ADVERTISEMENT

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy cites Republican concerns about Liz Cheney’s ‘ability to carry out her job’ after she calls out Trump

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
McCarthy=SOTE:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy amplified the renewed pressure on No. 3 House Republican leader Liz Cheney on Tuesday, citing rank-and-file concerns about “her ability to carry out her job” after she traded insults with former President Donald Trump.

McCarthy’s comments on the Fox News Channel underscored the continued, if not growing, hold that the former president has on the House GOP. Rather than standing by Cheney, McCarthy essentially landed himself in the camp of her critics, whose increasingly outspoken attacks on her suggest her hold on her leadership job may be in renewed peril.

“I have heard from members concerned about her ability to carry out her job as conference chair, to carry out the message,” said McCarthy, R-Calif. “We all need to be working as one if we’re able to win the majority. Remember, majorities are not given. They are earned.”

McCarthy was interviewed a day after Trump went on an offensive about his false claims that last November’s presidential election was stolen from him. Despite his assertions otherwise, numerous state and federal courts and local election officials have never unearthed evidence of widespread fraud in that voting,

Trump critics have labeled his unfounded claims “The Big Lie,” and he issued a statement trying to use that moniker himself.

“The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!” he wrote.

Paid Post​

What Is This?

9 Strange Things Millionaires Do With Their Money, But Most of Us Have Never Tried

9 Strange Things Millionaires Do With Their Money, But Most of Us Have Never Tried
These are simple money moves any normal, non-millionaire person can make today.
See More
Sponsored Content by The Penny Hoarder

But Cheney, R-Wyo., quickly fired back. She was among 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump for his role in encouraging the Jan. 6 attack by his supporters on the U.S. Capitol, and she used Twitter on Monday to respond to Trump.

“The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system,” she wrote.

The divisions come with Republicans optimistic about their chances of winning back control of the House in the 2022 elections. The GOP believes it has a trove of issues to use against Democrats by attacking President Joe Biden’s handling of the huge numbers of migrants trying to cross the Southwest border and for not prompting pandemic-shuttered schools and businesses to reopen faster.

In February, conservatives unhappy over Cheney’s confrontations with Trump overwhelmingly lost a secret ballot vote of House Republicans aimed at ousting her from her leadership job, 145-61.

But in recent weeks, Cheney’s continued willingness to speak out against Trump has prompted fresh criticism of her. Cheney is a daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and like him is viewed as part of the GOP establishment, making her a natural target for the party’s pro-Trump conservatives.

McCarthy had told reporters that during the House GOP’s closed-door meeting that resulted in Cheney keeping her job, he had defended her.

“People can have differences of opinion. That’s what you can have a discussion about. Liz has a right to vote her conscience,” McCarthy said then.

McCarthy struck a completely different tone on Tuesday. He said GOP lawmakers are concerned about the party’s messaging, which is part of the No. 3 leader’s job.

“What’s our best step forward that we could all work together instead of attacking one another,” McCarthy said. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy amplified the renewed pressure on No. 3 House Republican leader Liz Cheney on Tuesday, citing rank-and-file concerns about “her ability to carry out her job” after she traded insults with former President Donald Trump.
McCarthy’s comments on the Fox News Channel underscored the continued, if not growing, hold that the former president has on the House GOP. Rather than standing by Cheney, McCarthy essentially landed himself in the camp of her critics, whose increasingly outspoken attacks on her suggest her hold on her leadership job may be in renewed peril.

“I have heard from members concerned about her ability to carry out her job as conference chair, to carry out the message,” said McCarthy, R-Calif. “We all need to be working as one if we’re able to win the majority. Remember, majorities are not given. They are earned.”

McCarthy was interviewed a day after Trump went on an offensive about his false claims that last November’s presidential election was stolen from him. Despite his assertions otherwise, numerous state and federal courts and local election officials have never unearthed evidence of widespread fraud in that voting,

Trump critics have labeled his unfounded claims “The Big Lie,” and he issued a statement trying to use that moniker himself.

“The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!” he wrote.

But Cheney, R-Wyo., quickly fired back. She was among 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump for his role in encouraging the Jan. 6 attack by his supporters on the U.S. Capitol, and she used Twitter on Monday to respond to Trump.

“The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system,” she wrote.

The divisions come with Republicans optimistic about their chances of winning back control of the House in the 2022 elections. The GOP believes it has a trove of issues to use against Democrats by attacking President Joe Biden’s handling of the huge numbers of migrants trying to cross the Southwest border and for not prompting pandemic-shuttered schools and businesses to reopen faster.

In February, conservatives unhappy over Cheney’s confrontations with Trump overwhelmingly lost a secret ballot vote of House Republicans aimed at ousting her from her leadership job, 145-61.

But in recent weeks, Cheney’s continued willingness to speak out against Trump has prompted fresh criticism of her. Cheney is a daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and like him is viewed as part of the GOP establishment, making her a natural target for the party’s pro-Trump conservatives.

McCarthy had told reporters that during the House GOP’s closed-door meeting that resulted in Cheney keeping her job, he had defended her.

“People can have differences of opinion. That’s what you can have a discussion about. Liz has a right to vote her conscience,” McCarthy said then.

McCarthy struck a completely different tone on Tuesday. He said GOP lawmakers are concerned about the party’s messaging, which is part of the No. 3 leader’s job.

“What’s our best step forward that we could all work together instead of attacking one another,” McCarthy said.

tenor.gif

Leave trump alone!!!!!!

for the life of me, I can't figure out why so many want to die on the Trump hill.
Same as the Hitler hill. They want authoritarian rule. They are a cult and are White Supremacists and fascists or it's the abortion bullshit. Trump has been involved in numerous abortions himself but they don't care because they are a cult

It really says something when George Bush looks like a moderate now compared to the rest of his party.
based on his recent statements, he really has to be beside himself at what’s happened to his party.
Yes, but they’re not speaking upike they should be. But for a few like Cheney and Kinzinger, the GOP is dead silent.

They still think they can ride the MAGA/Q rollercoaster for votes and and get off when it gets a little too fast. Uh uh. The crazies will be in control by that time and McCarthy and McConnell are not getting their party back.

McCarthy=SOTE:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy amplified the renewed pressure on No. 3 House Republican leader Liz Cheney on Tuesday, citing rank-and-file concerns about “her ability to carry out her job” after she traded insults with former President Donald Trump.

Paid Post​

What Is This?

These are simple money moves any normal, non-millionaire person can make today.
See More
Sponsored Content by The Penny Hoarder

“What’s our best step forward that we could all work together instead of attacking one another,” McCarthy said. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy amplified the renewed pressure on No. 3 House Republican leader Liz Cheney on Tuesday, citing rank-and-file concerns about “her ability to carry out her job” after she traded insults with former President Donald Trump.

“What’s our best step forward that we could all work together instead of attacking one another,” McCarthy said.

That party is lost and anybody who would vote for the lying scum in said party really needs to reevaluate their decisions.

It's easy enough for me to bash Trump. All I get are likes. But for someone like Cheney, I can't imagine the risk.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I completely understand the Democrat's sudden love affair with Liz Chaney,.. but not sure that I'm familiar with any of her more redeeming qualities...

Trump has next to no chance of winning the presidency ever again.
Yeah, I don't think >81 millions Mericans are going to have a drastic change of heart.

But the Republican civil war is good news for Dems in 2022/2024. It might end up just like 2020... not everyone that voted for Biden loved Biden, they just hated Trump more. Same phenomenon where people voted against Hillary, not for Trump.

When States like Georgia and Arizona turn Blue, and the margin narrows in Texas... the Dems have a pretty good future.

That party is lost and anybody who would vote for the lying scum in said party really needs to reevaluate their decisions.
Seriously, as an independent voter I absolutely can't fathom ever voting for any Republican that continues to toe the line for Trump. I certainly can't believe I'm alone in my stance.

How so many Republicans continue to insulate themselves, and their party, for this scumbag of a human being named Donald Trump will never cease to amaze me.

Seriously Republicans, please bring some sanity to your party soon. Thank you to those Rs actually standing against this lunacy, you have my utmost respect.

Yeah, I don't think >81 millions Mericans are going to have a drastic change of heart.

But the Republican civil war is good news for Dems in 2022/2024. It might end up just like 2020... not everyone that voted for Biden loved Biden, they just hated Trump more. Same phenomenon where people voted against Hillary, not for Trump.

When States like Georgia and Arizona turn Blue, and the margin narrows in Texas... the Dems have a pretty good future.

If Trump runs again, his margin of defeat will be much worse. A lot of reluctant Trump voters and Independents jumped off the Trump train after 01-06.

Seriously, as an independent voter I absolutely can't fathom ever voting for any Republican that continues to toe the line for Trump. I certainly can't believe I'm alone in my stance.

How so many Republicans continue to insulate themselves, and their party, for this scumbag of a human being named Donald Trump will never cease to amaze me.

Seriously Republicans, please bring some sanity to your party soon. Thank you to those Rs actually standing against this lunacy, you have my utmost respect.
If Trump stays involved into the mid terms, the Dems will increase their Senate Majority because guys like Ron Johnson and Portman's seat become very winnable.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT