ADVERTISEMENT

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy cites Republican concerns about Liz Cheney’s ‘ability to carry out her job’ after she calls out Trump

But what’s dumb with this argument is that his base was Trump voters to begin with. It’s not like they’re going to bolt to the Democrats or something.
True, but they could sit out the election or simply not vote for his office or vote third party.

If Trump stays involved into the mid terms, the Dems will increase their Senate Majority because guys like Ron Johnson and Portman's seat become very winnable.
Especially with Tim Ryan running for that Ohio Senate seat.

Reactions: MitchLL
Yeah, I don't think >81 millions Mericans are going to have a drastic change of heart.

But the Republican civil war is good news for Dems in 2022/2024. It might end up just like 2020... not everyone that voted for Biden loved Biden, they just hated Trump more. Same phenomenon where people voted against Hillary, not for Trump.

When States like Georgia and Arizona turn Blue, and the margin narrows in Texas... the Dems have a pretty good future.
Still have to overcome some serious gerrymandering by the right. It's going to be very difficult for Democrats to hold the House. The Trumpian base will never leave him.

I doubt it. Regardless, this talk is likely moot, because I doubt Trump will be healthy enough to run in three years.
He’s like the Energizer Bunny of Bad Habits, but he keeps going and going. Being President was the safest place for him from a legal exposure perspective and I think he wants to get back to that.

I just can’t see Harris winning. She was a terrible candidate in the primaries and the US is still a pretty racist and sexist place.

He’s like the Energizer Bunny of Bad Habits, but he keeps going and going. Being President was the safest place for him from a legal exposure perspective and I think he wants to get back to that.

I just can’t see Harris winning. She was a terrible candidate in the primaries and the US is still a pretty racist and sexist place.

For Harris it all depends on if she learns from her mistakes in primary season. On paper she should have the inside track as the VP, but if she runs the same campaign as she did the first time, she’ll lose. On the other hand, if she learns from Biden, who ran a nearly flawless presidential campaign, I think she could win.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Not at all,.. Other than bearing the surname Chaney, I'm not sure what she has brought to the table..
The Democrats don't love her. That was your massive exaggeration. She just happens to be correct in what she's saying about Trump and his cultists.

You're witnessing the pure cowardice of the Republican Party in real time...when they attack her, a true conservative. McCarthy is willing to get rid of her but not a guy who bangs underage girls like Gaetz. That's beyond awful.

Last edited:
Still have to overcome some serious gerrymandering by the right. It's going to be very difficult for Democrats to hold the House. The Trumpian base will never leave him.
Perhaps, but as an example, I think in Iowa, the Dems should have a decent chance to flip CD-1 and CD-2 in the mid terms. A strong economy and Covid in the rear view can overcome the typical mid term scenarios where the Party in the WH loses some seats.

Perhaps, but as an example, I think in Iowa, the Dems should have a decent chance to flip CD-1 and CD-2 in the mid terms. A strong economy and Covid in the rear view can overcome the typical mid term scenarios where the Party in the WH loses some seats.
You are very optimistic!

I see the GOP taking the House next year. It’s just too close.

Reactions: Tom Paris
If he runs against Biden, a toss up.
If he runs against Harris, it’s an electoral landslide.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but how would Trump vs Biden be a tossup? More people voted against an incumbent President in 2020 than at any time in Merican history. What would change that?

You are very optimistic!

I see the GOP taking the House next year. It’s just too close.

The question I have in the midterms is the role of Trump. The GOP got crushed in ‘18 when Trump wasn’t on the ballot but still campaigned for the GOP. I don’t know what lessons to draw from ‘20 when no one could run the traditional campaigns.

The GOP is certainly favored to take the House next year, but it also won’t shock me if the Democrats hold on as well.

The question I have in the midterms is the role of Trump. The GOP got crushed in ‘18 when Trump wasn’t on the ballot but still campaigned for the GOP. I don’t know what lessons to draw from ‘20 when no one could run the traditional campaigns.

The GOP is certainly favored to take the House next year, but it also won’t shock me if the Democrats hold on as well.
That was definitely an advantage for Biden. He could be protected without being called out for it.

That was definitely an advantage for Biden. He could be protected without being called out for it.

I think the bigger advantage for Biden, was ironically, his age and record. Trump and his people tried so many times to define Biden, but badly failed every time because Biden could just point at himself and say, “really”? Meanwhile, Biden also learned from Hillary in ‘16 and refused to engage Trump directly.

but i was thinking more of the down ballot races where Democrats underperformed. I firmly believe they would have done better in a traditional campaign.

I think the bigger advantage for Biden, was ironically, his age and record. Trump and his people tried so many times to define Biden, but badly failed every time because Biden could just point at himself and say, “really”? Meanwhile, Biden also learned from Hillary in ‘16 and refused to engage Trump directly.

but i was thinking more of the down ballot races where Democrats underperformed. I firmly believe they would have done better in a traditional campaign.
That’s true.

I just think many people tend to like divided government. The anti-Trump independents hated Trump but don’t necessarily want everything Biden’s been selling. Very easily could lose them if they feel like a split Congress is the best defense against an agenda they see as too far to the left.

I think the Admin wants to get this stimulus and infrastructure stuff through, then move to the middle early and focus on keeping the House. If the Dems lose the House they are screwed. There will be investigations galore and Biden will probably get impeached within a couple months.

Not seeing that she's trying to "safe" anything...
She has a different opinion. The GQP does not like that. Why are they "sick of her"

McCarthy specifically said he wants a singular voice. There is no room in that party for non Trumper opinions. Why aren't you calling out the Gaetz types instead? Why has Liz ever done that is so bad?

I completely understand the Democrat's sudden love affair with Liz Chaney,.. but not sure that I'm familiar with any of her more redeeming qualities...

We libs are smitten with her because she has exhibited a moral backbone, character and a conscience. I realize that now makes her damaged goods in most GOP circles. Good luck GOP going forward, your implosion is nigh.

That’s true.

I just think many people tend to like divided government. The anti-Trump independents hated Trump but don’t necessarily want everything Biden’s been selling. Very easily could lose them if they feel like a split Congress is the best defense against an agenda they see as too far to the left.

I think the Admin wants to get this stimulus and infrastructure stuff through, then move to the middle early and focus on keeping the House. If the Dems lose the House they are screwed. There will be investigations galore and Biden will probably get impeached within a couple months.

Right, and I don’t know that I disagree with anything. The one thing that gives me pause is that Americans traditionally like divided government...normally. The GOP has made it very clear this year they have no intention of cooperating with Biden on anything, and I’m not sure that’s what we normally have in mind for divided government. If the last Covid bill and the jobs bill Biden is pushing for do well, and both were passed without GOP support, it might be a different story next year.

all conjecture at this point obviously, and like we both have said, you have to give the edge currently to the GOP next year, though I think that’s far from a sure thing.

ADVERTISEMENT