ADVERTISEMENT

House to vote on same-sex marriage in an effort to push back against court

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
The House is set to vote to protect same-sex and interracial marriages, a direct confrontation with the Supreme Court, whose conservative majority in overturning Roe v. Wade abortion access has sparked concerns that other rights enjoyed by countless Americans may be in jeopardy.

Tuesday's vote in the House is part political strategy setting up an election-year roll call that will force all lawmakers, Republicans and Democrats, to go on the record with their views on the high-profile social issue. It's also part of the legislative branch asserting its authority, pushing back against an aggressive court that appears intent on revisiting many settled U.S. laws.

"As this Court may take aim at other fundamental rights, we cannot sit idly by," Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., the chairperson of the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement.

While the Respect for Marriage Act is expected to pass the House, it is almost certain to stall in the Senate, where most Republicans would surely block it. It's one of several bills, including those enshrining abortion access, that Democrats are pushing to confront the court's conservative majority. Another bill, guaranteeing access to contraceptive services, is set for a vote later this week.

Good, put the GOP's feet to the fire on these issues.

Smart move by Dems. Forcing GOP to choose wrong on such an easy issue.
Yep. The Dems need to do this more often. Get it on record where the GOP stands. It's clear from this that the majority of GOP reps don't want gay marriage. Which is opposite of the American public, especially .... independents and moderates, ya know the swing voters.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Passed 267-157

Amazing that 157 republicans still don't see gay marriage as equal under the law despite American's being overwhelmingly for it.
Wow you are correct. In 1996 27% supported it. Now it is a record high 70%. I am absolutely shocked that over two-thirds support it. Figured maybe 50/50.

Yep. The Dems need to do this more often. Get it on record where the GOP stands. It's clear from this that the majority of GOP reps don't want gay marriage. Which is opposite of the American public, especially .... independents and moderates, ya know the swing voters.

I’ve been saying this.

They don’t have the votes to pass shit now it seems, but you can at least get people on record with their thoughts.

Dems gotta show some balls.

Will they? Time will tell.

Reactions: nelly02
I’ve been saying this.

They don’t have the votes to pass shit now it seems, but you can at least get people on record with their thoughts.

Dems gotta show some balls.

Will they? Time will tell.
Yep. I still think the GOP wins the mid terms and slowly begins to impose Christian nationalism. The real test will be how far they get. At some point the swing voters and mods are going to realize what the end game is but not sure when that will be.

It will certainly be interesting. Between this and the contraception bill the republicans will have to state who they really are.
The fact that any Rs voted against this, let alone the vast majority of them, proves to me that gay marriage will soon be gone, too.

• Love
Reactions: EasyHawk
Think I saw 150 R’s voted against it. They can all go to hell.

Surprisingly, Hinson voted Yes.
And, MMM. Only Feenstra voted against it.
I am a little surprised by MMM. She has a couple of openly gay family members, but I just assumed she’d pander to the crazy core of the GOP and vote against this. She might be more afraid of JoCo moderates at this point. A person who won by six votes might be looking for cover in a post Roe world.

Good, put the GOP's feet to the fire on these issues.

Good for the big picture too.

This is the way it should work anyway. And the Supreme Court has made clear it's going to keep striking down attempts by the legislature to avoid making laws in this country and continue to govern by executive action, bureaucratic rule-making, and court decisions.

It's not just for one party either...you want to repeal Obama Care, then repeal Obama Care.

The expanded ability of both parties to make "laws" without actually making laws has contributed greatly to this "no compromise" situation where congresspeople can stake out hard line no compromise positions because they don't have to actually pass anything.

Whether you are for this legislation or not, it's an important step toward a functioning government again.

Reactions: lucas80
Wow you are correct. In 1996 27% supported it. Now it is a record high 70%. I am absolutely shocked that over two-thirds support it. Figured maybe 50/50.
Because Americans realized that the world didn’t end after it was allowed. Just like after NYPD Blue showed a butt on ABC. Just like after a Hooters opened up at the corner of Welcome Way and Kimberly Rd. Crazy Christian right constantly proven wrong.

Reactions: lucas80
Because Americans realized that the world didn’t end after it was allowed. Just like after NYPD Blue showed a butt on ABC. Just like after a Hooters opened up at the corner of Welcome Way and Kimberly Rd. Crazy Christian right constantly proven wrong.
When gay marriage first came into the public debate I was mostly ambivalent, but push to shove, I’d say I was against it. In short order I came to see that there was no drawback. There were no negative effects that I could see no matter how often someone screamed about the sanctity of marriage being under assault. I remember debating it in rhetoric class one day and telling the deeply conservative professor that if two dudes from Le Mars getting married impacted his marriage he had bigger issues in his marriage.

ADVERTISEMENT