ADVERTISEMENT

How and can the offense outflank the 8-9 men in the box???

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
If Kirk and especially Brian are not working 100% on plays to outflank defenses then they should quit coaching or be fired. SDState was just playing defense to clog up and stop the run from just outside each tackle inward. The hawks need to outflank defenses if they are going to score.

How do you do this?

1. Run jet sweep action on a very high percentage of plays even when in shotgun where the little flip to the jet sweep player is actually a safe pass behind the LOS if it is dropped.
2. Regular reverses and fake reverses SDState was flowing hard to our motion so make them pay for that.
3. Quick pitches to the running back for sweeps to the outside, I think we had one run by LWilliams where he took it to the outside and he got the edge and gained 9 to 10 yards.
4. Use those wide receiver screens to the boundary a lot even if throwing to the TEnds or using TEnds to block.
5. Quick throws to any receiver who has soft coverage on them.

Any other ways the hawks can get this done to maybe force defenses out of crowding the box?

And yes I know, you need a pretty accurate QB to make all these throws and lead receivers correctly but that might need to be the next item on the list.

Play an actual D 1 qb is the first step, second but not least is find an actual OC that has some clue what he is doing.
Oh I am with you especially on the OC part. Brian to me has never been able to consistently 'scratch where it itches' or find weak areas of a defense. His 2017 crushing of ohio st was a long time ago.

And Petras really has trouble throwing to the outside as there is just something with his footwork and body mechanics. But I notice he seems to throw much more accurately between the hashes.

But like you say if you are going to throw a lot of bubble screens etc and quick throws to receivers at the LOS then those throws have to be very accurate so the receiver can catch and be ready to make a move and run.

If Kirk and especially Brian are not working 100% on plays to outflank defenses then they should quit coaching or be fired. SDState was just playing defense to clog up and stop the run from just outside each tackle inward. The hawks need to outflank defenses if they are going to score.

How do you do this?

1. Run jet sweep action on a very high percentage of plays even when in shotgun where the little flip to the jet sweep player is actually a safe pass behind the LOS if it is dropped.
2. Regular reverses and fake reverses SDState was flowing hard to our motion so make them pay for that.
3. Quick pitches to the running back for sweeps to the outside, I think we had one run by LWilliams where he took it to the outside and he got the edge and gained 9 to 10 yards.
4. Use those wide receiver screens to the boundary a lot even if throwing to the TEnds or using TEnds to block.

Any other ways the hawks can get this done to maybe force defenses out of crowding the box?

And yes I know, you need a pretty accurate QB to make all these throws and lead receivers correctly but that might need to be the next item on the list.
This is an actual logical plan, it's not going to happen. Lol

How do you do this?

All good thoughts but none that change anything when you’re getting dominated at the LoS. All those trick sweeps and reverses mean is a loss of yards. As far as quick throws, slants could help a little bit but the defense needs to respect intermediate and deep routes to really work. And clearly SDSU didn’t respect either of those things and for good reason.

Reactions: kceasthawk
All good thoughts but none that change anything when you’re getting dominated at the LoS. All those trick sweeps and reverses mean is a loss of yards. As far as quick throws, slants could help a little bit but the defense needs to respect intermediate and deep routes to really work. And clearly SDSU didn’t respect either of those things and for good reason.
Yes, the playcalling could improve to use more counters. But you have to actually be a threat with your core principal plays for the counters to improve. When unblocked d-linemen or linebackers just running through a gap are blowing up your inside and outside zone plays, going to jet sweeps and counters is just going to result in more pain. You have to be able to block and execute your basic plays for the other stuff to work.

You are 100% right the quick throws and slants go nowhere if the defense has no respect for you going over the top. SDSU played all 11 guys near the LOS and there's just nowhere to go with the ball.

Iowa used to be known as an Oline program. That is a long time ago.

Last edited:
Yes, the playcalling could improve to use more counters. But you have to actually be a threat with your core principal plays for the counters to improve. When unblocked d-linemen or linebackers just running through a gap are blowing up your inside and outside zone plays, going to jet sweeps and counters is just going to result in more pain. You have to be able to block and execute your basic plays for the other stuff to work.

You are 100% right the quick throws and slants go nowhere if the defense has no respect for you going over the top. SDSU played all 11 guys near the LOS and there's just nowhere to go with the ball.
Don't disagree with the premise, but the problem i have with counters currently is that they're slow-developing plays, and we saw yesterday how difficult those were to execute because the line had trouble holding up.

Passing game will be limited at best until we get more receivers healthy. I figured the O would struggle yesterday once it became official that Keegan was out, and no Bostick; and then no Gavin either. 2 scholarship receivers, including 1 who'd never played before, only 1 RB with any experience, plus all the new blood on the line...I wouldn't have been surprised had we simply struggled to something like a 24-3 win or something. Never would have imagined it would look as inept as they did.

If nothing else, I figured we'd wear them down in the 2nd half.

How do you do this?

I remember one sweep for Bruce, successful. Two screens, one where Petras overthrow the back, with a guy in his face. The other was to a receiver? And I don’t think amounted to much.

Line up 5 receivers wide and let him sling it! Gotta throw something at them they wont be expecting!

When was the last time Iowa went hurry up no huddle?

Try that for a couple seres - their first possession for example - guarantee ISU will not expect that. Its been awhile but my recollection is that the uptempo no-huddle worked more often than not precisely because it is so anti-Iowa.... Added bonus - scripting 8-10 plays makes it easier for Petras/

When was the last time Iowa went hurry up no huddle?

Try that for a couple seres - their first possession for example - guarantee ISU will not expect that. Its been awhile but my recollection is that the uptempo no-huddle worked more often than not precisely because it is so anti-Iowa.... Added bonus - scripting 8-10 plays makes it easier for Petras/
I mean at some point you have to keep trying things that will help your team get in a rhythm. Everything should be on the table/discussed. If nothing else, it keeps the same defensive personnel on the field. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Reactions: unclesammy
SDSU may have had 8-9 house in the box, but they also had 5-6 covering the receivers. Yes, that's 13-15 guys.

I don't get it.

Reactions: amahawk
Kneeling 3 times and punting.
"How do y'all like my new offense?" Red Boyou
iu

• Haha
Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT