another six voted "present."

The vote sparked intra-party public feuds.

• Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.) called Rep. Josh Gottheimer a "punk" and "cowardly"after the New Jersey Democrat wrote on X that the Democrats who voted against the resolution supporting Israel and condemning Hamas were "despicable," CNN reports.
  • Rep. Summer Lee (D-Pa.) said "it's not us without a soul" after Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) suggested people who haven't condemned Hamas' slaughter of Israeli civilians "don't have a soul," the New York Times reports.
Between the lines: One area of Democratic unity is on a resolution, expected to get a vote this week, to censure Tlaib for her history of comments on Israel and her speech to a protest at the Capitol complex pressing for a ceasefire in Gaza.

The growing and personal Democratic split over the Israel-Hamas war is about to spill onto the House floor, with leaders bracing for fights on Israel-related legislation between pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel members of Congress.

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/01/israel-hamas-war-congress-democrats-bid

Screw them the rest of us hate Hamas. They may claim to be fighting for a group that deserves some amount of sympathy but the way they do it isn't ok.

That would be like me claiming I'm fighting for St. Jude's children's hospital by committing armed robbery so I can give all the proceeds to St. Judes.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Screw them the rest of us hate Hamas. They may claim to be fighting for a group that deserves some amount of sympathy but the way they do it isn't ok.

That would be like me claiming I'm fighting for St. Jude's children's hospital by committing armed robbery so I can give all the proceeds to St. Judes.
Too bad they are a major part of your party’s future. The Bidens of the world are going to long gone from the party in 10 to 15 years and the Squad members will be THE party by then.

Too bad they are a major part of your party’s future. The Bidens of the world are going to long gone from the party in 10 to 15 years and the Squad members will be THE party by then.

We'll see. I'm not attached to that party other than they are the not authoritarians in the race and the party that didn't attempt a coup in 2021 and didn't spend the last 3 years trying to defend that coup like it was no big deal.

We'll see. I'm not attached to that party other than they are the not authoritarians in the race and the party that didn't attempt a coup in 2021 and didn't spend the last 3 years trying to defend that coup like it was no big deal.
Lol

Is the figure inaccurate?
The IRS is working with old computer equipment and that absolutely must be upgraded. Do we truly need the tens of thousands of new agents? If we give them better equipment could they operate more efficiently with the new technology and maybe not need 85,000 new agents? 5% of Americans are “millionaires” and a significant number of those are folks who are working and putting money into their retirement accounts. Are they all “tax cheats”?
I think the IRS needs to modernize not add huge new numbers of employees and they do not need all that money proposed in the budget.
Holy shit. MAGAts are so clueless. Read.

Most of those 85,000 are replacements for future retirees. They're spread out over A DECADE. The IRS hasn't been able to replace the people leaving NOW much less the people projected to retire over the next ten years. They are down more than 20,000 employees over the past 20 years - positions sitting vacant because they don't have the resources to fill them. And they AREN'T hiring 85,000 new agents...they're hiring customer support people and computer techs, as well.

Because the IRS has proven time and time again they aren’t going after the wealthy they are going after the middle class. Recent audit numbers indicate this.
So folks earning less then $400,000 should be exempt from IRS audits? Treasury has indicated that the proportional share of IRS audits on that group will not increase and instead those over $400,000 will see an increase in their proportional share of IRS audits, addressing and correcting the actual 87% reduction in audits from 2010-2019 that occurred for those folks who earn between $500K - $5M. Less than 2% of taxpayers fall into that income range.

So even if 90% of the IRS' time, energy and resources are devoted to auditing 98% of taxpayers who earn less than $400,000 the other 10% of their resources will be devoted to the 2% of taxpayers who earn $400,000+, which is 5 times more per taxpayer compared to the "middle class" taxpayers.

So, your statements and the tripe you linked to is intellectually dishonest and inaccurate.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT