ADVERTISEMENT

How a 17-Year-Old's Birthday Party Became the Biggest Thing on the Internet

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Okay, that's just crazy! I don't even like a party with more than 10 people, so this would be insane!

Taylor Lorenz
Tue, May 25, 2021, 7:04 AM

A week ago, Adrian Lopez, 17, was just an average high school student in Eastvale, California. But after a digital flyer he made inviting friends to Huntington Beach for his birthday went viral — to the point of attracting thousands of strangers to the beach and to an event space in Los Angeles — he’s become a household name on social media.
He made the invitation on Monday, specifying a time (7:30 p.m.), place (fire pits) and date (May 22). “Slide tru this Saturday we finna turn up!!!!” read the bottom of the image, which was titled “Adrian’s Kickback.”
“It was meant to be for my school,” Lopez said.

In an attempt to drum up more interest, Lopez’s friend, Yahir Hernandez, 16, posted the flyer to Snapchat, then to his personal TikTok account. “Tuesday morning was when Yahir made the TikTok,” Lopez said. “I was on my way to school and it only had like 40 likes, so I ignored it.” But over the next few days the video took off. Something about the specifics of the invite felt hilarious to those who encountered it. “Who is Adrian?” people commented.

The video took hold on TikTok’s powerful “For You” recommendation algorithm and gained mass distribution. Overnight, it became a meme. Internet celebrities and creators including the music artist 24kGoldn, members of FaZe Clan and Noah Beck posted about it. By the weekend of the event, TikTok videos with the hashtag #adrianskickback had attracted nearly 280 million views.
At first, Lopez and Hernandez thought the viral attention was fun. They were enjoying their 15 minutes of fame, DMing with high-profile people who had hyped up the event. “We were building connections with artists, we’re building connections with top people,” Hernandez said.

But Friday night, they began to get nervous. People were posting about flying in from around the country for the event. One person said they were driving 18 hours with a group of people to be there. And on Friday night, the night before the kickback, around 1,000 people showed up to Huntington Beach looking for a party. The police quickly shut it down, but Hernandez and Lopez no longer felt in control.

Worried they’d get in trouble for inciting a riot, Hernandez began working with an older friend he’d met in the events business. “We honestly got scared, so we thought about the idea of getting a venue,” Hernandez said.

They partnered with the popular sneaker and streetwear store Cookies N’ Kicks to sell $40 tickets to the event, and changed the location to an undisclosed space in Los Angeles to be revealed shortly before the party.

On Saturday afternoon, a line of kids waiting to buy tickets to Adrian’s kickback at Cookies N’ Kicks stretched around the block. Teenagers in line said that they believed it would be the party of the century and that they’d heard top content creators would be making appearances.

Connor Hickman, 16, who came to Huntington Beach on Saturday, echoed that sentiment. “Because of COVID most everyone’s been inside for a year. My school has been online until about two months ago,” he said. “We were welcoming the opportunity to get outside and do something fun.”

Because of the viral nature of the event, it also attracted content creators. YouTubers, TikTokers and live streamers went to make posts about it for the millions at home who couldn’t attend. Jamar Zelaya, a 19-year-old YouTuber who was waiting outside Cookies N’ Kicks on Saturday, planned to capture footage for his channel. “The chaos, the entertainment, the electricity — people want to see people wild out and look stupid,” Zelaya said. “If you don’t go, you’re missing out on history.”

A 14-year-old content creator known as Donlad, who has dubbed himself “the richest kid in America,” organized a limousine to take Lopez, Hernandez and their friends into Los Angeles for Saturday night’s festivities. “I saw this on TikTok and I was like OK, I want to hop in on this,” he said. “I don’t just want to go to the kickback, I gotta meet this kid.”

Given teenagers’ outsize expectations of the event, it was always bound to disappoint, but signs of real trouble began to show on Saturday evening. Lopez and Hernandez had said that they’d be announcing the address for the kickback venue at 9:30 p.m., but when the time rolled around, they pushed it back to 11:30 p.m., leaving teens who had traveled into the city anxious.

Meanwhile, many other people had not gotten word that the event had been moved to Los Angeles and a crowd began to grow at Huntington Beach. Thousands of teenagers poured onto the beach ready for a party. They formed a mosh pit, blasted music and cheered as some took turns scaling a flagpole and climbing on top of a stoplight. Some set off fireworks, ran through the traffic intersections, or jumped from high locations into the crowd below.

Emily McIntosh, 19, a hostess at the restaurant Duke’s in Huntington Beach, said that employees were stuck inside the eatery for hours after closing because the situation outside became too dangerous to leave. “It was kind of scary, I drove through with my roommates,” McIntosh said.

When police began trying to disperse the crowd, things turned violent. The windshield of a police car was smashed and some people threw bottles and other objects at the police. The police shot nonlethal rounds into the crowd. Eventually, authorities issued an emergency overnight curfew and nearly 150 attendees were arrested.

Back in Los Angeles, Lopez’s official kickback was also doomed. The address, which was never officially shared with ticket holders, leaked. By midnight, a crowd had shown up at the venue. After a police officer responded to the scene, the party was shut down before it even began.

Click to keep reading:

It's just a teenage kid, but damn. If he could have acted quickly and partnered with someone to pull something off, he could have had "set for life" money. It's too bad some kind of legit event company couldn't reach out to the kid and put something legitimate together.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Read the thread title and thought Bean was posting another thread about his sister in law. 17, 21, close enough.

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
ADVERTISEMENT