ADVERTISEMENT

House Republicans walk off the House floor in disgust during Matt Gaetz's latest speech

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
CBS News' Robert Costa reports that some House Republicans walked off the House floor in disgust as Gaetz got up to nominate Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) for House Speaker, even though Jordan himself is voting for McCarthy as House Speaker.

"I’m in speaker’s lobby and some members are cursing out Gaetz as they leave the floor," Costa reports on Twitter. “'I’m not listening to this [expletive]!' one House R says... others fuming and going outside to balcony to cool off."

Even though McCarthy picked off some rebel Republicans in his twelfth bid for the Speakership, it was still not enough to overcome defections from Gaetz, as well as Reps. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), Andy Biggs (R-AZ), and others.

McCarthy will now need to seek a 13th ballot to become Speaker, and it still isn't clear if he can make any concessions that will be able to win over his critics in the caucus.

Gaetz in particular has said he'd be willing to see Rep. Hakeem Jefferies (D-NY) become House Speaker if it means denying McCarthy the job.

Hern was nominated by Boebert and he voted for McCarthy, too. How fvcked are these people that they nominate people who don't even want to be nominated? It's sad Republicans keep voting this garbage back in office.

I can't wait for the mess that will be the crafting of the rules. Majority is needed there, too. How does McCarthy get the 200 original supporters to sign off on all the ridiculous promises he made the 15 hold outs?

Hern was nominated by Boebert and he voted for McCarthy, too. How fvcked are these people that they nominate people who don't even want to be nominated? It's sad Republicans keep voting this garbage back in office.

Imagine how things will be once a speaker is elected. With such a razor thin majority the far right wing of the GOP will hold the rest of their party hostage with the votes.

The good thing is that will force the GOP to work across the aisle if they want to get anything passed, and it might mean some compromise. Then again, who am I kidding?

Imagine how things will be once a speaker is elected. With such a razor thin majority the far right wing of the GOP will hold the rest of their party hostage with the votes.

The good thing is that will force the GOP to work across the aisle if they want to get anything passed, and it might mean some compromise. Then again, who am I kidding?
e33b96a7-5fae-47c1-b4c7-60cce9a2818f_text.gif

I can't wait for the mess that will be the crafting of the rules. Majority is needed there, too. How does McCarthy get the 200 original supporters to sign off on all the ridiculous promises he made the 15 hold outs?
Oh, don't fool yourself. As with Trump they will tell themselves that they are doing good work elsewhere, and that they are important to the process, so they'll silently go along with the nuts.

Reactions: cigaretteman
They should give him a basement office.
He's gone from being banished from Fox to being back on primetime, and a king maker. He's going to put a saddle on McCarthy and ride him like a pony.

• Sad
Reactions: Torg
I love watching the monster that the GOP created destroy them from within. They spent a generation making their voting base vapid enough to elect a moron like Matt Gaetz, now they realize what a terrible, terrible mistake they've made and it's too late.
Let’s be honest, McCarthy and Gaetz aren’t that far apart. We shouldn’t give the majority of the GOP credit for being effective, principled representatives. 121 of them - and most of those who stood and nominated McCarty this week (and Kevin McCarthy himself) - voted against certifying the 2020 election results. How many of them supported booting Cheney from her leadership role? Cheered Kinzinger and the others leaving Congress? Elevated MTG into the circle of power?

There’s this narrative emerging that the handful of holdouts are the only crazy ones in the GOP acting in bad faith. Nah, most all of them suck and we’re going to see it first hand over the next two years.

Let’s be honest, McCarthy and Gaetz aren’t that far apart. We shouldn’t give the majority of the GOP credit for being effective, principled representatives. 121 of them - and most of those who stood and nominated McCarty this week (and Kevin McCarthy himself) - voted against certifying the 2020 election results. How many of them supported booting Cheney from her leadership role? Cheered Kinzinger and the others leaving Congress? Elevated MTG into the circle of power?

There’s this narrative emerging that the handful of holdouts are the only crazy ones in the GOP acting in bad faith. Nah, most all of them suck and we’re going to see it first hand over the next two years.
As I pointed out in another thread they are going all in on debt/deficit spending and the need for the way the spend. But hundreds of these same reps. Voted for the huge deficit back in 17-18. Essentially funding those tax cuts with deficit spending. Give us a freaking break guys. U won't cut a damn thing that your sugar daddies love.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT