ADVERTISEMENT

How ‘marginal’ FBS schools manipulate the 15,000 attendance requirement

So you would have sooner had the Hawks stay home in 2017?
The ONLY reason they didn't go to a better bowl is because of the stupid bowl rotation rules ....they would’ve gone bowling regardless in my scenario because they were 7-5. Try to keep up.

It is capitalism. If a city can bring in, say, 30k or 40k fans of both schools that's the profit to the restaurants, hotels and bars similar to a nice convention weekend. The local chamber of commerce likes lower tier bowl games.

It also gives the football teams another three weeks of practice and teaching after the regular season and before the bowl game. Every college football coach in America likes that.

Maybe there are participation trophies, maybe mediocrity is rewarded. Solid points, but I don't see it changing.

The ONLY reason they didn't go to a better bowl is because of the stupid bowl rotation rules ....they would’ve gone bowling regardless in my scenario because they were 7-5. Try to keep up.

I can remember a time when they would have not gotten close to a bowl game at 7-5. Were things better then?

In your scenario the total number of bowl games is 26 (27 counting national championship but those teams are already included in the total). 62 teams in 2017 had at least 7 regular season wins. 10 teams would have been left out. Not saying that Iowa would have gotten the short end of the stick but a 7-5 record would not have guaranteed anything. There, now that I took way too long looking for that info to prove nothing...carry on;)

I can remember a time when they would have not gotten close to a bowl game at 7-5. Were things better then?

I remember that too, early 1980s or so. Only there were not twelve regular season games. Some major college 7-4 teams were left home for the holidays.

Conference bowl tie-ins were very limited. Rose Bowl Big Ten vs. Pac Ten, Sugar Bowl SEC champ vs. other, Orange Bowl Big 8 champ vs. other, Cotton Bowl SWC champ vs. other. After that another ten or so bowls scrambled for the teams they thought would bring the most fans. Some offered nicer paychecks than others. The Fiesta Bowl bought it's way toward the top.

I remember that too, early 1980s or so. Only there were not twelve regular season games. Some major college 7-4 teams were left home for the holidays.

Conference bowl tie-ins were very limited. Rose Bowl Big Ten vs. Pac Ten, Sugar Bowl SEC champ vs. other, Orange Bowl Big 8 champ vs. other, Cotton Bowl SWC champ vs. other. After that another ten or so bowls scrambled for the teams they thought would bring the most fans. Some offered nicer paychecks than others. The Fiesta Bowl bought it's way toward the top.

I looked it up. There were ten bowl games after the 1970 season. There were twelve after the 76 season. There was a lot less parity back then when the bluebloods could have 100 plus scholarship players. The funny one was after 1970 when Lauterbur completed a perfect season by thumping Lou Holtz's William and Mary squad. Frank must have looked like a hot commodity then. Ouch

Reactions: rchawk
If you want to go back to only having ~58 FBS schools with 14 bowls, then 7-5 will not cut it most years. However, I'm only talking about cutting it down to ~96 schools with 24 bowls (+CFP games)

Going by paid attendance ...not actual attendance as mandated by the NCAA.

And literally no one reports actual attendance, including Iowa. Official attendance is tickets sold. Everywhere.
The sad thing is actual attendance is easier to find than ever. The scanning machines can provide a running update every time they scan a ticket. No one wants to acknowledge there are less than capacity crowds showing up. "Official attendance" numbers are as accurate as weights on HS rosters.

It’s really up to the NCAA to enforce receipt of actual attendance figures, if that’s what the rules state are to be used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT