ADVERTISEMENT

How ‘marginal’ FBS schools manipulate the 15,000 attendance requirement

Don't have the app so I couldn't read the entire article.
Attendance numbers are a joke. No school or any pro team I know of announce the actual number of people who show up for an event. They all use tickets sold as the official attendance. Corporations all over the country buy up large numbers of tickets to use to entertain clients with. You can watch any live sporting event and see the announced number rarely matches how many butts are actually in seats.
Who cares how many FBS teams there are or how many bowl games there are? Bowls are a business venture. Corporations and cities sponsor them as a way to increase their visability. If they feel their investment did not produce the desired effect, they will probably not sponsor that bowl game again. No one has to watch a single bowl game. The free market takes care of these issues.

Who cares how many FBS teams there are or how many bowl games there are?
We all should. Especially when programs like Iswho and the like use "# of bowl games" as a badge of honor and measuring stick on how their program is doing. More bowl games means more unworthy teams participating in them and watering it all down. Also, maybe you have too much time on your hands and watch those useless bowls, but most of us don't. We feel offended by them.

We all should. Especially when programs like Iswho and the like use "# of bowl games" as a badge of honor and measuring stick on how their program is doing. More bowl games means more unworthy teams participating in them and watering it all down. Also, maybe you have too much time on your hands and watch those useless bowls, but most of us don't. We feel offended by them.

Why would you be offended by something you have no intention of watching. I dont watch all of them but I do watch a lot of bowl games because I am off work that week. I love college football. I am personally offended by shitty lodging chains.

Reactions: FlickShagwell

One of your stated reasons for wanting less bowl games is because ISU brags about them. Lordy, that’s weak.

When they hired their coach they claimed his playing-days championships, which was odd, but wouldn’t be a reason for cancelling lower-division championships.

I love college football too but I just like it when the bowl season means a little more. I dont mind watching a 10 win MTSU play a 9 win Tulsa or something. Those teams are clearly above .500 and did well in their conference.

Every time I watch a 5-7 bowl qualified team, I cringe. There is money to be made or else those teams wouldn't make it but it waters down the bowls. Not every team has the pedigree of an OSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc... it doesn't mean they suck. 6-6 or 5-7 are both below average records in the modern FBS with the number of winnable games to start the year.

Don't have the app so I couldn't read the entire article.
Attendance numbers are a joke. No school or any pro team I know of announce the actual number of people who show up for an event. They all use tickets sold as the official attendance. Corporations all over the country buy up large numbers of tickets to use to entertain clients with. You can watch any live sporting event and see the announced number rarely matches how many butts are actually in seats.
Who cares how many FBS teams there are or how many bowl games there are? Bowls are a business venture. Corporations and cities sponsor them as a way to increase their visability. If they feel their investment did not produce the desired effect, they will probably not sponsor that bowl game again. No one has to watch a single bowl game. The free market takes care of these issues.
This is how Nebraska has kept their "sellout streak" going.....

I love college football too but I just like it when the bowl season means a little more. I dont mind watching a 10 win MTSU play a 9 win Tulsa or something. Those teams are clearly above .500 and did well in their conference.

Every time I watch a 5-7 bowl qualified team, I cringe. There is money to be made or else those teams wouldn't make it but it waters down the bowls. Not every team has the pedigree of an OSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc... it doesn't mean they suck. 6-6 or 5-7 are both below average records in the modern FBS with the number of winnable games to start the year.
And nobody is talking about the fact that we play Middle Tennessee State this year.....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Bowl games are great. The more the merrier. The kids who play in those low-level bowl games are stoked as sh*t. You don't like it? Don't watch. If the main reason you don't want bowl games to exist between two 6-6 teams is that you don't like teams bragging about playing in a bowl game, then you need to work on your own issues before trying to fix college football.

I'd like an article on how Nebraska manipulates their sell out streak.

bewildered-man-reading-shocking-news-being-astonished-serious-astonished-afro-american-man-holding-newspaper-reading-106380599.jpg

Appear to be a lot of soft millennials on here who were raised in the participation trophy era.

Bowls used to mean something, now all that matters to some fans is that the “kids are stoked to play in them” and how they performed during the season shouldn’t be a factor.

Appear to be a lot of soft millennials on here who were raised in the participation trophy era.

Bowls used to mean something, now all that matters to some fans is that the “kids are stoked to play in them” and how they performed during the season shouldn’t be a factor.

Yeah, you're right. What some miserable old fart thinks about a bowl game is much more important than how the kids participating in it feel, as well as everyone else associated with the game.

I can remember when Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson were the only places to stay. I miss those days . . .

I can remember when Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson were the only places to stay. I miss those days . . .
Unlike bowl games, it’s better to have more options.

Once the tipping point on who gets to play in a bowl is based on “kids feelings” over whether they EARNED IT, that’s a problem those of us who still believe in competition (and keeping score) should all be worried about.

Once the tipping point on who gets to play in a bowl is based on “kids feelings” over whether they EARNED IT, that’s a problem those of us who still believe in competition (and keeping score) should all be worried about.
It most definitely is not based on that. It is based on sponsors and cities willing to foot the bill to put a game on. Times are different.

Has nothing to do with kids' feelings. They are business ventures. Period. Same as motels. If they don't make money, they aren't around for long.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

There seem to be an older crowd that hates football and would like to have less games each year. You act like a 6-6 bid to the Motor city bowl in Detroit is such an admirable accomplishment. Everyone knows that you want to make the playoff or play in a new years six game. I for one would rather have a 5-7 and 6-6 team on my TV in early December then no football at all. Have you been bragging about that big pinstripe bowl win recently? The thing is most bowl games are not important, but it's still better then no football.

I agree that there are too many bowl games and they could stand to cut a few. Most bowls don't make as much money as they'd lead people to believe.

However, the NCAA has to account for the growing number of FBS teams. And they do not want to put themselves back in a situation where a bowl-eligible team misses out because there weren't enough bowl bids to go around.

(For example, while certainly undeserving, Iowa was bowl-eligible at 6-6 back in 2007, but missed a bowl, along with 6-6 Northwestern. That would not happen today.)

There seem to be an older crowd that hates football and would like to have less games each year. You act like a 6-6 bid to the Motor city bowl in Detroit is such an admirable accomplishment. Everyone knows that you want to make the playoff or play in a new years six game. I for one would rather have a 5-7 and 6-6 team on my TV in early December then no football at all. Have you been bragging about that big pinstripe bowl win recently? The thing is most bowl games are not important, but it's still better then no football.

For the record, I am 56 and don't mind the lower-tier bowls at all. I watch them if I am home and not doing anything. No one is forced to watch any bowl game.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I agree that there are too many bowl games and they could stand to cut a few. Most bowls don't make as much money as they'd lead people to believe.

However, the NCAA has to account for the growing number of FBS teams. And they do not want to put themselves back in a situation where a bowl-eligible team misses out because there weren't enough bowl bids to go around.

(For example, while certainly undeserving, Iowa was bowl-eligible at 6-6 back in 2007, but missed a bowl, along with 6-6 Northwestern. That would not happen today.)
We mostly agree, except that I don’t feel 6-6 is a worthy record for bowl eligibility. I personally feel you should have to finish above .500, and only allow 6-6 schools if there aren’t enough to fill out the 24 FBS bowls that the NCAA should cut down to. I think we probably agree on that too.

Has nothing to do with kids' feelings
Not according to MeetTheFerentz and his comment at 7:48 this morning. Kids were stoked to play ...us old farts just don’t understand. Their record and whether a bowl bid was truly earned or not is an antiquated notion.

We mostly agree, except that I don’t feel 6-6 is a worthy record for bowl eligibility. I personally feel you should have to finish above .500, and only allow 6-6 schools if there aren’t enough to fill out the 24 FBS bowls that the NCAA should cut down to. I think we probably agree on that too.

If you started 1-5 and ended at 6-6 then maybe okay, but if generally sucky to average then nah, but I get that it allows for development for the next year with the extra practices, etc.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
For the record, I am 56 and don't mind the lower-tier bowls at all. I watch them if I am home and not doing anything. No one is forced to watch any bowl game.

That time of year sucks to be outside and not as much going on, so sometimes watch them.

Not according to MeetTheFerentz and his comment at 7:48 this morning. Kids were stoked to play ...us old farts just don’t understand. Their record and whether a bowl bid was truly earned or not is an antiquated notion.

I have a positive outlook on college football as a whole today, while you choose to have contempt for a fairly large portion of it. I think more college football is better and think it's great that more kids get to have a bowl game experience, while two 6-6 G-5 teams playing in the Boca Raton Bowl bothers you enough to go on an angry rant on a message board. I can distinguish between what a highly successful season is and what is not, while you think that a Sun Belt team winning the Camelia Bowl is somehow insulting to the Rose Bowl winner and makes that game less meaningful.

Personally, I prefer my approach to this situation......and life in general.

I think more college football is better and think it's great that more kids get to have a bowl game experience, while two 6-6 G-5 teams playing in the Boca Raton Bowl bothers you enough to go on an angry rant on a message board
A) they should have to earn the experience, not have it handed to them for going 5-7 or 6-6

B) I’m just pointing out that it’s only going to get worse as every year another 1-2 FCS schools announce their intentions to move up ...soon we’ll be at 140 FBS schools and 50 bowl games

What a joke.

I've advocated for 7-5 before as well, but I think that could only work with P5 teams.

Too many mid-majors are used as cannon fodder and rack up losses to bigger schools, so you can't necessarily punish them for that while other G5 schools play schedules that would rank in the 100s for FBS.

I do absolutely think 7-5 should be the standard now, but you know that won't change because the schools are afraid of losing money.

A) they should have to earn the experience, not have it handed to them for going 5-7 or 6-6

B) I’m just pointing out that it’s only going to get worse as every year another 1-2 FCS schools announce their intentions to move up ...soon we’ll be at 140 FBS schools and 50 bowl games

What a joke.
There was a time where there was no distinction between divisions. That is how USC has gone so long proclaiming that they've never played an FCS/D1-AA school, despite having played Montana and San Diego multiple times in the past.

And I only bring up USC because in a couple years, that "streak" is gonna end when they add UC Davis to the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT